Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Jim Ryan wasn't the one that set up the Insomniac deal. That was Shawn Layden.

PS5 and PSVR2 were all well in development already, I don't know why you would give him any credit for that.

Some of your other points are good, so far PS5 has done pretty well but every time they mention the future it does not seem to be going into a good direction at all, in fact it is pretty obvious PlayStation is being steered away from what made the PS4 and PS5 successful in the first place.
yeah, Layden and Kodera ultimately.

Reactions: Nhomnhom

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
I think Jim Ryan is doing a fantastic job and every CEO is a bean counter, that's a major part of their job...
Lol I'm sure you're my mate Andy on the quiet, sometimes. Need to ask him sometime in person too.

What do you like that Ryan is responsible for, which isn't just started b4 his time, or owed to being market leader?

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Lol I'm sure you're my mate Andy on the quiet, sometimes. Need to ask him sometime too in person too.

What do you like that Ryan is responsible for, which isn't just started b4 his time, or owed to being market leader?
Probably likes that he is destroying PlayStation and setting it up for failure in the future.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
3d

I don't see it.
I clearly see it.

Anyway I'm out, this place is going to get really toxic and depressing in the next few weeks.

I'll enjoy FFXVI, Baldur's Gate 3, Spider-man 2 and hope that Sony will do something soon to course correct. If that doesn't happen then it's back to PC full time next gen I guess, I hope stutter and bad ports are finally sorted by then but I doubt it.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
How the hell FTC still can appeal deapite losses at the court? Can someone explain
When you initially lose a court case you can "appeal" it to a higher level court. If they agree to they will retry the case and render their own decision. Its slightly more complex than that but that is the gist of it. The next highest level court, I believe, would be the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, and then the Supreme Court of the United States above that. The SCOTUS is currently very conservative and would probably rule in Microsoft's favor, the FTC's best hope was to beat it in lower courts, play out the clock and have Activision independently walk away from it.

Eggman

12 Apr 2023
Jim Ryan wasn't the one that set up the Insomniac deal. That was Shawn Layden.

PS5 and PSVR2 were all well in development already, I don't know why you would give him any credit for that.

Some of your other points are good, so far PS5 has done pretty well but every time they mention the future it does not seem to be going into a good direction at all, in fact it is pretty obvious PlayStation is being steered away from what made the PS4 and PS5 successful in the first place.

As far as Bungie goes, if I cared about Bungie I would be an Xbox fan.
Shawn Layden never had that power, he was never CEO of Playstation, that wasn't his job.

Jim was still in charge of Sony 21 months before the PS5 released so he was in charge for the most important duration leading up to its release. Same with PSVR2 which was likely just a concept when he took over

Sony is not steering away from what PS4 successful. Those single player studios that make the games you all love are still making those types of games.

But the issue is those alone are not sustainable. A single player game releasing once every 4-5 years where it makes the majority of its money in the first few months after release and then not much for another 4-5 years is not sustainable for any company. They need more revenue streams and that involves making some service games.

Just look at Epic, Fortnite blowing up has given them so much freedom to do other things ane expand greatly

If you dont like Bungie just think of the money they will bring in Sony to keep growing their other studios tou do like.

DForce

24 Jun 2022
I don't know Jim is getting so much hate for singing the 10-year deal.

The EU and CMA dropped their console concerns and the FTC lost their case. There's really nothing to lose. You take the best option available to you. You don't reject it because of pride.

It's the end game and Sony helping to fight against the deal will no longer do anything.

It's basically all on the CMA right now. They have the power to either pass or stop the deal.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Shawn Layden never had that power, he was never CEO of Playstation, that wasn't his job.

Jim was still in charge of Sony 21 months before the PS5 released so he was in charge for the most important duration leading up to its release. Same with PSVR2 which was likely just a concept when he took over

Sony is not steering away from what PS4 successful. Those single player studios that make the games you all love are still making those types of games.

But the issue is those alone are not sustainable. A single player game releasing once every 4-5 years where it makes the majority of its money in the first few months after release and then not much for another 4-5 years is not sustainable for any company. They need more revenue streams and that involves making some service games.

Just look at Epic, Fortnite blowing up has given them so much freedom to do other things ane expand greatly

If you dont like Bungie just think of the money they will bring in Sony to keep growing their other studios tou do like.

Where is Uncharted? Where is a new TLoU? Where is the new Media Molecule game? Where is Japan Studios? Things has really slowed down.

Funny that what got them here is not sustainable, but a bunch of failed PC ports and GaaS flops are what is going to save them... :ROFLMAO: we have seen plenty of publishers trying this strategy before and failing miserably.

As for Fortnite, if it was that easy to create on Epic would've made another and every publisher would've had their own. Epic was lucky that Battle Royale became popular when it did and they were perfectly positioned with what was at the time a huge GaaS flop to copy the formula from remarkably incompetent studios like Bluehole and SOE.

Last edited:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
How the hell FTC still can appeal deapite losses at the court? Can someone explain
They lost the motions for an injunction. They didn't lose the case itself (although given how stacked the legal deck is towards corpos in America, they'll lose there as well)

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023

Where is Uncharted? Where is a new TLoU? Where is the new Media Molecule game? Where is Japan Studios? Things has really slowed down.

No new Uncharted. Franchise is put to the rest as it should be. I want new IP ( like Rise of Ronin and Stellar blade) TLOU 2 came out 3 years ago and you expecting TLOU 3 already. LOL
Media Molecule will announced something when it is ready.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
No new Uncharted. Franchise is put to the rest as it should be. I want new IP ( like Rise of Ronin and Stellar blade) TLOU 2 came out 3 years ago and you expecting TLOU 3 already. LOL
Media Molecule will announced something when it is ready.
As for new IPs, all we got was Returnal and we'll be entering year 4 of PS5 in a few months.

Stellar Blade looks like vaporware trash, sad that you even mention it.

Eggman

12 Apr 2023

Layden is just saying he was "associated" with its as in he was apart of Sony while it happened. Jim Ryan would have been the one to secure and approve it as CEO

ND said they were done with Uncharted after 4, that has nothing to do with Jim Ryan.

ND released TLOU2 3 years ago. As I said it takes 4-5 years to release a AAA games which is a large part of the issue. And that time will only get longer as standards get higher.

Media Molecule alao release their last game just over 3 years ago after taking several years to make Dreams. The previous leadership would have probably shuttered them already lile they did Evolution and Guerilla Cambridge.

Sony Japan is also the fault of previous leadership. They struggled greatly during the transition to PS3 and HD gaming. They once gad over 40 games in production not going anywhere. They were a mess for a long time. They needed to be restructured and that is essentially what happened and are now being restructured around Asobi, their most successful team in the last decade. Only thing I wish is they found a way to keep Toyama.

So another thing Ill add is PS5 being fully backwards compatible

Things slowed down because of huge global pandemic. Sony still manged to release more games than practically everyone else in the last 2.5 years and that is no small feat

Reactions: Plextorage

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Layden is just saying he was "associated" with its as in he was apart of Sony while it happened. Jim Ryan would have been the one to secure and approve it as CEO

ND said they were done with Uncharted after 4, that has nothing to do with Jim Ryan.

ND released TLOU2 3 years ago. As I said it takes 4-5 years to release a AAA games which is a large part of the issue. And that time will only get longer as standards get higher.

Media Molecule alao release their last game just over 3 years ago after taking several years to make Dreams. The previous leadership would have probably shuttered them already lile they did Evolution and Guerilla Cambridge.

Sony Japan is also the fault of previous leadership. They struggled greatly during the transition to PS3 and HD gaming. They once gad over 40 games in production not going anywhere. They were a mess for a long time. They needed to be restructured and that is essentially what happened and are now being restructured around Asobi, their most successful team in the last decade. Only thing I wish is they found a way to keep Toyama.

So another thing Ill add is PS5 being fully backwards compatible

Things slowed down because of huge global pandemic. Sony still manged to release more games than practically everyone else in the last 2.5 years and that is no small feat
I get it now, Jim Ryan is perfect everything good happening to the PS5 is because of him and everything bad is the fault of the previous leadership that left him with the hard task of following up the PS4, with Mark Cerny as lead architect and some of the best studios in the industry.

Uncharted is a great IP that should be worked on even after ND moves on to something else. That is an obvious and safe opportunity to expand, they could've bought Crystal Dynamics to take care of it for peanuts and they would've acquired other great IPs alongside it as well.