Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
So the facts are :

CMA final report and block of the current deal still intact.

MS abandoned the CAT appeal for the current deal.

Either MS makes a completely new deal with ABK, which will require every international regulatory body to re-evaluate the new deal in full, or they simply abandon the current deal and walk away.

Am I missing something?
I get the feeling Activision is going to be in a strong position if the deal fails. All the exposure and documentation has highlighted how beneficial they are to these platforms and how well they do. With the $3b windfall from it failing and stock having recovered (to this point), coupled with Bobby Kotick not mentioning an extension, they could feel happy to not renegotiate. Microsoft's frantic PR campaign and sudden grovelling to the CMA indicative that they're feeling the pressure to close knowing they only have until the 18th and there will be no second chance.

Ludwig

9 Feb 2023
The Trade Desk, Inc. will replace Activision Blizzard, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATVI) in the Nasdaq-100 Index®, the Nasdaq-100 Equal Weighted Index, and the Nasdaq-100 Ex-Tech Sector Index. Activision Blizzard, Inc. will also be removed from the Nasdaq-100 ESG Index (Nasdaq: NDXESG) prior to market open on Monday, July 17, 2023.1 hour ago

Never mind. I think I jumped the gun.

Last edited:

Nitro

10 Apr 2023
North Pole
Doesn't that contradict Phil Spencer's message on Kinda Funny games where he emoted "great games like Starfield" would not move the needle for them?

According to Microsoft's Chief Financial Officer, who apparently did the math, Xbox could afford to cancel Starfield on PS5 and make up the revenue by additional Game Pass subs and hardware sales.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I won't pretend I understand what it means but it's looking ugly. MS will close the deal on Monday even if FTC is appealing and CMA is not finalized?
Thats not what I read out of it, but I'm no broker. Its now more likely than not in most people's minds that the deal will close so NASDAQ is switching the stock out on its basket index.

• Informative
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Fenton

Veteran
22 Feb 2023
Industry will be ruined or not they don't care..they are trying the loss leader strategy in gaming. Ignore profit for some years, and keep spending until competitors lose market share and GP subscriber numbers increase across console, PC, cloud.

Last edited:

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Microsoft predicted Starfield would sell 10 millions on PS5 and they still cancelled it. People are still doubting they wanted to make COD exclusive? Now they can't but that was the plan.

No surprise to anyone with a brain that a trillion dollar company can afford to make any game they want exclusive for shits and giggles, but xbots would have you believe MS would never do that.

KingOfTheDead

Banned
3 Jul 2023
As of Monday ABK no longer exists, but it would still be ABK. Seems MS trying to close over cma?
nope they probably already talked things out. Maybe they told them they can close in the meantime while they look at it or a remedy has already been made to satisfy the CMA

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
As of Monday ABK no longer exists, but it would still be ABK. Seems MS trying to close over cma?
As of Monday it's delisted from the Nasdaq-100 and replaced by The Trade Desk. This happens at scheduled times and also off-schedule.

The deal as it stands is completely dead and abandoned, it seems, by Microsoft. They're trying to get ABK on board for a new deal but there's no guarantee ABK or regulators will accept it.

• haha
Reactions: KingOfTheDead

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
As of Monday it's delisted from the Nasdaq-100 and replaced by The Trade Desk. This happens at scheduled times and also off-schedule.

The deal as it stands is completely dead and abandoned, it seems, by Microsoft. They're trying to get ABK on board for a new deal but there's no guarantee ABK or regulators will accept it.
Abandoned?
That dont make sense.

Lets see if them and cma worked something out last minute, keeping an eye on their twitter.
To me it seems ms is trying to close asap and just deal with fallout later.

Reactions: KingOfTheDead

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Doesn't that contradict Phil Spencer's message on Kinda Funny games where he emoted "great games like Starfield" would not move the needle for them?

According to Microsoft's Chief Financial Officer, who apparently did the math, Xbox could afford to cancel Starfield on PS5 and make up the revenue by additional Game Pass subs and hardware sales.
And they won’t. People aren’t buying Xbox for Starfield.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Abandoned?
That dont make sense.

Lets see if them and cma worked something out last minute, keeping an eye on their twitter.
To me it seems ms is trying to close asap and just deal with fallout later.
I doubt they’ll be able to fast track this.

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
nope they probably already talked things out. Maybe they told them they can close in the meantime while they look at it or a remedy has already been made to satisfy the CMA
Funny you're still going despite being absolutely and wholly incorrect with several different predictions the past few days. CMA was coming hat in hand to Microsoft yesterday, now maybe Microsoft has made a remedy which will satisfy the CMA, and in a month from now you'll talk about how Microsoft will be doing a new Activision merger soon enough even though last one failed.