Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
I mean, really, outside of console wars, what is the benefit to your average xbox gamer who doesn't spend time on forums? What do they gain from this deal?
None. Maybe the petty and childish satisfaction of third party content being removed from playstation. I mean, they argue it's payback for Sony doing per-game basis (mostly timed) exclusivity deals with third parties, but it's easy to see how hypocritical that argument is, considering MS has done the same before, especially when they had the market share to make it viable.

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Forgive my ignorance and if this has been discussed to death I am sorry to bring it up again. I just have to ask, what benefit will buying ABK bring to Microsoft?

I mean, really, outside of console wars, what is the benefit to your average xbox gamer who doesn't spend time on forums? What do they gain from this deal?
assuming concessions require COD to stay multiplat,

-the COD marketing deal which is crucial for increasing console marketshare in the U.S
-blizzard IPs like WoW for PC expansion
-Mobile games like candy Crush for giving them a foothold in mobile

it makes sense from a business perspective.

also for activision,

BobbyK gets a golden parachute, a get out of jail free card, and sells for a higher value than he'll ever get from anyone else given the current status of activision as a toxic brand full of woman abusers. Bobby's in serious legal trouble right now, and he's desperate.

xbox fanboys get nothing but bragging rights, and a few dead and irrelevant legacy IPs like crash, spyro and tony hawk. (which lets be honest, MS won't greenlight sequels for).

Last edited:

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Forgive my ignorance and if this has been discussed to death I am sorry to bring it up again. I just have to ask, what benefit will buying ABK bring to Microsoft?

Likely Activision-Blizzard games on Gamepass, so that they don't have to buy them. Also I imagine Microsoft are hoping this deal with increase their market share to the level where they can more easily convince 3rd party devs to sign more exclusive deals with Microsoft so that the Xbox has more exclusives. Also post-buyout Xbox would have more first party studios than Playstation and Nintendo put together, and could pump out more games yearly than they could.

The fanboys get bragging rights due to the previous factors and get to brag about taking Playstation's former mascots.

D

Deleted member 417

I have noticed over the past 12 months, how the narrative has begun discussion MS getting into the mobile market.

I posted on gaf many moons ago about the whole ABK purchase isn't about COD but more about buying King so that Microsoft can put Gamepass on mobile and reach 1 billion new users overnight. I was shot down in flames by the usual MS shills (including two on this very site!) who are now saying that IT IS about microsoft buying King for mobile access.

It's frustrating dealing with MS shills because they will fight you over the future of Xbox to the end of the Earth because they can't see past tomorrow.

D

Deleted member 417

Likely Activision-Blizzard games on Gamepass, so that they don't have to buy them. Also I imagine Microsoft are hoping this deal with increase their market share to the level where they can more easily convince 3rd party devs to sign more exclusive deals with Microsoft so that the Xbox has more exclusives. Also post-buyout Xbox would have more first party studios than Playstation and Nintendo put together, and could pump out more games yearly than they could.

The fanboys get bragging rights due to the previous factors and get to brag about taking Playstation's former mascots.
This is why i think the purchase is only about King and that Microsoft will split Acti-Blizz and King up, in order to get the deal through. Maybe they make AB games exclusive but allow King games to still be on all devices and not just Gamepass.

It makes no sense to buy ABK for Xbox, it doesn't fit. It would cost them money to buy hugely succesful multiplatform games and make 0 money out of them in the future

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
I have noticed over the past 12 months, how the narrative has begun discussion MS getting into the mobile market.

I posted on gaf many moons ago about the whole ABK purchase isn't about COD but more about buying King so that Microsoft can put Gamepass on mobile and reach 1 billion new users overnight. I was shot down in flames by the usual MS shills (including two on this very site!) who are now saying that IT IS about microsoft buying King for mobile access.

It's frustrating dealing with MS shills because they will fight you over the future of Xbox to the end of the Earth because they can't see past tomorrow.
eh, xbox is in a really bad spot right now with most just assuming they'll leave the console business sooner or later. it's been so long since they released anything worthwhile.

a lot of guys are just looking for any sort of win to quell their buyer's remorse over investing in the xbox's failed ecosystem.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
This is why i think the purchase is only about King and that Microsoft will split Acti-Blizz and King up, in order to get the deal through. Maybe they make AB games exclusive but allow King games to still be on all devices and not just Gamepass.

It makes no sense to buy ABK for Xbox, it doesn't fit. It would cost them money to buy hugely succesful multiplatform games and make 0 money out of them in the future
This is not, and was never, about mobile.

That’s a smokescreen for the gullible.

This is about winning the console war and forcing as much of gaming as possible into subscriptions.

Literally NOTHING was ever stopping Microsoft from getting into mobile gaming, aside from their own incompetence and lack of vision. If they wanted King, they’d have bought it when Activision did.

Congrats on being played by the worst PR in the industry!

D

Deleted member 417

eh, xbox is in a really bad spot right now with most just assuming they'll leave the console business sooner or later. it's been so long since they released anything worthwhile.

a lot of guys are just looking for any sort of win to quell their buyer's remorse over investing in the xbox's failed ecosystem.
They've always been this way. Shit, I posted way too many posts back in 2011/2012 about how the new xbox would fail and why it would fail. Or why Kinect could have the right games but Microsoft are looking in the wrong areas. Everytime I have been shot down by shills.

It wasn't that long ago I was having arguments about how Microsoft were going to purchase ABK because ABK were going to be put up for sale (6 months later ABK went up for sale and MS bought them). It's frustrating to deal with them.

This is not, and was never, about mobile.

That’s a smokescreen for the gullible.

This is about winning the console war and forcing as much of gaming as possible into subscriptions.

Literally NOTHING was ever stopping Microsoft from getting into mobile gaming, aside from their own incompetence and lack of vision. If they wanted King, they’d have bought it when Activision did.

Congrats on being played by the worst PR in the industry!

I respectfully disagree with the first half and agree somewhat with the second half.

It is about forcing as much as gaming as possible into subscriptions, but it is mobile which will be the trojan horse in which Microsoft do it in the console space.

Microsoft are incompetent and usually enter industries by buying their way in. They cocked up their own mobile so there's no reason to believe they would try again. Instead, they will do what Microsoft do: "buy em out boys".

From King's website:

We have developed more than 200 fun titles, and offer games that are enjoyed all around the world. Our franchises include Candy Crush, Farm Heroes, Pet Rescue and Bubble Witch. We have 250 million monthly active users as of Q1 2022 across web, social and mobile platforms.

Microsoft get access to 250 million users and 200 games to bring to console gamepass. They add all of those mobile users to Gamepass/Xcloud mobile for free, bolstering Gamepass numbers. They use this metric to bully 3rd party (console) games into coming to Gamepass because "look at our user number and MAU count". etc etc

I believe we see the same end goal here; The console industry held hostage on a subscription service, which would eventually become a streaming service so they could do away with hardware. The only difference is, I think they will use mobile to do it and you think they will be direct about doing it by using 3rd party games.

Maybe we're both right? King and Acti-Blizz will be a two pronged approach. One to flood the service with games and numbers, the other to reduce the reach of the competition?

Last edited by a moderator:

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023

I don't see a situation where Microsoft is willing to give up on getting Activision Blizzard and only get King. Microsoft's statement about only wanting this deal for mobile is straight up cap.

D

Deleted member 417

They need a subpoena to know to poach Cerny? What are they doing over at MS

D

Deleted member 417

No, not Cerny. They want performance reviews en masse, to known exactly which key people to poach. Not celebrities.
That information is completely irrelevant to an antitrust case. They just want to use discovery to basically spy on Sony.
Cerny is their Keanu Reeves (Southpark reference). Cerny is the man who opens the doors to the talent.

OP
OP
Darth Vader

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022

Take those games away from PlayStation. They want to dominate not by competing but rather by taking from the competition.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
No, not Cerny. They want performance reviews en masse, to known exactly which key people to poach. Not celebrities.
That information is completely irrelevant to an antitrust case. They just want to use discovery to basically spy on Sony.
Pretty much how I viewed it. They're looking for the secret sauce. It would be kind of like plankton trying to steal the Krabby Patty formula in court. lmao

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Take those games away from PlayStation. They want to dominate not by competing but rather by taking from the competition.
All honest efforts to compete failed miserably, so now we see classic Microsoft behaviour. They have given up on earning a piece of the pie and are attempting to take the whole thing for themselves, but regulators are not asleep at the wheel like they were in 2000.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Send them 10000 pages with only character names.
Technical director - Snake
Discovery director - Selene
Combat director - Kratos
Gameplay director - Jin
Etc ...

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
They've always been this way. Shit, I posted way too many posts back in 2011/2012 about how the new xbox would fail and why it would fail. Or why Kinect could have the right games but Microsoft are looking in the wrong areas. Everytime I have been shot down by shills.

It wasn't that long ago I was having arguments about how Microsoft were going to purchase ABK because ABK were going to be put up for sale (6 months later ABK went up for sale and MS bought them). It's frustrating to deal with them.

I respectfully disagree with the first half and agree somewhat with the second half.

It is about forcing as much as gaming as possible into subscriptions, but it is mobile which will be the trojan horse in which Microsoft do it in the console space.

Microsoft are incompetent and usually enter industries by buying their way in. They cocked up their own mobile so there's no reason to believe they would try again. Instead, they will do what Microsoft do: "buy em out boys".

From King's website:

Microsoft get access to 250 million users and 200 games to bring to console gamepass. They add all of those mobile users to Gamepass/Xcloud mobile for free, bolstering Gamepass numbers. They use this metric to bully 3rd party (console) games into coming to Gamepass because "look at our user number and MAU count". etc etc

I believe we see the same end goal here; The console industry held hostage on a subscription service, which would eventually become a streaming service so they could do away with hardware. The only difference is, I think they will use mobile to do it and you think they will be direct about doing it by using 3rd party games.

Maybe we're both right? King and Acti-Blizz will be a two pronged approach. One to flood the service with games and numbers, the other to reduce the reach of the competition?
You fell for a smokescreen.

Also, why the fuck would they need to buy King to put GamePass on mobile? Is Microsoft not the world's biggest SOFTWARE company, employing tens of thousands of programmers? They could clone every King game and put it on Console/PC GamePass, but all of King's games are already clones of other games that were already on PC and consoles.

The whole "We want to get into mobile gaming" thing is total bullshit, yet you and others lap it up rather than do a little critical thinking and a little reading to see right through it.

• brain
Reactions: Deleted member 417