Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
You mean like Naughty Dog and Guerilla? When Sony bought those studios they had no valuable IP. So what would you have said then? Don’t say Crash Bandicoot, because Sony didn’t own that IP.
When Sony bought those studios the market wasn't as big as it is today, games didn't take 5 years and 200 million to make and their biggest competitor didn't start gobbling up publishers. They can't afford to naturally grow studios.

Last edited:

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
I always thought the cloud gaming divestiture was weak, and the more i think about it seems even worse.

Assuming they plan on selling xcloud to someone else, well the value of xcloud right now are the customers subscribe to gamepass ultimate.

Do those customers also get moved over to this company? If so then sureley ganmepass would also have to be divested to this company? As customer aren't gonna move to this company just because of xcloud, cause the value of gamepass isn't there.

All microsft is really doing is selling software and hardware to this new company, worthless divestiture really. They ultimatley hold the cards and benefit from that reliance, as they only realy produce the hardware necessary to run xcloud(series x consoles), but ms still maintain the actual value the customers.

It's not the same as divesting cod. If you divest cod to another company the value moves to that company which is the games so customer will follow.

Last edited:

Acquiescence

2 Oct 2022
With the FTC officially out of the race, I'm seeing a lot of discourse right now that MS will wrap up this deal by or on the 18th. Which surprises me because I thought the CMA were conducting a new investigation and that it definitely wasn't going to be finished anytime soon. So do people just assume now that MS will break UK law?

DForce

24 Jun 2022
With the FTC officially out of the race, I'm seeing a lot of discourse right now that MS will wrap up this deal by or on the 18th. Which surprises me because I thought the CMA were conducting a new investigation and that it definitely wasn't going to be finished anytime soon. So do people just assume now that MS will break UK law?
We're assuming the political\government pressure got to the CMA and they're going to be forced to accept a lowball offer.

This is all speculation, but we wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
FTC isn't actually out of the race and could, if they win at later date, force a divestiture. In the end (that is, if the case makes its way to the SCOTUS) Microsoft is likely to win, though. The UK assumptions are that they have some sort of agreement to close ahead of the final agreement with them. We'll just have to wait and see what they've worked out. It should be revealed within 30 hours or so, so not long now.

DemonRavana

30 Jun 2023

There's an assumption that the CMA is going to allow the deal to close while they conduct their new investigation, but there hasn't been any definitive proof that's the case. It's possible they're right, though it also seems possible that MS and ABK simply extend their agreement for a month or two to wait out the CMA's eventual decision.

So, while the deal is almost certainly going to go through eventually, it might still take a bit longer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Acquiescence

Calverz

28 Mar 2023
I think its now a game of chicken with the CMA. The deal is closing. Its just a matter of whether MS go ahead and close before an agreement with CMA or after by extending the merger deadline for CMA. TBH, the CMA will not want the merger to close before they give go ahead as politically it would make them look weak internationally so don't be surprised if something gets agreed early next week with CMA. Maybe not a full agreement on remedy but something in principle to then bash out details post merger.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Yeah it would be illegal to merge right now.

CMA put out an order MS and ABK are't allowed to try another merger or invest in each other for 10 years. So even if they tried to merge under the new modified deal it would still be illegal.

I'd imagine MS chances of getting an extension has gone higher, bobby can still run with $3 billion but i guess the FTC failing to get an injunction got them some postivity.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
As it currently stands. CMA still blocked the deal. MS cannot close over the CMA. I don’t understand why people don’t get this.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Cool hand luke

PlacidusaX

Veteran
24 Oct 2022
Told you it's a done deal.

Fear not, PS gamers. Sony's about to splurge on another garage developer, with no IPs and a penchant for GaaS.
Can't be worse than a publisher who's been doing this for over 20 years and not only doesn't make a single AAA game (besides the yearly racing rehash) but has been coming in last place every generation but the 1st it released in.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I don’t mind MS buying big publishers. Gaming needs a shakeup so knowing that Microsoft will consume studios and IP and immediately destroy the pedigree of the studios and IP worth is actually something I love seeing happen.

As far as I’m concerned this is how CoD’s dominance ends. RIP Activision.

I’m sure some people are excited about crash bandicoot but LoLs

Fenton

Veteran
22 Feb 2023

This COD addiction among gamers needs to be broken. Ubisoft's XDefiant has potential to challenge the dominance, but it will be tough.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Can't be worse than a publisher who's been doing this for over 20 years and not only doesn't make a single AAA game (besides the yearly racing rehash) but has been coming in last place every generation but the 1st it released in.
And with this purchase they have twice as many studios and can easily outpace Sony releases. Not only that, they have one of, if not the most, profitable IPs in the industry.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
They did not say this. This wasnt a thing that happened. You are making shit up again

You frequently sound like just another account to spread misinformation every time I see you
Just report them if they are spamming/trolling.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
I don’t mind MS buying big publishers. Gaming needs a shakeup so knowing that Microsoft will consume studios and IP and immediately destroy the pedigree of the studios and IP worth is actually something I love seeing happen.

As far as I’m concerned this is how CoD’s dominance ends. RIP Activision.

I’m sure some people are excited about crash bandicoot but LoLs
Fallacy.
What would shake up gaming, is m$ releasing good games on monthly basis. That would really shake up gaming.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
I think they are willing to be acquired by Sony.
There are too many events that happened between Sony and Square Enix. I simply won’t believe it’s just pure coincidences.
MS attempted to buy Square Enix in 2020. Square rejected them. Sony got reported that MS wanted to buy Square Enix. Same majority of shareholders so very likely Sony got informed. Then Greg Miller and Jeff Grubb both heard from different sources in early 2021 that Sony has only interest in Square Enix. A long key-executive of Square Enix with Shinji Hashimoto declared his retirement due of age. A couple of weeks later he gets hired by Sony Music for an executive role. In 2022 Embracer buying the entire western arm of Square Enix. Eidos Interactive Founder speaks in an interview about this divestiture of their western arm. He states it’s because Sony is only interested in the Japanese part of Square Enix. Sony double dips on Manga to Anime Adaptions of Square Enix treasure drove. Previously Team Asano games exclusive to Nintendo such as Octopath and Live a Live hitting PS but not Xbox. FF7R didn’t launch on Xbox, neither will FFXVI. Square Enix announcing to move into a new and bigger HQ close to Sony’s in Shibuya. Targeting 2023 November for move. Matsuda declares his retirement. The new appointed CEO is coming from a Metaverse company. Am company Sony previously invested in. There is no way in hell this are all random coincidences. I bet on it.
Sony could just offer them the same deal they did bungie & allow them to be semi independent that would stop Microsoft from taking games away from them

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
He said it 2019... I dunno where to find the statements or slides. And like I said he said they intended to consolidate around 3rd party partners. I dunno why you're zooning in on ONLY exclusives when I never implied any of the such. Marketing deals is also part of that? The plan was to migrate the PS base over to PS5 at a rapid pace unlike ever seen. Unfortunately he didn't forsee Covid / chip shortage. Which was why they initially didn't even want GT7 / Horizon and others on PS4 until they realized they had to backtrack.

They wanted a huge base immediately to strike the deals, which obviously didn't pan out.

You're creating your own little scenario here and trying to claim I said something I didn't.
It was spread by bias xbot media shills and shills, as sony went to all publishers and made ton of 3 party exclusives. That was pure fantasy and fallacy.
Another shot to keep console wars with propaganda, faciliated m$.