Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
So, how about those Xbox numbers for last year?

Shareholders might just force the plug to be pulled on the Activision deal if Xbox is tanking as badly as it is from the quarterly results.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Lord Mittens

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
So, how about those Xbox numbers for last year?

Shareholders might just force the plug to be pulled on the Activision deal if Xbox is tanking as badly as it is from the quarterly results.
we may very well be in the last year of the xbox console being a thing, yeah. I expect them to tacitly announce they are exiting the console manufacturing business by phasing out Series X (already seems to be happening) while continuing to offer the Series S as a cheap casual console option for a few more years.

Gamepass will continue on, and they'll try to make deals to get their current projects that show sales potential (like starfield) onto competing consoles.

With Bethesda under their wing, they can continue on as a 3rd party publisher, much like Sega.

Aside from Bethesda, their first party doesn't seem to be valuable to anyone, not even themselves. Expecting more layoffs there.

Last edited:

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
we may very well be in the last year of the xbox console being a thing, yeah. I expect them to announce they are exiting the console manufacturing business by phasing out Series X (already seems to be happening) while continuing to offer the Series S as a cheap casual console option for a few more years.

Gamepass will continue on, and they'll try to make deals to get their current projects that show sales potential (like starfield) onto competing consoles.

With Bethesda under their wing, they can continue on as a 3rd party publisher, much like Sega.

Aside from Bethesda, their first party doesn't seem to be valuable to anyone, not even themselves. Expecting more layoffs there.
Yeah, I don't think their console is going away any time soon, but if things aren't looking significantly better for them by the end of this year I think some tough calls will be made.

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Overall, if I had any money invested into the xbox ecosystem right now, i'd try to recoup as much as possible in 2023, before the shit hits the fan, so to speak.

1. Sell your hardware on Ebay et al before it loses the majority of its value.
2. Try to diversify and invest in another ecosystem, be it PS/Nintendo/PC before Xbox goes bust and you lose everything
3. Cancel any active subscriptions tied to Xbox, refund what digital content you can.
4. Start saving for a different platform if need be, if you wish to continue gaming post-xbox.

It's going to be tough, but folks who bought a Dramcast remember the process well. Xbox folks, you're not alone in this. These things happen in this business. Xbox has had a very rough decade, and it comes with consequences.

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Yeah, I don't think their console is going away any time soon, but if things aren't looking significantly better for them by the end of this year I think some tough calls will be made.
It's what happens when stuff starts trending lower and lower. Unfortunately for Series, it's on track to do worse than Xbox One.

With a downwards trajectory, no parent company will continue to take loss after loss. A healthy business will cut, in fact IT MUST CUT to appease shareholders and preserve the value on the stock market.

Unfortunately, Xbox is eating into MS's bottom line.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
The One generation compared to the current Series S|X is disastrous. Xbox division was by a hairbreadth away to be shutdown. I can honestly see if ABK deal fails that Xbox as a console will stop to exist in the near future.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
They are past the point where the historic losses are already too much for the bulk of their shareholders.

MS supported Epic in their lawsuit against Apple last year, and in doing so put some interesting facts into the court record. The worst revelation for Xbox fans is that the Xbox division has only had two quarters where it turned a profit, and those quarters were not consecutive, either.

That is six months out of a 23-year existence as a division of the corporation where Xbox did not lose money. The whole enterprise has been a money pit that never found a way to profit consistently or for a sustained period of time. How can anyone argue to keep it going any longer than it already has if there's such significant loss of market interest in the product?

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
ABK is the last hail mary pass. they've already stated they can't compete without it, and i do believe they're being honest there.

Even something like the COD marketing deal would give them a boost, for sure. But as of right now, they have no 1st party IP of value (Last halo and gears both did awful, from what we know).

They have no killer exclusive IP and have been locked out of every 3rd party marketing deal that matters due to low marketshare.

this is it, folks. they don't have long left.

• fire
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
That is all it has EVER done. MS themselves came clean on that in the filings they made to support Epic's lawsuit against Apple.
yup, but the 'promise' of growth was always there, especilly after the 360. investors may have believed, and Phil may have leveraged his 'lifer' status at Microsoft (he's been working there since he was 20 years old and has tremendous status and sway at the company) to give Xbox a second chance after the One's fumbles.

That comes to an end now that Series is trending lower than Xbox One.

The brand was irreperably tarnished after the Xbox One reveal. There is no saving a 'toxic' brand, and Xbox's continued diminished market position year after year is proof.

I am 100% convinced Xbox is coming to an end this year, if ABK is blocked and starfield fails to deliver anything other than a 90+ metacritic game that sells ~10m units.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
yup, but the 'promise' of growth was always there, especilly after the 360. investors may have believed, and Phil may have leveraged his 'lifer' status at Microsoft (he's been working there since he was 20 years old and has tremendous status and sway at the company) to give Xbox a second chance after the One's fumbles.

That comes to an end now that Series is trending lower than Xbox One.

The brand was irreperably tarnished after the Xbox One reveal. There is no saving a 'toxic' brand, and Xbox's continued diminished market position year after year is proof.

I am 100% convinced Xbox is coming to an end this year, if ABK is blocked and starfield fails to deliver anything other than a 90+ metacritic game that sells ~10m units.
After the Xbox One wasn't the second chance, it was the FOURTH.

Xbox has been on the chopping block at the end of literally EVERY SINGLE GENERATION it has existed.

Approval for every successive generation has required some sort of pivot to convince the board of directors that this new generation would do something differently, and THIS time would be the money maker.

If literally ANYONE other than Satya Nadella had been picked as CEO of Microsoft, the Xbox One X would have been the last-ever Xbox. Phil appealed to Nadella's hard-on for SAAS and conned him into thinking that he could pivot Xbox into a subscription driver. He failed.

We are now looking at a situation where we could actually see Xbox shut down within the year. As bad as the financials ever got for that division, they at least moved hardware. Now they can't do that on the required level. They have tried everything. Time to pull the plug was a decade ago in any other company, so don't expect to see much more of the Xbox.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Off-topic, you're a great poster but for the love of God change that avatar of yours DAMMIT.

Come on Dazzle us with something spectacular. :love:

I get people to want to have their own pronouns these days but A is not one of them.

Stop Motion Love GIF by Mochimochiland

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Off-topic, you're a great poster but for the love of God change that avatar of yours DAMMIT.

Come on Dazzle us with something spectacular. :love:

I get people to want to have their own pronouns these days but A is not one of them.

Stop Motion Love GIF by Mochimochiland
Lol, I'll think of something soon.