Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
We wont let it get too toxic. If there are any signs of the place turning into something negative, just message and we will do what we can to improve things.
I meant to say the internet, not specifically icon-era. We are in for weeks of Xbox gloating.

No offense to him, but Jim Ryan is being an idiot here. Battlefield still has way more cache than Killzone, Resistance, SOCOM or Syphon Filter. I'm not saying don't invest in a new installment to one of those, but if you want to actually cover your bets with live-service/GaaS in a way that doesn't create too much a strain on your 1P studios, then spread that out to backing up a few big 3P live-service/GaaS titles (and make some majority share purchases in some of those 3P publishers while at it).

I increasingly get the feeling his and Sony's problem is they are too focused on having "the big one" to replace COD. They don't need "the big one", they just need maybe 3-4 moderate-sized, solid bets, and not all of them need to be military sci-fi shooters. Get thematically inventive with some of your live-service/GaaS titles. It would help to be more diverse in that respect.
BF already done well against CoD in the past it was just mismanaged to death recently, the IP is still very salvageable. Not to mention that they can bet on multiple games like Apex as well and use them to replace the marketing deal they had with Activision.

Eggman

12 Apr 2023
Rise of the Ronin was in production from 2017 with collaboration with Playstation. it was made PS exclusive long time ago pre-Jimbo and Hulst.
Do we know when Sony took over publishing? Sometimes its not at the start just like Stellar Blade

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
It WAS great IP. With new Uncharted frachise would become saturated, just like with Gears. Fortunately, Uncharted 4 finished with franchise. No need for another sequel
That is thinking way to small, it is a great franchise, always was and it also very versatile. So far they have only explored it in a very strait forward way.

An actual pirate game using the Uncharted IP would could be awesome, a crossover with Tomb Raider would've worked when that IP and studio was being sold for peanuts by one of Sony's biggest partners. Uncharted has a huge advantage over Indiana Jones it's not completely dependent on Drake even if he is a great character and could still be used.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
No new Uncharted. Franchise is put to the rest as it should be. I want new IP ( like Rise of Ronin and Stellar blade) TLOU 2 came out 3 years ago and you expecting TLOU 3 already. LOL
Media Molecule will announced something when it is ready.
TLOU2 came out 3 years ago?
Fucking hell! ... I seriously need to sort out this engagement breakup depression.

24 Jun 2022
BF already done well against CoD in the past it was just mismanaged to death recently, the IP is still very salvageable. Not to mention that they can bet on multiple games like Apex as well and use them to replace the marketing deal they had with Activision.

Exactly, and this is what makes a strategic partnership with companies like EA even better. They don't need to acquire them (I think it'd be a waste, personally), but investing into them for big 3P partnerships on Battlefield and Apex Legends, alongside other EA games (like FIFA/Football Club) as well as buying a big number of shares into them would do just as well, maybe even better.

And Sony can do that alongside bringing back a Killzone or Resistance; it doesn't have to be one or the other.

Reactions: kuzon and Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Exactly, and this is what makes a strategic partnership with companies like EA even better. They don't need to acquire them (I think it'd be a waste, personally), but investing into them for big 3P partnerships on Battlefield and Apex Legends, alongside other EA games (like FIFA/Football Club) as well as buying a big number of shares into them would do just as well, maybe even better.

And Sony can do that alongside bringing back a Killzone or Resistance; it doesn't have to be one or the other.
They don't even bother with a Killzone 2 remaster. Just having the servers back and have the game being playable on PS would be great, same goes for Resistance, Infamous and other games in a similar situation.

This is another example of Sony coasting on past success and taking the PlayStation audience for granted, they didn't bother with any of these ports from PS3 to PS4/PS5 but somehow they find the resources and manpower to port Sackboy, R&C, Returnal, etc for PC. It's such a slap in the face of PlayStation players that they are more concerned in pleasing Steam users and pirates over their own audience.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Do we know when Sony took over publishing? Sometimes its not at the start just like Stellar Blade
I am sorry to burst your bubble, but never of this 3rd Party exclusive deals were done by Jim Ryan. Especially not Asia/Japan. Jimbo only cares about Call of Duty, heavy Western games with mass appeal for wide audience, Live Service Games.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
I am sorry to burst your bubble, but never of this 3rd Party exclusive deals were done by Jim Ryan. Especially not Asia/Japan. Jimbo only cares about Call of Duty, heavy Western games with mass appeal for wide audience, Live Service Games.

Makes you wonder what Jim Ryan has actually done other than acquiring GaaS studios.

The GaaS plan is such a predictable thing for some out of touch business guy to come up with, as if a publisher could just decide to suddenly become huge in the GaaS space by creating games like Fairgame$, Concord, Horizon GaaS, etc.

Reactions: Eternal_Wings

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
no one gives af about jrpg games, that's not jim ryan's worst mistake. it's him letting tried and true playstation 3rd party games get swept up from under him twice in a row. it's so funny because I can totally see after this gen is over and PS6 starts, xbox will have the biggest franchises exclusive to their services. and playstation will be a dying box where you can get all their games on PC. Complete opposite of these last several generations

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
no one gives af about jrpg games, that's not jim ryan's worst mistake. it's him letting tried and true playstation 3rd party games get swept up from under him twice in a row. it's so funny because I can totally see after this gen is over and PS6 starts, xbox will have the biggest franchises exclusive to their services. and playstation will be a dying box where you can get all their games on PC. Complete opposite of these last several generations
What are you referring to? PlayStation had no say in Bethesda or ABK being acquired, those things happening are the least of Jim Ryan's mistakes.

The lack of answer is what is concerning, MS does all this to direct hurt PlayStation and yet Sony is still there announcing Marathon for Xbox, MLB day one on Gamepass, allowing MS games to associate people with Xbox Live inside the PlayStation ecosystem, more concerned with supporting PC than PlayStation, allowing former partners to get close to Xbox, etc.

Sony CEO not long ago was there talking about a deal with MS for cloud infrastructure while we now know XBox leadership was plotting on taking Sony out of business.

Last edited:

kuzon

23 Jun 2023
They don't even bother with a Killzone 2 remaster. Just having the servers back and have the game being playable on PS would be great, same goes for Resistance, Infamous and other games in a similar situation.

This is another example of Sony coasting on past success and taking the PlayStation audience for granted, they didn't bother with any of these ports from PS3 to PS4/PS5 but somehow they find the resources and manpower to port Sackboy, R&C, Returnal, etc for PC. It's such a slap in the face of PlayStation players that they are more concerned in pleasing Steam users and pirates over their own audience.
Yh I'd love to see KZ trilogy remaster and Resistance remaster they seem so lazy atm and also love to see Warhawk to come back which could be really big for them as MP/Gaas if they wanted to

• thisistheway
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Yes their games available to PC. And who do you think has set up the idea to port PlayStation games to PC? It was your idol Jim Ryan genius.
And I would refrain of calling it JRPG. It’s an offending term to Japanese developers.

Well I probably expect to much from a mainstream zombie. I would be so glad if you and all guys who only care about boring western games would leave PlayStation and jump ship for Xbox. There you can have all your beloved western bangers. You can take Knight along with you. PlayStation was so much better in PS2 era, hell they even sold 30 million consoles in Japan. I really envy Nintendo fanbase they support the Japanese games. Nintendo fans have a better taste than modern PS fans.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022

Is this the game people were saying it was vaporware just because the trailer was too good?

24 Jun 2022

It does feel like to a notable degree that Sony have been taking their enthusiast console audience for granted and I'll even say, most of their 3P partners. They probably assumed Sega/Atlus would just have no choice to prioritize PlayStation this gen given what happened last gen; instead you've got Sega publicly (indirectly) suggesting Sony don't value them as much as Microsoft does. How do you let that happen, how do you let an environment to cook long enough to where a big 3P publisher feels comfortable saying something like that out in the open?

I still say it's 50/50 if Sony are making the right long-term decisions for PlayStation in light of things we at least now know publicly regarding Microsoft's true intentions towards them. But, we'll know for sure within the next few weeks and months, definitely before the turn of Fall comes around. That will answer for me whether PlayStation is on the right path, or about to start a painful downward slide.

Is this the game people were saying it was vaporware just because the trailer was too good?

No, that's Phantom Blade Zero. And FWIW, while that was one of the obvious standouts from the May Showcase, the dev themselves only have experience in mobile game development.

So we'll have to see what's up with that game long-term. I'm still hoping something comes out of DokeV; if Sony were smart they would help co-fund and co-develop that.

Reactions: Eternal_Wings

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
People, did you notice, all fan service remakes and remaster disappeared from Playstation release windows after Jimbo and Hulst came?

These two are worst of the worst. Can't wait the day when they will be booted from Playstation.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Yes their games available to PC. And who do you think has set up the idea to port PlayStation games to PC? It was your idol Jim Ryan genius.
And I would refrain of calling it JRPG. It’s an offending term to Japanese developers.

Well I probably expect to much from a mainstream zombie. I would be so glad if you and all guys who only care about boring western games would leave PlayStation and jump ship for Xbox. There you can have all your beloved western bangers. You can take Knight along with you. PlayStation was so much better in PS2 era, hell they even sold 30 million consoles in Japan. I really envy Nintendo fanbase they support the Japanese games. Nintendo fans have a better taste than modern PS fans.
History of PlayStation PC ports and Xbox

Before Jim Ryan:

- Twisted Metal 2 (NA only)
- Jet Moto (NA only)
- Helldivers
- Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
- Guns Up!
- ReadySet Heroes

After Jim Ryan:
- Death Stranding
- Horizon Zero Dawn
- Days Gone
- MLB 2021 day one on Gamepass, $70 on PlayStation
- God of War
- Spider Man Remastered
- Spider Man: Miles Morales
- Sackboy
- Uncharted 4
- Uncharted Lost Legacy
- MLB 2022 day one on Gamepass, $70 on PlayStation
- Returnal
- The Last of Us Part I
- Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
- Helldivers II (day one on PC)
- Marathon (day one on PC, also on Xbox)
- Fairgames (day one on PC)
- Concord (day one on PC)
- MLB 2023 day one on Gamepass, $70 on PlayStation

All that while Bloodborne couldn't even get a patch on PlayStation.

Last edited: