Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Which crazy bastard thought Jim Ryan would be a good CEO? He has the worst track record ever of a PlayStation CEO. And now before you say but he delivered Exclusives. This exclusive games were made by other competent people: Shuhei Yoshida, Christian Svensson, Keiichiro Urata. Jim Ryan hasn’t made single deal. This deals were done by his employees. His inventions along with Hermen Hulst: Live Service Games, wasting resources for PC porting, more western studios buyouts and Cloud/Streaming Only Handheld. 🤡
I can say it enough: I hope this old fossil gets sacked. We need back a Japanese CEO at the top of SIE.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
I think Jim Ryan is doing a fantastic job and every CEO is a bean counter, that's a major part of their job...
What good has he done? The only positive thing I can think of is the PS+ rework. Most of the good stuff so far were already going to happen anyway and other than Housemarque and Bluepoint I don't care for anything else he acquired.

Which crazy bastard thought Jim Ryan would be a good CEO? He has the worst track record ever of a PlayStation CEO. And now before you say but he delivered Exclusives. This exclusive games were made by other competent people: Shuhei Yoshida, Christian Svensson, Keiichiro Urata. Jim Ryan hasn’t made single deal. This deals were done by his employees. His inventions along with Hermen Hulst: Live Service Games, wasting resources for PC porting, more western studios buyouts and Cloud/Streaming Only Handheld. 🤡
I can say it enough: I hope this old fossil gets sacked. We need back a Japanese CEO at the top of SIE.
Even the Insomniac deal was already pretty much done before he took over and likely so were the exclusivity of Final Fantasy games.

Jimbo went all in on GaaS, doubled down on PC ports, bought exclusivity of Bethesda game like Deathloop/Ghoswire Tokyo that no one cared about, lied about crossgen games for no reason, did everything to kill the PlayStation hype, allowed MS to control the narrative and somehow made Sony communication even worse.

Last edited:

kuzon

23 Jun 2023
We need new kill zone and resistance games and other old ips on PlayStation, that’s what they should focus on instead of gaas fully

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Remember, for CMA even and for EU it didn't matter if Microsoft signed something with Sony because "it makes no sense to keep COD off of Playstation"
Even though I still think they should have waited until CMA decision. Your completeley right here.

Both the CMA and EC dropped console concerns, in other words they didn't even need microsoft to offer a contract on console for COD.

FTC yeah pretty much done and dusted on the console front, they used Sony as their main defense who just signed a contract. But they technically can continue arguing on the cloud gaming front. Whether they do that who knows.

I know alot of you have pretty much accepted that CMA will approve and they may very well do. But imo this contract being signed doesn't hurt the CMA arguements, as the CMA didn't even think it was necessary to have a contract for cod on consoles.

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
They are not wrong. PlayStation players should not be buying any Xbox games or games that are on Gamepass unless they want to help MS with their plans of destroying PlayStation.

Even though I still think they should have waited until CMA decision. Your completeley right here.

Both the CMA and EC dropped console concerns, in other words they didn't even need microsoft to offer a contract on console for COD.

FTC yeah pretty much done and dusted on the console front, the system won't allow them to really go any further and they used Sony as their main defense. But they technically can continue arguing on the cloud gaming front. Whether they do that who knows.

I know alot of you have pretty much accepted that CMA will approve and they may very well do. But imo this contract being signed doesn't hurt the CMA arguements, as the CMA didn't even think it was necessary to have a contract for cod on consoles.
You keep taking regulators at face value and not facing how these things actually work. Sony only signed it now because the deal is done and they got scared MS would not offer the same deal in the future.

There are just way to many coincidences for this deal no to be closing.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Metacomentary. Weird because I don't even know what that means lol

At first was trolling, but they dropped it
It means you’re talking about the community itself on a critical way. Era doesn’t accept its members criticizing each other.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
Phil Spencer is like one of those kids that think they're a hot shot because they have rich parents but is just a piece of garbage
I've said simillar in the past. The kid with all the new toys, and wonders why still no one wants to be their friend.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
You keep taking regulators at face value and not facing how these things actually work. Sony only signed it now because the deal is done and they got scared MS would not offer the same deal in the future.

There are just way to many coincidences for this deal no to be closing.
Just laying out the facts, and CMA aren't like other regulators which anyone can see from this case and past cases.

What really matters is what MS offered in their new deal and is that sufficient.

Now if CMA do end up accepting some weak offer that doesn't address their concerns, I'll agree with you.

25 Jul 2022

FTC yeah pretty much done and dusted on the console front, the system won't allow them to really go any further and they used Sony as their main defense. But they technically can continue arguing on the cloud gaming front. Whether they do that who knows.

So this makes no difference to the CMA block and would perhaps have been much more helpful to have signed a deal with Amazon if they were serious about alleviating CMA’s concerns in cloud. That’s the path they should be taking but they choose not to.

Reactions: FatKaz

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
If they think the CMA is done then its probably better to take the offer before MS retracts it. Even if they keep CoD on Playstation sans deal, you have no idea what they would want to do in 10 years. Might as well bind them to a written agreement now.

Reactions: ksdixon

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022

Somebody on a forum deffinately thought Ryan was good for the job, or had a good track record in Europe prior to that. I remember reading it somewhere one time. I'll bet it was Yurinka ;)

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
So this makes no difference to the CMA block and would perhaps have been much more helpful to have signed a deal with Amazon if they were serious about alleviating CMA’s concerns in cloud. That’s the path they should be taking but they choose not to.
Not just Amazon but playstation aswell with ps plus premium . I'm trying to find that info if the deal includes cloud gaming, but can't seem to find anyone mentioning that.

The other thing is CMA made it clear the current cloud gaming deals wouldn't be sufficient, so even signing cloud contracts would not be enough. For example microsfts take 100% of the micro transaction, and all sorts of other issues in their final report.

Last edited:

Eggman

12 Apr 2023
What good has he done? The only positive thing I can think of is the PS+ rework. Most of the good stuff so far were already going to happen anyway and other than Housemarque and Bluepoint I don't care for anything else he acquired.

Even the Insomniac deal was already pretty much done before he took over and likely so were the exclusivity of Final Fantasy games.

Jimbo went all in on GaaS, doubled down on PC ports, bought exclusivity of Bethesda game like Deathloop/Ghoswire Tokyo that no one cared about, lied about crossgen games for no reason, did everything to kill the PlayStation hype, allowed MS to control the narrative and somehow made Sony communication even worse.
You dont care for Insomniac? Firesprite was also a great purchase and I think Firewalk has tons of potential.

And in terms of a strictly business investment Bungie was great.

Hes made Playstation larger than ever. What did the previous leadership do that was so great?

They also created one of the best VR headsets under him, PS5 is a fantastic console with a fantastic controller, accessibility controller also looks awesome.

He lead Playstation throughout a global pandemic which must have been very difficult.

People forget that they gave a bunch of games away for free near the start of the pandemic.

The PS+ collections

Astro Bot being free and fantastic

Helped fund Kena. Publishing Rise of Ronin

But most of all hes increased their revenue exponentially. I think you forget they need to make money to continue and expand and that requires making moves that make them more money even if requires to open up their walled garden a bit.

They are a publicly traded company and thus have a duty to shareholders to maximize revenue and profits. If they dont they get replaced. Thats how business works and it's a simple concept

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
You dont care for Insomniac? Firesprite was also a great purchase and I think Firewalk has tons of potential.

And in terms of a strictly business investment Bungie was great.

Hes made Playstation larger than ever. What did the previous leadership do that was so great?

They also created one of the best VR headsets under him, PS5 is a fantastic console with a fantastic controller, accessibility controller also looks awesome.

He lead Playstation throughout a global pandemic which must have been very difficult.

People forget that they gave a bunch of games away for free near the start of the pandemic.

The PS+ collections

Astro Bot being free and fantastic

Helped fund Kena. Publishing Rise of Ronin

But most of all hes increased their revenue exponentially. I think you forget they need to make money to continue and expand and that requires making moves that make them more money even if requires to open up their walled garden a bit.

They are a publicly traded company and thus have a duty to shareholders to maximize revenue and profits. If they dont they get replaced. Thats how business works and it's a simple concept
Jim Ryan wasn't the one that set up the Insomniac deal. That was Shawn Layden.

PS5 and PSVR2 were all well in development already, I don't know why you would give him any credit for that.

Some of your other points are good, so far PS5 has done pretty well but every time they mention the future it does not seem to be going into a good direction at all, in fact it is pretty obvious PlayStation is being steered away from what made the PS4 and PS5 successful in the first place.

As far as Bungie goes, if I cared about Bungie I would be an Xbox fan.

Reactions: Eternal_Wings

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
If they think the CMA is done then its probably better to take the offer before MS retracts it. Even if they keep CoD on Playstation sans deal, you have no idea what they would want to do in 10 years. Might as well bind them to a written agreement now.
Yeah that's a fair point. CMA is the uncertainty now.