Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
I think its better if people don't try to predict if an acquisition gets blocked or not from now on because a lot of people look stupid now. People went from "Its not going to pass, deal is dead" too "CMA will still block it" too now what we all see unfold. Some lessons we gotta to learn is too:
1. Never underestimate MS
2. Don't bother to predict how an acquisition on a big scale is going to go down

I have absolutely no clue why people still had faith in the CMA after last week.

• haha
Reactions: NeonFace

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Damm, Sony should go straight to EA to start making deals or an acquisition bid as well.
Sony is "only" 3 times more valuable than EA at this point. Factor in paying a premium and thats them betting their future on it. And much like with Activision the biggest games (FIFA, Madden, other sports) would still be multiplat anyway.

24 Jun 2022
Just another example how these corporations can own who ever they want. Sony can not win an acquisition war with MS, so Jim Ryan's best bet is praying that MS stops at activision.

Theoretically true, but there are limits even for Microsoft. I genuinely believe there are certain publishers who, straight up, do not like Microsoft as a platform holder and would not trust their IP, tech and other assets in Microsoft's ownership.

Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case with most Western companies.

MS will likely just show up and outbid Sony and say they did it because Sony was going to buy them. That's why Sony need to got after Japanese companies, if MS can't do anything with them but destroy them.

Sony should call MS bluff and start expanding as well, but Sony right now just looks afraid. Actually forcing MS to buy even more companies like EA or Take-Two would benefit Sony since Xbox can support all that, the platform and Gamepass can't even support all the studios they already have.

This is like a poker game where Sony has the best possible hand but they are afraid to go all in because MS has way more chips.

That's an interesting and pretty accurate analogy for the situation.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Again PlayStation is Sony’s most profitable division. Why the hell do you want them to discard of it?
I swear nothing more annoying than this dumb console wars bs. It makes absolute zero sense to even consider to sell SIE. Get this idea out your heads. It’s nothing but Fanboy bs. I am out not in the mood doing circles.
Why does it matter who owns PlayStation? I just want PlayStation to continue to do well and if Sony is not going to support it fuck them, all they care is for the profits coming from PlayStation and for the promise of expanding to new markets.

Buy Capcom, buy Square, buy From Software, say fuck you to ABK/MS/Bethesda, time to bet it all on PlayStation the only culturally relevant product Sony makes at this point. PlayStation is facing an existential threat yet it just business as usual from Sony and they are more concerned with their movies/music/anime divisions.

If they can't look at the Mario movie, at the Switch, at the PS5 and realize the value of having a platform that sells 120m+ consoles, a 50m+ subscription services, multiple games selling 10m+ or even 20m+ copies, then they are beyond saving.

Moobile, PC ports, longshot GaaS, e-sports, licensed Marvel games, none of that shit is going to cut it for them when having to face Xbox + Bethesda + Activision + Blizzard + more, all backed up by a $2.5T company that wants to outspend Sony out of business. On the other hand, there is nothing MS could do to face something like PlayStation + Capcom + SE + some other western publisher.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ludwig and Puff

kuzon

23 Jun 2023
Do you guys think the Judge will be satisfied with the CMAs factors/why a adjournment is needed or just not grant it

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Theoretically true, but there are limits even for Microsoft. I genuinely believe there are certain publishers who, straight up, do not like Microsoft as a platform holder and would not trust their IP, tech and other assets in Microsoft's ownership.

Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case with most Western companies.

The only limits for a company worth trillions of dollars is a tough on business regulatory body, and it seems like no country has that. If an acquisition as large as Acti can get through, then literally anything can. EA is also chummy with microsoft, so they are not off limits. And truth be told Western publishers are the only ones that matter as the Japanese console market is owned by nintendo only.

reziel

Banned
12 Jun 2023
Do you guys think the Judge will be satisfied with the CMAs factors/why a adjournment is needed or just not grant it
He's definitely not satisfied but he's more then likely going to grant it since the ones who started this whole case came to an agreement and both want it dropped. I would be surprised if he doesn't.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
How can you grant something without seeing evidence?
Pay Day Money GIF

i can volunteer GIF by Shameless

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Why does it matter who own PlayStation? I just want PlayStation to continue to do well and if Sony is not going to support it fuck them, all they care is for the profits coming from PlayStation.
Yes I do care. I don’t want to see PlayStation in foreign hands. PlayStation is already westernised enough. It’s a Japanese brand and it the legacy should stay there. What makes you so sure that Apple, Amazon or Google would not screw the hard work Sony put in to built up PlayStation!?
You’re all so sensitive, all of you can do is repeating the same doom & gloom preaching.
I am tired if this bs.
Sony won’t die and they will make big moves. Sony was in a far more worse condition than today.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly