Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Remember when 'anonymous sources' said that the CMA was going to approve, only for it to block because of SLC in cloud market?

Pepperidge farm remembers
I just wanted to see the deal fell through after 17th and watch meltdown on Twitter.

Idc if I die shortly after that. Life is fullfiling enough after that comedic shit. :ROFLMAO:

• haha
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Xbox really shows they are the combination of PSG and Man Utd.

Buying fucking AKB, Bethesda just like how PSG got Mbappe and Messi. But they got Ed Woodward and Glazers in charge meaning everything go to shit 🤣
you are writing nonsense. Man United is nothing like M$. it is own sustained club.

actually Glazers pumped from the club nearly 2B. not the way around.

Man City, PSG, yeah, those are scammers.

D

Deleted member 223

Who cares if Sony wins or loses if to win they have to start making shitty games like MS and Bethesda?

Focus on quality, secure the games the core PlayStation audience like and lets Xbox fuck itself trying to manage all these terrible studios and dead/dying IPs.

PlayStation has only two Japanese studios (one being pretty small), simply pathetic. Why wouldn't Sony leverage the fact they are a Japanese company and instead try to become Xbox?
This is a bad faith characterization of the matter and not worth much time. Who cares? Well for one Sony cares and anyone heavily invested library wise in their ecosystem should as well.

As for #2:

A lot of cope in my opinion.

Sony is the home of COD, it's also the home of Fortnite, and the home of GTA and a slew of other third party IP's, just like it's the home of Final Fantasy. Courtesy of being the market leader since PS1 came to the scene. These are games millions of people enjoy everyday on the platform.

Making good FPS and WRPG's that attract millions of consumers is not "becoming" Xbox or MS, it's filling the gaps of potential audience holes. Audiences that may find themselves more attracted to the Xbox/PC ecosystem if MS pulls the plug on many of those long established IP out of PlayStation. So that characterization is not only flawed, and deceptive, it's moronic - like a child throwing a tantrum.

PlayStation made an assessment and decided to kill its Japanese studios because they were ineffectual. Whether I agree or not is of no consequence. They did it themselves. Focusing/saying that Japanese studios are the only answer or focus on a publisher (Square) that does not address the potential content and audience gaps is not sound advice or a correct assessment of the situation. Where a publisher HQ is located does not matter... whether it's Japanese, European or American. What matters is the IP and content expertise as it relates to the audiences that Sony will need to address seriously. The western audience that consumes shooters and WRPGs on PS dwarfs all other audiences bar none. It dwarfs the weeb/JRPG audience, even the action adventure audience (which Sony excels at with their first party studios). That is the reality of the market, not make believe fairy tale dreams.

So, for example, buying FromSoftware is a good Japanese acquisition, because it addresses a critical audience gap in the WRPG porfolio for Sony, to better compete with the Diablo's, Elder Scrolls, Fallouts, Fables, the Starfields and Obsidian RPGs of this world. Final Fantasy is not an answer to that because it targets a difference audience - the weeb/JRPG kind...simple as that. So you need a FromSoftware, you need a CDPR, you need a Larian to go toe to toe with those IP's and not surrender that audience to Microsoft on a silver platter. You match fire with fire, Witcher, Souls, Baldurs Gate etc. You may even acquire Konami's IPs on the cheap, like Castlevania, to have an impact name IP to create a WRPG that speaks to all loud and clear.

You can make the same argument for shooters. COD, Rage, Doom, Halo, Gears and Overwatch. You need something more than just Destiny. Say Destiny and COD cancel each other out - although advantage COD imo. What else for the rest?

The goal for Sony should be to at the very least keep and maintain the status quo, not leave vulnerabilities and audience gaps best served on the competition. If you leave audience gaps in your ecosystem sooner or later those consumers will jump ship to be served their food where it's actually sold. Now you understand that a consumer = money. That is a responsibility for Sony and SIE to figure out - for the overall health and appeal of the ecosystem.

IF Microsoft were to have acquired SEGA and made Persona exclusive then I would be on board buying Square. You cancel their effort with Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest etc. But it's not SEGA Microsoft is acquiring, it's ABK and Bethesda, targeting the shooter/WRPG crowd because that is where the money and the consumers are - majority of them.

Last edited by a moderator:

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
If I'm Jim, I would probably buy sometimes until 25' to develop live services game to match COD. Find a good developer and borrow help from Bungie. Releasing beta, feedback and developing game that exploit players retention first, while slowly but carefully exploit players's pocket of course, as long as Sony got control of that IP.

Meanwhile do the least minimum to market COD while splash a big ad campaign of that game on top of COD if that game turns sucessful. The goal is to make as much players migrate from COD to that game. Activision can yell at the cloud as much as they can, they did thay to themselves.

After 25' COD just complete ban COD from their storefront and full out embrace that game success. It would be something they can control at.

If MS could run Halo into the ground, they could run COD into the ground. No IP is invincible, only the talents behind them can create something else.

DForce

24 Jun 2022
Since the CMA was properly corrupted.
Right now people are acting like this is a done deal and are thinking about ABK games on Game Pass and Microsoft's next acquisition.

If this deal is not settled by July 18th, then the tone is going to change once again.

People might realize the weight of the CMA's decision and how it could possibly kill this deal.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
This is a bad faith characterization of the matter and not worth much time. Who cares? Well for on Sony cares and anyone heavily invested library wise in their ecosystem should as well.

As for #2:

Sony is the home of COD, as the market leader, it's also the home of Fortnite, and the home of GTA and a slew of other third party IP's, just like it's the home of Final Fantasy. Courtesy of being the market leader since PS1 came to the scene. These are games millions of people enjoy everyday on the platform.

Making good FPS and WRPG's that attract millions of consumers is not "becoming" Xbox or MS, it's filling the gaps of potential holes in audiences that may find themselves more attracted to the Xbox/PC ecosystem if MS pulls the plug on many of those long established IP out of PS. So that characterization is not only flawed, and deceptive, it's moronic - like a child throwing a tantrum.

PlayStation itself decided to kill its Japanese studios because they were ineffectual in their assessment. Whether I agree or not is of no consequence. They did it themselves. To say that Japanese studios are the only answer or focus on a publisher (Square) that does not address the potential content and audience gaps is not sound advice or a correct assessment of the situation. It does not matter where the publisher HQ is located... whether it's Japanese, European or American. What matters is the IP and content expertise as it relates to the audiences that Sony will need to address seriously. The western audience that consumes shooters and WRPGs on PS dwarfs all other audiences bar none. It dwarfs the weeb/JRPG audience, even the action adventure audience (which Sony excels at with their first party studios). That is the reality of the market, not make believe fairy tale dreams.

So, for example, buying FromSoftware is a good Japanese acquisition, because it addresses a critical audience gap in the WRPG porfolio for Sony, to better compete with the Diablo's, Elder Scrolls, Fallouts, Fables, the Starfields and Obsidian RPGs of this world. Final Fantasy is not an answer to that because it targets a difference audience - the weeb/JRPG kind...simple as that. So you need a FromSoftware, you need a CDPR, you need a Larian to go toe to toe with those IP's and not surrender that audience to Microsoft on a silver platter. You match fire with fire, Witcher, Souls, Baldurs Gate etc.

You can make the same argument for shooters. COD, Rage, Doom, Halo, Gears and Overwatch. You need something more than just Destiny. Say Destiny and COD cancel each other out - although advantage COD imo. What else for the rest?

The goal for Sony should be to at the very least keep and maintain the status quo, not leave vulnerability and audience gaps best served on the competition. If you leave audience gaps in your ecosystem sooner or later those consumers will jump ship to be served their food where it's actually sold. Now you understand that a consumer = money. That is a responsability for Sony and SIE to figure out - for the overall health and appeal of the ecosystem.

IF Microsoft were to have acquired SEGA and made Persona exclusive then I would be on board buying Square. You cancel their effort with Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest etc. But it's not Square, it's a very audience specific and targeted at the shooter/WRPG crowd because that is where the money and the consumers are.
Truth bombs through all your posts. The only answer to this eventual Acti acquisition in scope would be EA or Epic. Fifa and Fortnite are the only two games on earth that can rival and or beat COD and Minecraft in popularity. Not to mention Xbox has had roblox console exclusivity for about two generations now.

PS list of acquisitions that can protect itself from complete wipeout is probably only 3 companies long, and none of them include japanese pubs. As it stands if Microsoft wanted to go scorched earth and pull acti and mojang games from playstation, casuals would only be left with fifa/fortnite/and gta. which is a scary thought if I'm Jim Ryan

• sad
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Right now people are acting like this is a done deal and are thinking about ABK games on Game Pass and Microsoft's next acquisition.

If this deal is not settled by July 18th, then the tone is going to change once again.

People might realize the weight of the CMA's decision and how it could possibly kill this deal.
Or they migth close who knows? I does seem like they will.

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Truth bombs through all your posts. The only answer to this eventual Acti acquisition in scope would be EA or Epic. Fifa and Fortnite are the only two games on earth that can rival and or beat COD and Minecraft in popularity. Not to mention Xbox has had roblox console exclusivity for about two generations now.

PS list of acquisitions that can protect itself from complete wipeout is probably only 3 companies long, and none of them include japanese pubs. As it stands if Microsoft wanted to go scorched earth and pull acti and mojang games from playstation, casuals would only be left with fifa/fortnite/and gta. which is a scary thought if I'm Jim Ryan
Xbox bought Minecraft, had a two generation exclusivity with Roblox, bought Bethesda and yet it's doing worse than before. If Sony is going to copy anyone it should be Nintendo or Valve, not Xbox.

Halo was once far bigger than any Sony IP at the time, now it dead. I want more Sony games not them trying to have an exact answer for every garbage popular IP MS acquires.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
If I'm Jim, I would probably buy sometimes until 25' to develop live services game to match COD. Find a good developer and borrow help from Bungie. Releasing beta, feedback and developing game that exploit players retention first, while slowly but carefully exploit players's pocket of course, as long as Sony got control of that IP.

Meanwhile do the least minimum to market COD while splash a big ad campaign of that game on top of COD if that game turns sucessful. The goal is to make as much players migrate from COD to that game. Activision can yell at the cloud as much as they can, they did thay to themselves.

After 25' COD just complete ban COD from their storefront and full out embrace that game success. It would be something they can control at.

If MS could run Halo into the ground, they could run COD into the ground. No IP is invincible, only the talents behind them can create something else.
I think they should be allowed to have their money back for the cod marketing seen as ever since Microsoft announced this acquisition they've been undermining cod's future on playstation, doesn't really seem fair to me

• haha
Reactions: MScarpa and Eggman
27 Jun 2023
United kingdom

Roblox is exclusive to Xbox because Sony was protecting children on their platform no Xbox deal just them not giving a shit

D

Deleted member 223

Xbox bought Minecraft, had a two generation exclusivity with Roblox, bought Bethesda and yet it's doing worse than before. If Sony is going to copy anyone it should be Nintendo or Valve, not Xbox.

Halo was once far bigger than any Sony IP at the time, now it dead. I want more Sony games not them trying to have an exact answer for every garbage popular IP MS acquires.
Not every IP will be answered punch for punch. But not everything can go unanswered. Say you don't need 4-5 studios making WRPGs or 6 studios looking to drown COD and Overwatch but you need something more than just Destiny and 0 WRPG big hitting franchises. We'll see how those GAAS shooters Sony is working on pan out but there is going to be a lot of failures in that pack, if any succeed to the level required. The shooter audience can not be allowed to flee PlayStation in any significant fashion - and you certainly don't leave the answer to that question up to chance and luck. Better to overreact, or at least react with something than to do nothing and cry later you didn't do enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ludwig

riesgoyfortuna

Veteran
4 Jul 2022

It were Sony i will spend a lot of money, time and good devs. To resurrect socom and made it a f2p to disrupt cod

Reactions: Arminius
24 Jun 2022
This is a bad faith characterization of the matter and not worth much time. Who cares? Well for one Sony cares and anyone heavily invested library wise in their ecosystem should as well.

As for #2:

Sony is the home of COD, it's also the home of Fortnite, and the home of GTA and a slew of other third party IP's, just like it's the home of Final Fantasy. Courtesy of being the market leader since PS1 came to the scene. These are games millions of people enjoy everyday on the platform.

Making good FPS and WRPG's that attract millions of consumers is not "becoming" Xbox or MS, it's filling the gaps of potential holes in audiences that may find themselves more attracted to the Xbox/PC ecosystem if MS pulls the plug on many of those long established IP out of PS. So that characterization is not only flawed, and deceptive, it's moronic - like a child throwing a tantrum.

PlayStation itself decided to kill its Japanese studios because they were ineffectual in their assessment. Whether I agree or not is of no consequence. They did it themselves. To say that Japanese studios are the only answer or focus on a publisher (Square) that does not address the potential content and audience gaps is not sound advice or a correct assessment of the situation. Where a publisher HQ is located does not matter... whether it's Japanese, European or American. What matters is the IP and content expertise as it relates to the audiences that Sony will need to address seriously. The western audience that consumes shooters and WRPGs on PS dwarfs all other audiences bar none. It dwarfs the weeb/JRPG audience, even the action adventure audience (which Sony excels at with their first party studios). That is the reality of the market, not make believe fairy tale dreams.

So, for example, buying FromSoftware is a good Japanese acquisition, because it addresses a critical audience gap in the WRPG porfolio for Sony, to better compete with the Diablo's, Elder Scrolls, Fallouts, Fables, the Starfields and Obsidian RPGs of this world. Final Fantasy is not an answer to that because it targets a difference audience - the weeb/JRPG kind...simple as that. So you need a FromSoftware, you need a CDPR, you need a Larian to go toe to toe with those IP's and not surrender that audience to Microsoft on a silver platter. You match fire with fire, Witcher, Souls, Baldurs Gate etc. You may even acquire Konami's IPs on the cheap, like Castlevania, to have an impact name IP to create a WRPG that speaks to all loud and clear.

The goal for Sony should be to at the very least keep and maintain the status quo, not leave vulnerabilities and audience gaps best served on the competition. If you leave audience gaps in your ecosystem sooner or later those consumers will jump ship to be served their food where it's actually sold. Now you understand that a consumer = money. That is a responsibility for Sony and SIE to figure out - for the overall health and appeal of the ecosystem.

IF Microsoft were to have acquired SEGA and made Persona exclusive then I would be on board buying Square. You cancel their effort with Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest etc. But it's not SEGA Microsoft is acquiring, it's ABK and Bethesda, targeting the shooter/WRPG crowd because that is where the money and the consumers are - majority of them.

Sega/Atlus is probably their next target, dude. So Sony securing Square-Enix as a pre-emptive measure rather than a reactive one would be a better course of action for them. Plus, they don't need to necessarily make acquisition and investment moves timed to the beat of what Microsoft does; that's not how a market leader should act.

Also FWIW, PS1 & PS2 did perfectly fine, and did not chase after what their competitors were doing at the time. The strengths of those systems was just as much being a defacto exclusive platforms for Japanese 3P content as well as having a healthy serving of Western 3P support in the big genres. Sony's strength in the first area has weakened considerably over the year with the combination of Nintendo Switch, Microsoft enticing Japanese 3P with Game Pass deals, and growth of mobile and PC.

I feel that PlayStation as a platform needs to solidify itself in both Western and Japanese areas to be a truly successful platform. But in terms of also serving their entertainment interests in transmedia properties, it's Japanese 3P who would easily provide what they need there versus Western 3P. The fact is, Japanese publishers would be cheaper to go for, and provide more overall value when talking about transmedia expansion in addition to games. Most Western 3P would cost more and have significantly more limited IP opportunities for transmedia growth. The only one off the top of my head that may compare with the more prolific Japanese 3P publishers, is Ubisoft, but they are bloated in terms of employees and other redundancies.

Meanwhile, to accomplish a lot of what you are suggesting, I think Sony's best option would be a strategic partnership/alliance with EA and Epic. That doesn't just mean marketing deals with games like Battlefield and Fortnite, but also pumping investments into both companies and buying big shares into them (or to buy more shares into them, in the case of Epic). That gets them preferential access to massive shooters; meanwhile games like Immortals of Aveum and even Horizon can expand into more proper WRPG entries over time, the latter already having a big fanbase.

In all honesty, I don't think Sony need to focus on matching Microsoft beat-for-beat in terms of shooters or WRPGs; there will still be quite a lot of 3P in both genres they'll keep getting, and they can prioritize strategic partnerships for certain games with specific 3P publishers on top of that, and secure those investments in ways they did not with ABK. But if Sony don't secure some of their biggest Japanese partners and IPs therein, they are going to lose a lot of enthusiasts (especially those who have been with the brand for years largely due to PlayStation being the hub for those games), and that WILL affect a lot of casuals and mainstream later on when those types are ready to jump into a console ecosystem.

It'll also betray their gaming heritage; Microsoft are a laughingstock among many partly because they've let their heritage rot. Halo is basically in a coma, Rare's legacy IP have been MIA for years (decades in some cases), PGR is dead, Blinx has been dead for decades, they didn't secure rights to a KOTOR Remake, they never bothered doing anything else with Jade Empire, never did anything else with Shenmue, Crazy Taxi, Jet Set Radio etc. and basically did performative arts with the few Japanese 3P exclusive JRPGs they had early in the 360's life, among other things. PlayStation's legacy is largely driven by key Japanese gaming franchises; it's time for Sony to secure them.

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
I think they should be allowed to have their money back for the cod marketing seen as ever since Microsoft announced this acquisition they've been undermining cod's future on playstation, doesn't really seem fair to me
It is an opportunity. If they can comes with anything closed to COD, they should splash on COD marketing.

Activision woule complain, but good luch.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
Sega/Atlus is probably their next target, dude. So Sony securing Square-Enix as a pre-emptive measure rather than a reactive one would be a better course of action for them. Plus, they don't need to necessarily make acquisition and investment moves timed to the beat of what Microsoft does; that's not how a market leader should act.

Also FWIW, PS1 & PS2 did perfectly fine, and did not chase after what their competitors were doing at the time. The strengths of those systems was just as much being a defacto exclusive platforms for Japanese 3P content as well as having a healthy serving of Western 3P support in the big genres. Sony's strength in the first area has weakened considerably over the year with the combination of Nintendo Switch, Microsoft enticing Japanese 3P with Game Pass deals, and growth of mobile and PC.

I feel that PlayStation as a platform needs to solidify itself in both Western and Japanese areas to be a truly successful platform. But in terms of also serving their entertainment interests in transmedia properties, it's Japanese 3P who would easily provide what they need there versus Western 3P. The fact is, Japanese publishers would be cheaper to go for, and provide more overall value when talking about transmedia expansion in addition to games. Most Western 3P would cost more and have significantly more limited IP opportunities for transmedia growth. The only one off the top of my head that may compare with the more prolific Japanese 3P publishers, is Ubisoft, but they are bloated in terms of employees and other redundancies.

Meanwhile, to accomplish a lot of what you are suggesting, I think Sony's best option would be a strategic partnership/alliance with EA and Epic. That doesn't just mean marketing deals with games like Battlefield and Fortnite, but also pumping investments into both companies and buying big shares into them (or to buy more shares into them, in the case of Epic). That gets them preferential access to massive shooters; meanwhile games like Immortals of Aveum and even Horizon can expand into more proper WRPG entries over time, the latter already having a big fanbase.

In all honesty, I don't think Sony need to focus on matching Microsoft beat-for-beat in terms of shooters or WRPGs; there will still be quite a lot of 3P in both genres they'll keep getting, and they can prioritize strategic partnerships for certain games with specific 3P publishers on top of that, and secure those investments in ways they did not with ABK. But if Sony don't secure some of their biggest Japanese partners and IPs therein, they are going to lose a lot of enthusiasts (especially those who have been with the brand for years largely due to PlayStation being the hub for those games), and that WILL affect a lot of casuals and mainstream later on when those types are ready to jump into a console ecosystem.

It'll also betray their gaming heritage; Microsoft are a laughingstock among many partly because they've let their heritage rot. Halo is basically in a coma, Rare's legacy IP have been MIA for years (decades in some cases), PGR is dead, Blinx has been dead for decades, they didn't secure rights to a KOTOR Remake, they never bothered doing anything else with Jade Empire, never did anything else with Shenmue, Crazy Taxi, Jet Set Radio etc. and basically did performative arts with the few Japanese 3P exclusive JRPGs they had early in the 360's life, among other things. PlayStation's legacy is largely driven by key Japanese gaming franchises; it's time for Sony to secure them.
I don't like the consolidation of gaming but I'll weigh in with what I want Sony to acquire .. capcom & sega

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Anyone still thinking this deal isn’t done and finished at this point is just fooling themselves.

Its Over GIF

• brain
Reactions: Nhomnhom