Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
I'm pretty sure she's team MS. Seemingly we'll have to see what happens when they try to close the deal over the CMA because that's what it'll come down to imo.
That's the question FTC need to ask.

Someone on gaf pointed out they do have the ability to withdraw the injunction, they did this in another case.

Considering the injunction was filed because the FTC thought MS was going to close over regulators, if they can get someone senior enough at MS like satya to admit under oath that was they where never gonna close, then withdraw that sucker and move on.

If MS say yes they will close, then FTC can grill them on that and the judge becomes responsible for letting MS close over other jurisdictions if she doesn't grant the PI.

Last edited:

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Yeah the judge thinks pc is an alternative if MS makes cod exclusive and thinks the Switch competes with series s because they're similar prices.
Sounds ridiclous tbh if the judge thinks that.

Smells like something FTC can appeal on if she really does use that as one of the arguments for the ruling against the PI.

Just comes across the judge hasn't got a clue tbh.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
She’s definitely talking to her son over dinner and shopping at the supermarket about this.

24 Jun 2022
What on the world had FTC thinking by declining the offer to to change the judge?
Lina Khan is mad.

The judge seems confused why cloud is a separate market, but I think they are conflating market with medium. Delivery of the content and how it is provided (and how that method of being provided can influence aspects of creative design, for better or worst) IS part of defining markets as unique upon each other.

No one would say that home consoles and arcades were the same market, for example, even if they were both part of the video game industry. Arcades and home consoles offered different means of accessing the content and also influenced creative decisions of the content in their respective markets. That's aside from the fact that many early home consoles relied heavily on arcade game ports; doesn't change that they were unique markets in the same industry.

I don't think this judge understands that distinction; the FTC should've decided on a judge who actually could.

EDIT: Hell, even Netflix streaming and B2V Blu-Ray are different markets, despite providing the same content (more or less).

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
I've been doing some more reading, and though one source I heard made it seem like he got grilled, another showed his actual responses and makes it seem like he kept calm and very reasonably explained his views.

Now, the judge could still very likely rule in Microsoft's favor, but I don't believe PlayStation are doomed if the FTC lose this at any rate.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
The judge seems confused why cloud is a separate market, but I think they are conflating market with medium. Delivery of the content and how it is provided (and how that method of being provided can influence aspects of creative design, for better or worst) IS part of defining markets as unique upon each other.

No one would say that home consoles and arcades were the same market, for example, even if they were both part of the video game industry. Arcades and home consoles offered different means of accessing the content and also influenced creative decisions of the content in their respective markets. That's aside from the fact that many early home consoles relied heavily on arcade game ports; doesn't change that they were unique markets in the same industry.

I don't think this judge understands that distinction; the FTC should've decided on a judge who actually could.

EDIT: Hell, even Netflix streaming and B2V Blu-Ray are different markets, despite providing the same content (more or less).
This is the only quote i could find on the topic of seperate market

Seems like she isn't sure herself.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
This is the only quote i could find on the topic of seperate market

Seems like she isn't sure herself.

He also gives the Economist's answers. Seems like he did a pretty decent job aside from not doing enough to explain how ABK's games beside COD can affect the market.