Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
It’s not lost on me that this came out the same day as Microsoft’s little show they did and this article seems to just air grievances Microsoft would have about the ftc, albeit painted in a nice way. I think going forward whenever the walstreet journal or this lady in particular talk about this deal it should be through the lens that they are Microsoft mouth pieces.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
It’s not lost on me that this came out the same day as Microsoft’s little show they did and this article seems to just air grievances Microsoft would have about the ftc, albeit painted in a nice way. I think going forward whenever the walstreet journal or this lady in particular talk about this deal it should be through the lens that they are Microsoft mouth pieces.
I did notice a slight accusatory/ negative vibe from the article, but I dunno. One would hope that these agencies aren't making decisions based on the kind of articles that are being written about them.

Last edited:

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I did notice a slight accusatory/ negative vibe from the article, but I dunno. One would hope tthat hese agencies aren't making decisions based on the kind of articles that are being written about them.
The FTC is highly unlikely to be influenced by the media after multiple lawsuits over the years have put it on record that Microsoft pays off writers as a core part of their PR strategy.

There isn't a single trick MS has used in the past to get out of various jams that they haven't eventually been nailed down in court records admitting to using.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Some news: Jim Ryan met EU antitrust chief Margrethe Vestager on Wednesday to discuss Microsoft's (MSFT.O) $69 billion bid for "Call of Duty" maker Activision Blizzard (ATVI.O), a person familiar with the matter said on Thursday.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Some news: Jim Ryan met EU antitrust chief Margrethe Vestager on Wednesday to discuss Microsoft's (MSFT.O) $69 billion bid for "Call of Duty" maker Activision Blizzard (ATVI.O), a person familiar with the matter said on Thursday.

Wonder how persuasive he is, lol. If this deal gets blocked or significantly watered down I'll take back (almost) everything I've said about him, lol.

Reactions: Eternal_Wings

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Wonder how persuasive he is, lol. If this deal gets blocked or significantly watered down I'll take back (almost) everything I've said about him, lol.

Listen 'ere, Vestager, you can't go makin' decisions without talkin' to us first, you got that? We're not just some small time operation, we're a big player in this game and we deserve a bit of respect. You think you can just waltz in 'ere and mess with my business? Think again, love.

• fire
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022

As he should. Good.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
This whole acquisition situation and waiting for the result is crazy sometimes. Feels like the stakes are extremely high based on the outcome.

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022

It's standard procedure to discuss the possible fallout with other companies. They will likely sit down with Google as well.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Phil Spencer in an IGN interview claims to be confident that the deal will go through.

This could easily backfire and sounds like a challenge to antitrust regulators. Nadella said the same thing, after a bad news after another followed for Microsoft.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Phil Spencer in an IGN interview claims to be confident that the deal will go through.

He says hes "More confidant now than last year." To me thats pure Philness and empty boasting seeing as whats transpired. With that said, sony better have some aces up their sleeve a few deals ready to go. Investments in Square enix, acquiring smaller studios close to them and maybe a small publisher buyout.

Reactions: AshHunter216

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
He says hes "More confidant now than last year." To me thats pure Philness and empty boasting seeing as whats transpired. With that said, sony better have some aces up their sleeve a few deals ready to go. Investments in Square enix, acquiring smaller studios close to them and maybe a small publisher buyout.
I do think Sony need a plan B in case this goes through. Otherwise they're stuck trying to compete with someone that has over 40 first party studios.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Square Enix this year. Full acquisition will it be. Just buying Stakes won’t make it.
Buying stakes, 15 percent or more is more than enough. Japanese companies work together like a family so you don’t need to own the whole thing. There’s a word they use for it.

keiretsu (Japanese: 系列, literally system, series, grouping of enterprises, order of succession) is a set of companies with interlocking business relationships and shareholdings.

That might be what I’m thinking of.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Buying stakes, 15 percent or more is more than enough. Japanese companies work together like a family so you don’t need to own the whole thing. There’s a word they use for it.

keiretsu (Japanese: 系列, literally system, series, grouping of enterprises, order of succession) is a set of companies with interlocking business relationships and shareholdings.

That might be what I’m thinking of.
Back then Sony owned a big stake, less than 30% and it did them no good. After Yoichi Wada became CEO, he did shit on Sony. He ported and developed less exclusives for Sony. Do you really think this will satisfy Sony?
What if another Yoichi Wada appears?
No it will be not stake, they will get the whole company. No more risks. And I doubt Sony would gift Square Enix with a new and bigger HQ for several billion dollars in the most expensive place in Tokyo, Shibuya. New Square Enix HQ is very, very close to Sony HQ. Sony wouldn’t do this much effort if they weren’t to acquire them. Forget this stake buying, it will not be of interest for Sony Group. Fromsoftware e.g. is another case. Sony got only shares because Kadokawa doesn’t want to sell the whole studio or Sony would have tried to get Fromsoftware in full.