OP
OP
Darth Vader

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Summary of where we stand:
  • The FTC has filed for an appeal, which will probably not lead to anything but will buy them some time. I think that's the whole intent behind it;
  • The CMA has basically reverted to their notice of remedies and stated that MS will basically have to submit a new "deal" so that it can be appreciated (in case they want to change the decisions over prohibition vs divestment)

Reactions: Swift_Star

KingOfTheDead

Banned
3 Jul 2023
  • The FTC has filed for an appeal, which will probably not lead to anything but will buy them some time. I think that's the whole intent behind it;
  • The CMA has basically reverted to their notice of remedies and stated that MS will basically have to submit a new "deal" so that it can be appreciated (in case they want to change the decisions over prohibition vs divestment)
FTC can't "buy" time lmao. they can only do that by the appeals court granted them an emergency stay on Friday, which is very unlikely.

CMA has paused the CAT. Which is very weird. I think the CMA and MS figured it out already.

• haha
Reactions: Nimrota

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
Hopefully its a divestment for the cma.
Agreed on the ftc not getting anywhere with their appeal, too little too late but at least it shows they have no problem standing up to mega corps. They earned my respect, made ms wasted a shite load of money and time.

Ezekiel

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
CMA has paused the CAT. Which is very weird. I think the CMA and MS figured it out already.
You keep saying this, but you realize the CMA doesn't have the power to stop an appeal?

The facts are that Microsoft abandoned their appeal to the CAT. The CAT, no longer having a plaintiff for the appeal, simply cancels it. CMA no longer have to defend their block of the deal at the CAT.

Sounds to me like Microsoft knows the current deal isn't going forward, so either they make a totally new one, or walk away.

OP
OP
Darth Vader

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
FTC can't "buy" time lmao. they can only do that by the appeals court granted them an emergency stay on Friday, which is very unlikely.

About the CMA, you should read what they said before making those claims.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
MS went to the CMA. CMA did not go to MS for anything.

The CMA is getting exactly what it originally wanted if the appeal continues at a later date

• haha
Reactions: KingOfTheDead

KingOfTheDead

Banned
3 Jul 2023
You keep saying this, but you realize the CMA doesn't have the power to stop an appeal?

The facts are that Microsoft abandoned their appeal to the CAT. The CAT, no longer having a plaintiff for the appeal, simply cancels it. CMA no longer have to defend their block of the deal at the CAT.

Sounds to me like Microsoft knows the current deal isn't going forward, so either they make a totally new one, or walk away.
Ummm no? CMA and MS/ABK have all agreed to pause the CAT.

CMA/MS/ABK are working things out hence the pause.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
There we have it. 💀

It's just sad how corrupt the system is. The "underdog" $2.5 trillion dollar corporation straight out some Cyberpunk dystopia gets the "justice" system to bend over to their will just because they have unlimited funds to further their ambition of crashing the gaming market so that they can control it. There is no subtlety in what they are trying to do.

The unfortunate thing is that MS destroying the console market is probably just some side effect of them trying to dominate mobile/cloud, it does not come from actually having some aspiration of making good games. The Netflix of gaming is the most out of touch and boring vision for the traditional gaming market.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Ummm no? CMA and MS/ABK have all agreed to pause the CAT.

CMA/MS/ABK are working things out hence the pause.

Microsoft was appealing to the CAT the CMA block.

They are no longer appealing to the CAT the CMA block.

'Stay of litigation' = 'abandoning their appeal'.

The block stands fully intact.

Microsoft is free to make a whole new deal with ABK, and go through the whole process again, or walk away.

The time for remedies was 4 months ago.

KingOfTheDead

Banned
3 Jul 2023
Microsoft was appealing to the CAT the CMA block.

They are no longer appealing to the CAT the CMA block.

'Stay of litigation' = 'abandoning their appeal'.

The block stands fully intact.

Microsoft is free to make a whole new deal with ABK, and go through the whole process again, or walk away.

The time for remedies was 4 months ago.
Wrong. Again. CMA didn't have to do anything. Their not appealing to the CAT because the CMA agreed to pause the appeal. Not cancel it. Their taking about work arounds. CMA didnt have to do anything. The time for remedies or talks were over. They don't have to go through the whole process again. They "may" have to take a few months to look at it. Remember when people said MS were barred from buying ABK for 10 years from the CMA, yet their giving their merger another look? lmao