Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
I don’t think Jim has a choice here. MS has the legal system in its pockets, so there’s no stopping this deal by any lawful means.

PS can’t play the acquisition game because that’s exactly what MS wants, bleeding PS to death in a spending competition.

PS needs to do what Nintendo did when it realized they can’t play the power arms race with PS and MS without going broke. Focus on it’s strength, which is creating great content. No other way around it.

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
Must the the 10 year deal initially offered. Still, this is going to suck for everyone in long term.

Yeah, we’re fucked.

This feels like negotiating surrender after a war. Hopefully Sony don't intend to just let Xbox take over the gaming industry and wipe them out though.

Haha, Jim folded.

Now make sure you don't buy a leverage you can use against them.

so is it better to your own demise? wtf is this?
no wonder Ybarra and Phil opened expensive glass of drink when Jimbo was sign as PS CEO.

fucking comedy. incompetent VS incompetent.

Same situation as other companies signed a deal 2 months ago. PlayStation did it too, now.

Deal still isn't closed and contracts can be destroyed (like any other) if CMA blocked the deal

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
PS needs to do what Nintendo did when it realized they can’t play the powers arms race with PS and MS without going broke. Focus on it’s strength, which is creating great content. No other way around it.
Won't work for Sony. If they go the Nintendo way, don't expect the same level of quality and scope of these games.

Nintendo invests MUCH less in their games. With a smaller budget, say goodbye to these huge PS games. Developing Zelda and Horizon are completely different. Sony needs much larger investments in their first party games.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
War Hello GIF by Medalla

Jimbo chose the easy option which will hurt in the long term.

They need to develop their own military FPS in the mean time and promote other shooters from EA and Ubisoft.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
Yeah there's definitely some subtext of "we want to own the industry"
If they meant what he said there they'd be doing a deal similar to the one Sony signed with bungie & allow all activision IPs to remain multiplat , I don't know about everyone else on here but cod isn't one of my favourite games , crash , spyro , prototype , doom , the evil within etc are but I can bet my life they'll not be on my platform of choice because Spencer & co.

Reactions: Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I don’t think Jim has a choice here. MS has the legal system in its pockets, so there’s no stopping this deal by any lawful means.

PS can’t play the acquisition game because that’s exactly what MS wants, bleeding PS to death in a spending competition.

PS needs to do what Nintendo did when it realized they can’t play the power arms race with PS and MS without going broke. Focus on it’s strength, which is creating great content. No other way around it.

If they can get TakeTwo, that is enough to counter fully. That is the power play.

But I know a large percentage of people doubt that Sony will even try that.

There is also the quality path but I believe many of the recent acquisitions have not followed the quality path... Nixxes, Firesprite and some others just lower the quality IMO.

A quality spree IMO would be.... IOI, Remedy, Asobo, From , Arc System Works, Square.... companies like those.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Damit this annoys me. Why didn’t they just wait until their contracts expired out? Remember my words Sony will regret this. Later on when Call of Duty launches on Next Generation Xbox but not on PS6, it will hurt a lot more than if they had not extended the contracts. Even if COD will come to PS6, the shooter giant will be literally free on Xbox GP, while PlayStation fans can pay 70 dollar or 80 euros on Call of Duty. Congratulations Jim Ryan, you’re a man with courage. I can’t believe how many supporters here are for Jimbo. I will said once again: Jim Ryan and Hermen Hulst will drag Sony down to the abyss. Mark my words.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Yeah jim is an idiot.

CMA can technically still oppose it as their cloud arguments doesn't actually rely on sony, remember they pretty much threw sonys response to the removal of the console concerns in the dustbin. But who knows at this point.

Also is this only for console? Or cloud aswell?

If there is a cloud deal, CMA have argued against deals in the cloud, so they can't really go back on that.

Now the question is what is the divestiture MS have offered and does it address the cloud SLC?

Last edited:

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Here's the deal, though. With this move, Sony now subsidizes GP itself. PS will rake in billions for MS. Sony is now directly bolstering their competition's income.

Maybe cutting it off now is better than subsidizing GP for 10 years.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
Won't work for Sony. If they go the Nintendo way, don't expect the same level of quality and scope of these games.

Nintendo invests MUCH less in their games. With a smaller budget, say goodbye to these huge PS games. Developing Zelda and Horizon are completely different. Sony needs much larger investments in their first party games.

I don’t think anyone can replicate Nintendo. However, PS has been consistent with quality content in the past 10 years or so. How else they can keep themselves afloat? And they're increasing investent in their first party studios, not cutting their budgets. Or did I
miss something?

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Here's the deal, though. With this move, Sony now subsidizes GP itself. PS will rake in billions for MS. Sony is now directly bolstering their competition's income.

Maybe cutting it off now is better than subsidizing GP for 10 years.
Yes, of course, keep xbox afloat. Jimbo is a genius.

Xbox : we are here to kill Playstation any means necessary, anti-competitive, dirty, any means, who cares..

Jimbo: here, i help you!

Reactions: Would_you_kindly