Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
What a little cunt. I love how they all show their true colors
F1CpC3EXgAAH0wp
As an American, I would like government to nuke Microsoft HQ into the ground.

Microsoft put toxins in my food and kill my wife, indoctrinate my son with Rick and Morty. Evil Microsoft, why can they just leave me alone.

Calverz

28 Mar 2023

This COD addiction among gamers needs to be broken. Ubisoft's XDefiant has potential to challenge the dominance, but it will be tough.

I play a lot of cod. Currently have around 500 hours logged on MWII. I tried the xdefiant beta/test recently. COD isn’t going anywhere.

• haha
Reactions: Cool hand luke
27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
I think Sony would lose a shit ton of valuable revenue by cutting off CoD but it should and probably is being considered. Continuing to rely on your competitors games for revenue is going to diminish their brand, greatly. Especially if Microsoft decides next gen to make it exclusive to xbox/pc.

Sony need to start building up or finding a replacement for CoD. Keep warzone because its F2P but they need something like an APEX to replace the mainline series.

Microsoft is pretty much relying on Sony to fund this acquisition for them cause without sony 60% of the COD revenue evaporates.

Sony now has a shit ton of money that they aren’t spending on 6 years of COD marketing to put to good use.
Their plan is to make it exclusive next gen that's why Phil's email to Jim said they plan to release Activision titles on ps5 through to December 31st 2027 when he already said he doesn't expect the next console generation till 2028

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
Nintendo tried to merge with Bandai in 2002 and were denied. Why on earth would the JP regulatory bodies not let Nintendo be the big spoon to Bandai but let it get brought by Sony instead? Would actually probably not pass anywhere as that would be a horizontal merger of console manufacturers too.
It's not 2002 is it , we're in a time where Microsoft can buy Zenimax & then ABK , if regulators allow that they couldn't say no to sony or nintendo merging with anyone

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Not immediately. Many will wait to see if MS will bargain to improve working conditions. But best believe if they keep Bobby around we will see many leave. Sony needs to be on the prowl to poach as many.

Will be interesting to see how Xbox manages Activision though. It would be a shame if they eventually weaken them over time.
It’s Microsoft. They destroy everything they touch.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023

This COD addiction among gamers needs to be broken. Ubisoft's XDefiant has potential to challenge the dominance, but it will be tough.

Yep Sony officially allowed themselves to be backed into a corner by not having any investment protection into the biggest games on their platform. In a fair world regulators would have blocked this nonsense and held firm but the world is ran by corporations, so Sony should’ve prepared for this

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Yep Sony officially allowed themselves to be backed into a corner by not having any investment protection into the biggest games on their platform. In a fair world regulators would have blocked this nonsense and held firm but the world is ran by corporations, so Sony should’ve prepared for this
They still have a buffer of success that will buy them time to react but they will need to make some big moves once this deal is settled one way or the other. MS's plan to outspend Sony oit of business is in the open now (if it wasn't already obvious before).

Trust me be it Square Enix or Capcom, either one would cause a huge meltdown in the internet.
Just look at how angry they are over Final Fantasy temporary exclusivity, if Sony had been the one acquiring Bethesda, Activision and Blizzard Xbox fanboys would be having a complete meltdown.

They'll have a meltdown anyway because of Spider-man 2 success, just wait.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Only thing sony could possibly do on the level of this is buying Epic. Not only would they have fortnite but they would have all the rights to Unreal Engine. The gaming industry is so entrenched into UE at this point theres no turning back

Nothing else would come close to creating any significant leverage for them

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Only thing sony could possibly do on the level of this is buying Epic. Not only would they have fortnite but they would have all the rights to Unreal Engine. The gaming industry is so entrenched into UE at this point theres no turning back

Nothing else would come close to creating any significant leverage for them
Stop. Epic, Ubisoft, you guys want Sony to win buying trash.

Sony should buy quality publishers and studios. Capcom, SE, From Software, Take Two (and then sell Zynga).

Last edited:

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Stop. Epic, Ubisoft, you guys want Sony to win by absorbing trash.

Sony should buy quality publishers and studios. Capcom, SE, From Software, Take Two (and then sell Zynga).

Outside of take two those are just fantasy studios game enthusiast want not actual game changers. Capcom, from, SE, don’t generate money like Epic does, and they don’t have a hold over the casual market like Fortnite and to an extent rocket league do.

You guys are thinking from a hardcore gaming market pov, when activision was a monumental shift in casual userbase which is where the big money comes from. They have services that are constantly generating revenue, Fromsoft had a big game but not every game they put out is going to be elden ring, not every game capcom puts out is monster hunter, etc.

Sony don’t need more big single player adventure games, they need monstrous service games, they need a ladder into pc gaming, mobile, and they need huge residual income to keep their AAA single player game investment flowing.

The fact that COD can release every single year and be the biggest selling game every year on top of war zone and COD mobile, is pretty much unmatched otherwise. If sony can’t win back a huge segment of the casual market they are fucked

Last edited:

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Guys you will be disappointed if you don’t keep your expectations realistic. Sony won’t go after Mega sized publishers like EA, Epic, TakeTwo or bloated mess like Ubisoft or Embracer are.
They will probably buy some shares in Take2 to deepen their partnership.

What they will do for certainty, acquiring Intellectual Property. This is exactly what Sony’s CFO proposed a couple of days ago after the announcement that FTC’s appeal for PI was denied. With “IP”in focus, Sony is looking for franchises which can be expanded across Multi Media, such as Anime, Shows, Music, Mobile Gaming, Movies etc. in short synergies.
Hence for some publishers mentioned previously are ongoing rumours since which have been ongoing for a while now. After Hiroki Totoki’s statement I am more than ever convinced that Sony will buy Square Enix and Capcom. Of course not at the same time, but it’s going to happen. Every one who thinks Sony’s board are amateurs, will have a bad awakening. There is no way in hell that Sony will continue their business as usual by just buying small devs. “Prioritising Intellectual Property” this can’t be achieved by buying small developers without viable IPs.