Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Screenshot_20230205_124456_Twitter.jpg

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022

Now the FTC can get a little break from all the threats and whining they've been receiving. On a more serious note, there's been so many times during this process where it is unbelievable to me that people are actually adults. Some of the proponents for this acquisition come across as just ridiculous.

I don't support the merger because I realize what MS will do and what they have already done - reduced competition by removing games from other platforms. They're being anti-compeititve and I also don't think it's commendable to buy your way to success as opposed to fixing your own failures. But even if the merger goes through, I would not even think to have a tantrum like some of these pro-merger folks.

D

Deleted member 417

You fell for a smokescreen.

Maybe, but I'm going to stick with my guns
Also, why the fuck would they need to buy King to put GamePass on mobile? Is Microsoft not the world's biggest SOFTWARE company, employing tens of thousands of programmers? They could clone every King game and put it on Console/PC GamePass, but all of King's games are already clones of other games that were already on PC and consoles.
World's biggest software company who have no software on their most popular hardware product, that world's biggest software company?

They buy King, they buy instant access to 250 million devices, including marketing data. All of those devices then stream through Azure, not AWS (who apple use). More users on gamepass, more exposure, more console gamers to sell mobile games to, more people to push onto a streaming platform.

The whole "We want to get into mobile gaming" thing is total bullshit, yet you and others lap it up rather than do a little critical thinking and a little reading to see right through it.
Hold on there I think you misunderstand. I don't think Microsoft want to get into mobile gaming. I'm saying that they will use Mobile Gaming as a trojan horse to fuck the console industry. They know they can't compete, so they want to destroy the industry. They did a bloody good job of pissing on the industry when they introduced "gamergrrl" and the cod casuals. Those group irreparably changed the industry and made it better for Microsoft. That is until they cocked up with the Xbone

Now they want Whales, big fat juicy whales to guzzle down all of the console MTX and lootboxes. Diablo, OW2, COD you name it, Microsoft are going to cram it with bullshit MTX. They only need 1% of those 250 million mobile players to pick up a console and they're laughing.

Once the demographic changes in the industry, once the spending power is different kind of gamer, Microsoft win. That demographic is going to come from Mobile.

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
The purchase of Activision would have masked the MAU and sales figures of Xbox like Bethesda purchase did. As we are 2 years from that purchase we can see the numbers aren't as healthy as they had claimed for the past year. ABK would have shown a marked increase in player engagement (mobile users) and sales. All a smokescreen.

Online only single player Bethesda games going forward will add to the Xbox MAU figures. Acquisitions each year or two to show artifical growth

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
The purchase of Activision would have masked the MAU and sales figures of Xbox like Bethesda purchase did. As we are 2 years from that purchase we can see the numbers aren't as healthy as they had claimed for the past year. ABK would have shown a marked increase in player engagement (mobile users) and sales. All a smokescreen.

Online only single player Bethesda games going forward will add to the Xbox MAU figures. Acquisitions each year or two to show artifical growth
Aren't there laws against that kind of scheme to trick investors?

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

Yup, just like how they use Minecraft to push up MAU's....

Now they've added things like Fallout 76 and Elder Scrolls Online and several others, that is why you have this almost surreal MAU figure they are throwing around despite the fact that everyone knows Xbox is really half the size or even quite a bit less than PS in terms of hardware install and many other metrics.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
The MS head of communications hasn't a clue about Xbox so the average investor likely hasn't a Scooby Doo.
Not correct. There has been significant investor protest against each generation of Xbox due to the losses the division racks up. Shoving Xbox into other divisions once the 360 started to decline in sales was meant to disguise it, but every division it has been moved into for reporting purposes has lost money as well.

Most of the large investors in MS are hedge funds and pension funds, and their fund managers go over this shit with a fine-toothed comb. They know the score and weren't in favour of the Activision deal to begin with, as MS is paying nearly double the valuation of ACTI stock in the offer.

The continued money sink for diminishing returns is why the Xbox division will be shut down due to investor pressure once the deal collapses due to the regulatory issues.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
What I don’t understand is why Xbros seem to think that if this deal goes through Sony won’t have any reprisals lined up. They don’t have Microsoft money but they have enough to deeply entrench themselves with Japanese publishers and a western one at the same time. They just made like 8 billion dollars from PlayStation alone this year and you think they’re just going to roll over and take it? With 10 billion or less they could invest in every Japanese publisher to have board seat and the Japanese government probably wouldn’t blink twice if they did.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
The amount of crying on social media makes me think that some bad news are about to pop up. Could be a coincidence.
This is a good point. Typically when MS has good news to drop they leak it to one of their pr heads like Tom Warren or Jez. The head of communications going out there and making a fool of himself and company might make sense after the end of next week.

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
With the delay in the purchase of Activision and this year being the final year of the Sony/Activision partnership, I wonder have Sony bid for a continuation of the partnership deal with an understanding the acquisition doesn't go through. If it doesn't go through, Bobby would be foolish to not have a plan B.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
With the delay in the purchase of Activision and this year being the final year of the Sony/Activision partnership, I wonder have Sony bid for a continuation of the partnership deal with an understanding the acquisition doesn't go through. If it doesn't go through, Bobby would be foolish to not have a plan B.
When the buyout falls apart, ol' Bobby is in a world of hurt. He will be out as CEO almost instantly over the sexual misconduct and hostile work environment issues. He was frozen in place in the job due to the merger, since you can't make changes at the executive level like that during that process.