Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
This was fixed last year, the mandatory online check has been removed.

Yes, I was sharing what the original problem was.

The problem with Series X games, however, remains because of the way Smart Delivery is setup. There is only one SKU (e.g., Xbox One disc), and you won't be able to play a Series X version of the game without a download.

Correct me if I'm wrong on this one, as I'm not a physical media guy and may have been mistaken.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Elder Legend

CEO of Gaming Instincts (Industry Veteran)
10 Jan 2023
Yes, I was sharing what the original problem was.

The problem with Series X games, however, remains because of the way Smart Delivery is setup. There is only one SKU (e.g., Xbox One disc), and you won't be able to play a Series X version of the game without a download.

Correct me if I'm wrong on this one, as I'm not a physical media guy and may have been mistaken.
Sounds like more of a logistical/technical issue rather than MS trying to force digital only or not allow you to play games of physical media like some others have stated. Basically blown out of proportion as always.

D

Deleted member 417

I remember a time when forums were full of people telling me how much better digital will be for me and the industry. Much better than having to get up and swap a game, we were all told. Without having to print a physical disc, games would go down in price, we were assured.

In a few short years physical has all but disappeared and has become the vinyl of the games industry. And in that time we have seen a disgusting rise in MTX, DLC and lootboxes. Not to mention always online multiplayer games.

But but but those things always existed when there was physical.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I remember a time when forums were full of people telling me how much better digital will be for me and the industry. Much better than having to get up and swap a game, we were all told. Without having to print a physical disc, games would go down in price, we were assured.

In a few short years physical has all but disappeared and has become the vinyl of the games industry. And in that time we have seen a disgusting rise in MTX, DLC and lootboxes. Not to mention always online multiplayer games.

The silver lining is UK, EU are writing into law being against those practices to protect consumers and mainly kids. Seeing so many failed GAAS titles recently I think we will see hopefully more better planned/developed titles. Right now the market is starting to correct itself. It just took longer. Ubisoft made a ton of Battle Royale/MTX ridden titles and look at where they are?

A lot of them didn't pan or had lasting appeal. Look at 2k? Look at Madden? I think honestly this shake up was what was needed. i think Sony will have a wake up call on a couple of their titles if not planned correctly.

D

Deleted member 417

The silver lining is UK, EU are writing into law being against those practices to protect consumers and mainly kids. Seeing so many failed GAAS titles recently I think we will see hopefully more better planned/developed titles. Right now the market is starting to correct itself. It just took longer. Ubisoft made a ton of Battle Royale/MTX ridden titles and look at where they are?

A lot of them didn't pan or had lasting appeal. Look at 2k? Look at Madden? I think honestly this shake up was what was needed. i think Sony will have a wake up call on a couple of their titles if not planned correctly.
That's good news. How the UK of all places allowed mtx and lootboxes in kids games is beyond me. You have to be 18 to gamble, yet its OK to slap it in a game with a 12 rating? (or whatever the modern day equivalent is).

It's shameful that companies were allowed to do it.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022

ubisoft now had plenty of mobile games instead :D they completely lost it.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
That's good news. How the UK of all places allowed mtx and lootboxes in kids games is beyond me. You have to be 18 to gamble, yet its OK to slap it in a game with a 12 rating? (or whatever the modern day equivalent is).

It's shameful that companies were allowed to do it.
it does not matter. it is 12 or 25 years. a lot of people have problem with it. it shouldn't exist at all. it is an exploit of human psychology.

D

Deleted member 417

it does not matter. it is 12 or 25 years. a lot of people have problem with it. it shouldn't exist at all. it is an exploit of human psychology.
100% correct. It uses psychology against people to manipulate them into buying things. Let's call it what it is, Mind Rape.

Elder Legend

10 Jan 2023

The reason why you see such a rise in MTX, DLC, Lootboxes and Live Service games is simply because the development cost have risen astronomically. The time it takes to make games now also take longer than ever. There is simply no way around it. This is not the 90s where Gaming wasn't as popular or as big. It is now mainstream, and the whole world is involved which includes celebrities, voice actors, advertisers, sponsors, more women than before, more grown adults than before, streamers, youtube, twitch, etc.... it's just very big now and a ton of money is involved.

Hell, you have 80 year olds streaming on Twitch playing World of Warcraft to hundreds of viewers.

Watch WowGrandma78 with me on Twitch!

When World of Warcraft new raid tier starts, the world first race which is a community event has over 60K people watching it who wins. Back in the day, people would laugh at you at trying to be competitive in video games and make a mockery out of it.

Now granted, yes there are publishers that get overly greedy with that stuff I'll agree there but the reality is that it's nearly unsustainable just selling titles at $70.

This is going to sound absolutely crazy too some people but $70 cost for a game purchase is actually really cheap with how much development costs went up. For a consumer, $70 is very expensive but from a sales standpoint its nowhere near enough.

Sony is one of the very few companies that can get away with making money due to their solid single player games that have none of that. But you have to remeber a lot of those are established franchises that have been around for years and are selling a brand. This is also why new IPs are not safe and extremely risky. Thankfully, dome confideent publishersand developers still do take those risks.

Either way, It's a very rough situation for both sides of the coin.

24 Jun 2022
I think it has to account for something, why else would they open the forum for it otherwise.

It does. I just think its usefulness in the proceedings is being massively overstated.

I think legally the CMA has to get public input to give an appearance of transparency. Doesn't mean they let the deal through unconditionally just because a bunch of biased folks sent them letters in favor of it. I think even Hoeg law admitted that in his videos.

Hope that dude's recovering well.

The reality is that the digital future is coming whether you like it or not and to be fair we are basically almost here. I highly doubt you will see physical media anymore come PS6 and Next Xbox in the year 2028 or later.

At least the PS6 will still support discs, though by default will likely be digital-only and you'd need to buy a fit-to-form disc addon to play physical games.

Dunno if Microsoft would provide that option, or if they just go with a 3P option (I'm still of the opinion the next Xbox "consoles" are going to be more like what Steam Machines wanted to be, but I digress).

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
It does. I just think its usefulness in the proceedings is being massively overstated.

Hope that dude's recovering well.

At least the PS6 will still support discs, though by default will likely be digital-only and you'd need to buy a fit-to-form disc addon to play physical games.

Dunno if Microsoft would provide that option, or if they just go with a 3P option (I'm still of the opinion the next Xbox "consoles" are going to be more like what Steam Machines wanted to be, but I digress).
There won’t be a next XBox.

Elder Legend

10 Jan 2023

Dunno if Microsoft would provide that option, or if they just go with a 3P option (I'm still of the opinion the next Xbox "consoles" are going to be more like what Steam Machines wanted to be, but I digress
How do you 100% if PS6 is gonna support disc's? Is that confirmed ? Link please. I doubt either of them will support discs.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Let's revisit this if this post still exists online after a couple of years

🤭
Are you still employed after the recent Microsoft cuts?

Time For Bed Weekend GIF

Elder Legend

10 Jan 2023
Are you still employed after the recent Microsoft cuts?

Time For Bed Weekend GIF
For a 50 year old man, you sure do act like a young childish warrior on internet forums over plastic boxes. Trust me, your not getting younger by acting like this my dude. Have a look in the mirror and calm down dude and just play games and enjoy your life. It's not that serious.

D

Deleted member 417

The reason why you see such a rise in MTX, DLC, Lootboxes and Live Service games is simply because the development cost have risen astronomically. The time it takes to make games now also take longer than ever

There's no need for games outside of AAA to take longer than they used to, considering it's easier now to make games and add assets than ever before.

This is not the 90s where Gaming wasn't as popular or as big. It is now mainstream
Games cost more because they sell more than ever, to a bigger audience than ever, which means they cost more and are more risky?

Economies of scale makes it cheaper to create a product for more people. What the difference is between now and the 90s is quality and quantity. In the 90s you had fewer games but higher quality, which is the opposite today. To solve this problem, the industry needs to be cleansed.
the reality is that it's nearly unsustainable just selling titles at $70.
Sony do pretty well at selling games for 70 quid a pop. And some maybe new franchises but TLoU and Uncharted were new only a gen ago. GoW got a remake and blew people away. Horizon came from nowhere and sold gangbusters.

The only company saying gaming is unsustainable at 70 per game, is the company who is trying to redefine an industry almost half a century old.

Reactions: laynelane

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
For a 50 year old man, you sure do act like a young childish warrior on internet forums over plastic boxes. Trust me, your not getting younger by acting like this my dude. Have a look in the mirror and calm down dude and just play games and enjoy your life. It's not that serious.
Oh, stop being such a crybaby, if you can't take humor, then find another forum to flex your constant victim card, remember your the person calling people cunts and actively admitting to trolling people on discord.

Have some self-reflection MR Pot kettle.

Stick to what you are best at, trying to fellatio Microsoft with your please notice me Phil 10/10 reviews of scorn.

Last edited:

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
He made a small joke, you are taking it way to seriously.
Calm Down Golden Girls GIF by TV Land

Elder Legend

10 Jan 2023
There's no need for games outside of AAA to take longer than they used to, considering it's easier now to make games and add assets than ever before.

Games cost more because they sell more than ever, to a bigger audience than ever, which means they cost more and are more risky?

Economies of scale makes it cheaper to create a product for more people. What the difference is between now and the 90s is quality and quantity. In the 90s you had fewer games but higher quality, which is the opposite today. To solve this problem, the industry needs to be cleansed.

Sony do pretty well at selling games for 70 quid a pop. And some maybe new franchises but TLoU and Uncharted were new only a gen ago. GoW got a remake and blew people away. Horizon came from nowhere and sold gangbusters.

The only company saying gaming is unsustainable at 70 per game, is the company who is trying to redefine an industry almost half a century old.
"There's no need for games outside of AAA to take longer than they used to, considering it's easier now to make games and add assets than ever before.

Economies of scale makes it cheaper to create a product for more people. What the difference is between now and the 90s is quality and quantity. In the 90s you had fewer games but higher quality, which is the opposite today. To solve this problem, the industry needs to be cleansed."

No offense but I don't think you understand how game development works. Progressively games got more and more advanced. 3D assets are extremely expensive now days. Your not dealing with small polygons anymore. Games are starting to blend between Game and Cinematic quality.

Higher resolution models, textures and sculpting takes a ton of talent and money. It doesn't matter if you are AAA or not. This is why a lot of indie devs rely on more cartoon visual art styles or even 2D art because it's cheaper to produce but can still look good.

There is a massive difference between 90s and now. Game standards have astronomically risen. A good looking platforming game is not good enough anymore. People want more advanced AI, more dynamic eco systems , better visuals. Back in the day, you could get away easy with a lot of stuff, because gaming wasn't as prominent as it is now.

It was a lot easier to set the standard for a FPS games, RTS or anything else. Now? Not so much.

I don't know why you are telling me Sony is doing well at $70. I already made that point to you as well. You are acting as if I am disagreeing about Sony. Very few publishers ca get away with it. Sony is doing well cause of reputation and being around since the 90s, just like Nintendo thst hsve existed since the 80s and csn sell you the same product over and over at full price. They don't need to prove much.

But for any other 3rd party developer or publisher $70 is an issue, and not very sustainable.

I highly suggest you look up the costs game art assets, voice actors and among other 10x million things. Don't forget the insane marketing budgets and advertising. With the power of social media platforms publishers now spend more money on ads than they did ever ever. There were no influences, youtube, Facebook or anything like that in the 90s. Open up your mind a bit dude, you sre thinking very narrowly and not looking at the whole picture. Hope this helps.