Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Ludwig

9 Feb 2023
It does feel like to a notable degree that Sony have been taking their enthusiast console audience for granted and I'll even say, most of their 3P partners. They probably assumed Sega/Atlus would just have no choice to prioritize PlayStation this gen given what happened last gen; instead you've got Sega publicly (indirectly) suggesting Sony don't value them as much as Microsoft does. How do you let that happen, how do you let an environment to cook long enough to where a big 3P publisher feels comfortable saying something like that out in the open?

I still say it's 50/50 if Sony are making the right long-term decisions for PlayStation in light of things we at least now know publicly regarding Microsoft's true intentions towards them. But, we'll know for sure within the next few weeks and months, definitely before the turn of Fall comes around. That will answer for me whether PlayStation is on the right path, or about to start a painful downward slide.

No, that's Phantom Blade Zero. And FWIW, while that was one of the obvious standouts from the May Showcase, the dev themselves only have experience in mobile game development.

So we'll have to see what's up with that game long-term. I'm still hoping something comes out of DokeV; if Sony were smart they would help co-fund and co-develop that.If m
If MS continues to acquire publishers, even great games might not help. Like you said, I hope there is a plan B.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023

Trash "journalist", but I don't think he's lying about this in particular, considering the timing and circumstances working against Sony here.

Good, the sooner ABK games are out of PlayStation the better. I rather see Sony trying to come up with their own games then depend on games that MS will inevitably remove from PlayStation when it serves them.

If MS continues to acquire publishers, even great games might not help. Like you said, I hope there is a plan B.
Plan A - GaaS
Plan B - PC
Plan C - Mobile
Plan D - Cloud
Plan E - PS+
Plan FU - Selling PlayStation to MS on the cheap to invest in electric cars

Last edited:

Ludwig

9 Feb 2023
Good, the sooner ABK games are out of PlayStation the better. I rather see Sony trying to come up with their own games then dependent on games that MS will inevitable remove from PlayStation when it serves them.

Plan A - GaaS
Plan B - PC
Plan C - Mobile
Plan D - Cloud
Plan E - PS+
Plan FU - Selling PlayStation to MS on the cheap to invest in electric cars.
Knowing Jim and Hulust, one could actually believe this.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I disagree. Nintendo barely has big 3rd party games, and it does fine. The question is if Sony will put the foot down against the casualization of its games and stop having them all handhold you all the time.

Eggman

12 Apr 2023
I am sorry to burst your bubble, but never of this 3rd Party exclusive deals were done by Jim Ryan. Especially not Asia/Japan. Jimbo only cares about Call of Duty, heavy Western games with mass appeal for wide audience, Live Service Games.

Whats his source that Sony started it 7 years ago?

What about Stellar Blade? What about the Chinese games they are funding? What about the Japanese indie program they started? Games they helped fund like Kena? All the VR games? Returnal? Helldivers 2? And many others.

Thats a bunch of horse shit

Reactions: KickNamesTakeAss

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022

Trash "journalist", but I don't think he's lying about this in particular, considering the timing and circumstances working against Sony here.

Which is better?

Getting cod and other abk games upto 2027

Or

Getting cod up to 2033

Keep in mind cod launches every year and the other games are maybe once a gen.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022

What about Stellar Blade? What about the Chinese games they are funding? What about the Japanese indie program they started? Games they helped publish like Kena? All the VR games? Returnal? Helldivers 2? And money others.

Thats a bunch if horse shit
his source Team Ninja. or it is not good enough?

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022

What about Stellar Blade? What about the Chinese games they are funding? What about the Japanese indie program they started? Games they helped fund like Kena? All the VR games? Returnal? Helldivers 2? And many others.

Thats a bunch of horse shit
It’s bunch of horse shit to believe that Jim Ryan cares about Indie games or Japanese/Asian games. Wake up or you will have bad awakening. To your question the report of Genki is legit, Shuhei Yoshida talked about it in an interview. The source was literally inside the tweet: PlayStation blog.
All this China Hero Project/Korea are the effort of Shuhei Yoshida and Keiichiro Urata. Jim Ryan is a sore loser. He didn’t accomplish nothing. The most Anti-Gamer CEO ever.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gediminas

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
@Ass of Can Whooping this gif for your disdain of Jim Ryan has me in tears from laughing so hard:

w6y2Z8p.gif

24 Jun 2022
I disagree. Nintendo barely has big 3rd party games, and it does fine. The question is if Sony will put the foot down against the casualization of its games and stop having them all handhold you all the time.

Nintendo's games also cost magnitudes less to make than Sony's marquee 1P AAA, and require less time to be developed (on average). They also don't have to splurge as heavily on marketing & advertising (I've seen literally zero TOTK ads on TV for example), never drop their prices on games that much even after several years, and many of their marquee games don't have the transmedia strengths of Nintendo's (at least, not yet, and not in as evergreen of ways).

In that respect what works very well for Nintendo won't work so well for Sony. They still need 3P more than Nintendo does.

Everything about this is so messed up.

CMA better continue to stand firm. Fuck MS.

I agree they should, but they very likely won't. What'll be super messed up is if the CMA then get the power they wanted, and use that to block Sony trying to acquire a much smaller publisher than ABK because "muh market share" (which Sony earned through superior fair competitive practices in the gaming market itself, FWIW).

Which is better?

Getting cod and other abk games upto 2027

Or

Getting cod up to 2033

Keep in mind cod launches every year and the other games are maybe once a gen.

Here's my thing: Sony could have leveraged the older deal into a renegotiated deal with ABK following the CMA block, when they had the most power to leverage in the process. Instead they chose to completely cut ABK off and then FTC comes out in June to squander seemingly everything, with the CMA suddenly open to "new negotiations" right after the FTC's appeals get rejected by both the judge & 9th circuit court.

Late March/Early April was the best time for Sony to negotiate an extended COD contract with ABK, and potentially other ABK games on top of that, for at least another four years. Yes 4-5 years is less than 10, but it'd of given them time to cockblock Microsoft enough until the end of this gen, while shoring up to make due without that content at the start of the 10th gen (assuming that's 2028).

Instead Sony now potentially lose out on all new non-COD ABK games for the next 10 years.

Good, the sooner ABK games are out of PlayStation the better. I rather see Sony trying to come up with their own games then dependent on games that MS will inevitable remove from PlayStation when it serves them.

Not just their own games but also other competitive 3P live-service/GaaS titles (while securing shares in those companies & making key strategic investments in them for general growth and key content expansion).

Last edited:

kuzon

23 Jun 2023
Nintendo's games also cost magnitudes less to make than Sony's marquee 1P AAA, and require less time to be developed (on average). They also don't have to splurge as heavily on marketing & advertising (I've seen literally zero TOTK ads on TV for example), never drop their prices on games that much even after several years, and many of their marquee games don't have the transmedia strengths of Nintendo's (at least, not yet, and not in as evergreen of ways).

In that respect what works very well for Nintendo won't work so well for Sony. They still need 3P more than Nintendo does.
I think Microsoft will continue to release abk games on switch as again they’re not direct competition whereas PlayStation…

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
Lol exactly. Folks get too emotional and are all over the place. No offense to anyone but just calm down.

And what makes it worse is, people keep posting xbox fanboy tweets.

Like what are some of you people trying acheive by posting those tweets?

Even when some of us complain about people posting those, people still continue doing it. Holy shit people just stop posting that shit.
I'll post what I want tah