Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

24 Jun 2022
Xbox will probably win this court case because they’ve successfully made this a Xbox vs Sony thing instead of FTC making this about trillion dollar MS monopoly on cloud. I’ve yet to hear Jim explain how Sony can’t compete with Microsoft’s competitive advantage in cloud

This is what's frustrating me. Now, I get why the FTC have made this a console-centric argument: the PI's meant to stop immediate harm coming about if the deal were to be closed. It's much easier to do that with the console argument than the cloud & mobile ones, since MS actually has a big share in console when it comes to gaming.

But the FTC could be doing a much better job tying in MS's ability to leverage their non-gaming elements in the backend to bring harm to direct competitors in the short-term that is arguably anticompetitive. How MS can leverage ABK as a tool to attract more sweetheart 3P deals with divisions like Azure netting trickle-down benefits to Xbox/Game Pass further enabling sustainment of a pseudo-predatory pricing model (that Jim Ryan even alluded to in his testimony) in ways competitors like Sony cannot match.

We've even seen this with the Sega x Azure strategic partnership; the Xbox division helped orchestrate that deal, it's a clear example of Xbox's ability to directly benefit from the much larger non-gaming sectors of MS while simultaneously tanking massive losses of its own (in terms of money being left on the table not needing to generate self-sufficient net profits or financing gaming-focused business strategies largely with the gaming division's own profits & valuation through revenue). So I don't understand why things like this are not at the center of the FTC's arguments.

Instead, MS's lawyers are clearly leaning into pro-consumer/ESG-laden talking points and focusing on the more upfront aspect of what thing may or may not be affected, diverting as much away from the backend and the larger scope of Microsoft as a corporation as possible. Let's hope that when the FTC's lawyers do the questioning, they drive the focus in that direction. As so far, they have generally seemed able to do so, albeit mainly focused on exposing hypocrisies and half-truths between Xbox executives regarding letters of intent and establishing a pattern of behavior on that front.

I'm still waiting to see them really tie in Microsoft as a whole to these proceedings in terms of how they've basically made this a Microsoft vs SIE play, i.e leveraging many things in Microsoft outside of Xbox itself to help Xbox "compete" better with PlayStation/SIE, which is just a part of Sony as a whole, and is not leveraging the whole of Sony to actually compete in anywhere near the same way (partly because it's not possible, partly because they would rather not if it can be helped).

Reactions: nongkris

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
That's bad for MS. For it to come out that they even considered just BUYING their competition shows they are running full steam into an attempted monopoly.

Reactions: Nhomnhom

reziel

Banned
12 Jun 2023
Never as far as I can remember
This is what gets me with this MS keeps bringing up saying Sony is blocking them but never brought the developers (Square Enix) testimony that game shouldn't even be brought up in this whole situation. Better yet why did Square pull all their games off gamepass that's a question they should be asked (MS) even though we all know why on here.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Microsoft is so damn ridiculous. So it’s okay to rob Sony of one of the biggest titles to release (Starfield) but Sony is not allowed to do so too?
And honestly when did Japanese games ever had any relevance on Xbox!???
What on the world is Microsoft smoking. All recent Square Enix releases in 2021 and 2022 bombed hard on Xbox. Not just the last years, way before FFXV and KH3 also flopped tremendously on Xbox.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
SE wouldn't port FFXVI to Xbox anytime soon unless MS paid for it and they much rather have Sony's money and PS5 sales.

They can port FFVII to Xbox whenever they want and so far haven't even suggested that they'll ever do it.

MS paid for Octopath Traveler to skip PlayStation and the sequel skipped Xbox and released on PlayStation despite the first game never being released there.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
SE wouldn't port FFXVI to Xbox anytime soon unless MS paid for it and they much rather have Sony's money and PS5 sales.

They can port FFVII to Xbox whenever they want and so far haven't even suggested that they'll ever do it.

After all these revelations, nomatter the outcome of the cases, I am very hungry for Sony to get some payback!

mel gibson braveheart GIF