Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Welfare

Forum Veteran
23 Jan 2023
Fuck you and your money. How’s that?

Are you a gamer or an investor? Like what the fuck are you even taking about right now?

If this goes through it will be the worst thing to happen in the gaming industry.
I'm both.

The hyperbole on this deal is out of control on this forum.

This is not the worst thing in the industry, gaming will continue, and you'll get to play all the games you love and will love.

Think about what ABK even is.

Activision: Call of Duty
Blizzard: WoW, Diablo, Overwatch,
King: Mobile stuff

Microsoft owning that is really going to change the industry for the worst, when Call of Duty is going back on Nintnedo and a bunch of cloud providers are going to get Call of Duty?

ABK barely release games as it is today.
All for your little payday eh? Your relationship with this forum is pretty hostile, why stay here?
It's not just for my payday if you read more of my post.

Better worker conditions and unionization, expansion of major brands to other consoles and services, and Game Pass.
OK, as someone who has a Series X, explain to me how this is good for me long term? Not just about my Xbox but the overall industry that will nowq be consumed by major consolidation.

Also, explain how consolidation on this level benefits the consumer in any industry. Start with the IP and the TV ones.
Well if you have Game Pass the answer is obvious. For everyone else, Call of Duty would be going back to Nintendo and will be new to cloud providers.

The biggest IP ABK owns that isn't mobile is COD which is staying multiplatform. How does that harm the industry?

• haha
Reactions: anonpuffs

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
So now the CMA is trying to negotiate?
No way MS is agreeing to divesting and no way they agreeing to increasing the terms, so whats the point CMA, let the CAT do its job or just drop the concerns, take the L and move on.
The CMA should just let the CAT cook, who knows they might get a W and push ms back up on the ropes.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
I'm both.

This is not the worst thing in the industry, gaming will continue, and you'll get to play all the games you love and will love.

Microsoft owning that is really going to change the industry for the worst, when Call of Duty is going back on Nintnedo and a bunch of cloud providers are going to get Call of Duty?

Better worker conditions and unionization, expansion of major brands to other consoles and services, and Game Pass.

Well if you have Game Pass the answer is obvious. For everyone else, Call of Duty would be going back to Nintendo and will be new to cloud providers.

The biggest IP ABK owns that isn't mobile is COD which is staying multiplatform. How does that harm the industry?
It’s not a hyperbole. MS has always done this.
Buy products, destroy that product, mass layoffs, dominate market. Rinse and release. They’re doing this now with gaming. The next 10/15 years will be massively different and for the worst.
We’re fucked.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Don't know why folks don't just use the ignore button.

That way people trying to troll just scream into a void and nobody engages with them.

I'm really surprised the CMA have come out with this so quick.

The thing is you don't just halt the appeal and do these talks just to go over the same thing that you did a few months ago. Cause divestiture was on the table back when the original PF came out and MS didn't want it.

So now the question is has MS changed it's mind on divestiture(i doubt it), or CMA is more receptive to a weaker divestiture option?

Or perhaps CMA are trying to give MS a chance so MS don't use the argument that CMA didn't look into these new concessions we offered?

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
So now the CMA is trying to negotiate?
No way MS is agreeing to divesting and no way they agreeing to increasing the terms, so whats the point CMA, let the CAT do its job or just drop the concerns, take the L and move on.
The CMA should just let the CAT cook, who knows they might get a W and push ms back up on the ropes.
That's what i find really bizzarre.

The chances of the CMA winning the appeal are high. Alot of M&A lawyers following the case has said the same. Don't know why they didn't just wait it out.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
I'm both.

This is a pretty shitty deal for those of us who prefer to game on PlayStation. MS plan to keep buying until there's nothing left for us to play.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
In the end, if the hobby becomes something I don’t enjoy, I’ll just leave it. I don’t care that much about western games, so as long as MS leave Japan alone, I don’t really care. What I’m afraid of is that they could try and buy sega and other Japanese publishers.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
I'm both.

It is the worst thing in the industry.

MS has a history of anti consumer practices and competitive nature since they started. The FTC court case further proved this.

Putting trust in a trillion corporation like MS buying Activision is fucking stupid and shows you only have one agenda just like the company you cuck for.

For the love of all things holy please stop bringing up worker conditions. That’s one of the main excuses green rats love to use on why the deal is good. Bullshit.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I wouldn’t be surprised if come next week Sony announces an acquisition or 2. I feel like they’ve had a few deals. They’ve been ready to an ounce for a while now they just wanted some clarity on how things were going to shake out with the abk deal.
They’re still gonna get call of duty for 10 years. Buddy sweared under oath. We just don’t know the terms and revenue split that MS would want.

As far as revenue, splits and income is concerned, if Sony bought square Enix, and probably make up for what they lose on cod and more with just ff14 alone. They’d be getting 70 to 100 percent revenue just off of that alone. Plus bungie. Plus maybe one their first party games being a hit.

It’s not the end of the world, but they definitely just can’t sit around and think it’s gonna be OK either.

My biggest concern in all of this is that new EU commissioner being in Microsoft pocket. Now it’s one thing if they’re just gonna rubberstamp a deal for Microsoft but if they’re there to also block other acquisitions from competitors then yeah that’s pretty ridiculous.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I'm both.

Activision is more than cod. Spyro, Crash, Tony Hawk, and tons of back log IP. Blizzard is Overwatch, Diablo, WOW, warcraft, starcraft.

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022

The chances of the CMA winning the appeal are high. Alot of M&A lawyers following the case has said the same. Don't know why they didn't just wait it out.
To me it seems they just dont have the money to focus on fighting a trillion dollar company, or they know their case is weak, or they just dont want to be the only hold out on such a big merger.
In time when people are pay $20 a month to access switch 2 level games, we will look back and say the same shit we saying about Disney today, deal should have bern blocked, consolidation is never good for consumer.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022

I guess they can be bribed and paid even though their independent.

So sad.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly