Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
Another case of a megacorp getting outclassed by the smaller company and having to acquire them. CMA seems to be the most logical regulator on the planet currently, while EU and American courts have been captured by lobbyists
I must admit I'm very surprised by our regulation entities

Reactions: Bryank75 and kuzon

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
I must admit I'm very surprised by our regulation entities
problem not regulators, problem is government and lack of integrity.

make regulators indiependent unit. now, even if regulators do their job, completely destroys opposition, court can still make shit decision and side with opposition.

like judge in this case : -
-we not protecting playstation, we are protecting consumers.

at the same time, fuck playstation consumers and consumer choices.

like, wtf?

Reactions: kuzon

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
With Microsoft openly saying they want to spend Sony out of the business I wonder if Sony could get financing from the Japanese government? Like some sort of long term loan or tax structure?

I don't see why not, with their own currency, they can just print it off as they require. The only concern is devaluation but if it is used immediately to buy another corporation, it should be absolutely fine IMHO.

I think the way they would do it though and what makes most sense for the government is if Sony issues as many bonds as they need (Bonds are debt for corporations) and the government buys all the bonds using the money they print.

Then if anything happens negatively, the government could just write off the debt.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
With Microsoft openly saying they want to spend Sony out of the business I wonder if Sony could get financing from the Japanese government? Like some sort of long term loan or tax structure?
i bet, they would get one if they apply for one.

riesgoyfortuna

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
Apple or Amazon will be there, its a future. I do. Not want, but if that happens xbots are pretty fucked

Ludwig

9 Feb 2023
i bet, they would get one if they apply for one.
Atnt bought DirectTV for $49 billion ($67 billion including debt) in 2015. After that they bought WarnerBros for 85 Billion dollar in 2021. Granted they were worth 300-400 billion dollar back then, but now they are worth close to 116 billion. It is possible, but it all depends on Sony.

Thunderstorm__

31 May 2023
Atnt bought DirectTV for $49 billion ($67 billion including debt) in 2015. After that they bought WarnerBros for 85 Billion dollar in 2021. Granted they were worth 300-400 billion dollar back then, but now they are worth close to 116 billion. It is possible, but it all depends on Sony.
I just checked the stat, they were only worth $170+ B back in 2015.

Reactions: Bryank75

Thunderstorm__

31 May 2023
I also lean toward the idea that Sony should ask for the Government's support. I also realized that Sony has been investing a lot into the Chinese game market, I guess Nintendo's dominance in homeland's market disincentivizes Sony from focusing on japan.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I also lean toward the idea that Sony should ask for the Government's support. I also realized that Sony has been investing a lot into the Chinese game market, I guess Nintendo's dominance in homeland's market disincentivizes Sony from focusing on japan.

Yeah but it shouldn't...

Since Nintendo sold Sony out, Sony should do what microsoft is doing..... buy out as many of Nintendos 3rd party partners.

Nintendo will still do well with their 1st party stuff but Sony could pull back some customers in Japan and corner Japanese supply of video games to the west.

I definitely feel the aggression needs to be met head-on now.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Yeah but it shouldn't...

Since Nintendo sold Sony out, Sony should do what microsoft is doing..... buy out as many of Nintendos 3rd party partners.

Nintendo will still do well with their 1st party stuff but Sony could pull back some customers in Japan and corner Japanese supply of video games to the west.

We need back someone like Ken Kutaragi or Chris Deering back in leadership roles... Aggressive and cut throat

Thunderstorm__

31 May 2023
Yeah but it shouldn't...

Best selling games on Switch are mostly first party, a really impressive feat. So yeah, even if Nin is depraved of 3rd party support, they will still do well if they never run out of creativity. Sony has been relying alot on 3rd party support, This ABK merger can prove devastating to PS ecosystem, but contrastingly, it can also propel Sony to make their own COD. And if they can actually make their own COD, then oh boy that would facilitate Playstation brand to the next level, the massive amount of money earnt from that game can then be allocated to 1st party studios who make single player experience only. It's a big win for Sony if they can pull it off

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Kinda funny how they suddenly care about what the cma does in all of these unrelated cases.
Yeah, it's almost as funny as everyone casually using the term "foreclose" in discussion like we've all been lawyers for 20 years when we all just learned of it's use in this context in the past couple months.