Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Eh? Majority of non-casuals on all platforms has been saying CoD sucks for generations. It's the fanbase of one platform who suddenly changed opinion. Doesn't change the fact how important it is in the bigger picture.
I've seen people who have nothing to do with console wars say that COD sucks. But they buy it anyway.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Anyone who wants a games industry crash, or even thinks one is possible these days, has no credibility speaking about anything.

P

peter42O

Damn if this deal falls through I can clearly foresee how the Xbox fanboys will say: “Uh Activision Blizzard games are mid, I didn’t want Microsoft to buy them anyway” xD

In all honesty, I never wanted ABK. Still don't. Would have easily preferred Ubisoft or WB or EA over ABK because they have far more games that im interested in where as with ABK, it's only Diablo IV. With that said, business wise and for what Microsoft wants to do, they are the better decision when compared to those other three publishers, just not for me.

OP
OP
Darth Vader

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
For those outside the EU: it doesn't work like the FTC. If the EU Comission blocks it, it's blocked. Microsoft or Activision (or both) will the have to appeal to the Court of Justice of the European Union. I don't think they ever reversed a decision from the commission in regards to acquisitions (I admit I may be wrong).

If I'm right, this is it, deal is gone. Assuming that rumour is true.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
For those outside the EU: it doesn't work like the FTC. If the EU Comission blocks it, it's blocked. Microsoft or Activision (or both) will the have to appeal to the Court of Justice of the European Union. I don't think they ever reversed a decision from the commission in regards to acquisitions (I admit I may be wrong).

If I'm right, this is it, deal is gone. Assuming that rumour is true.

The UK is the same situation. Once their competition bureau makes their decision, that’s it.

Same for Canada, but nobody cares about what Canada says, and our competition bureau is incredibly worthless. They’d rubber stamp every company in this country merging into one megalithic zaibatsu.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
And none of t
View attachment 272

I think they want Sony to have to show their release schedule in court so they can argue that Playstation already has too many games and can afford to lose access to ABK's games. Probably also argue that they won't be able to compete without owning it.
Doesn't matter, as it isn't germane to the predicates of the case.

How many games Sony may or may not be releasing this year has no correlation to Microsoft being the world's biggest software publishing company and Activision being the world's biggest dedicated games publisher in the world.

This isn't about Xbox vs Playstation, it is about making the biggest software company in the world dominant in every type of software.

arvfab

Slayer of Colossi
23 Jun 2022

Could easily backfire. If Sony can prove (should be pretty easy) that they can have a constant flow of releases with lesser studios than Microsoft already have, it would show that MS is incapable of managing (their) studios and/or to integrate new acquisitions to their existing ones. It's not very pro-consumer if the biggest 3rd party publisher is crippled by bad management.

OP
OP
Darth Vader

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Microsoft can subpoena Sony all they want. This is dust to their army's eyes. Besides, whatever they provide the FTC with doesn't matter for the EU or UK. And I seriously doubt they will get anything that we don't know of yet.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Could easily backfire. If Sony can prove (should be pretty easy) that they can have a constant flow of releases with lesser studios than Microsoft already have, it would show that MS is incapable of managing (their) studios and/or to integrate new acquisitions to their existing ones. It's not very pro-consumer if the biggest 3rd party publisher is crippled by bad management.
It does make me wonder if it's possible for a publisher to buy up more dev studios than can be effectively managed.

Last edited:

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Microsoft has low-marketshare today because they came out on a public stage and spit in consumers faces with the Xbox One reveal. That's on them.

-They tried to take games ownership away from consumers to maximize profits.
-They failed to invest in the games, experiences, and IPs that gaming consumers wanted.
-They sacrificed internal development for 'Blocking Rights' on other people's games, be it COD map packs, TitanFall, or millions of dollars to block Rise of the Tomb Raiders PS4 release, and more.
-They shipped an underpowered, underdesigned box with a proprietary spycam to maximize advertising opportunities.

MS is responsible for their current position. MS, the customers rejected your poor business plan and undesirable products, and now you've been positioned out of the market by your competitors.

Sorry, not sorry.