Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Sony's biggest weakness is in its operations. It's outdated. They have a huge convergence of media and tech in movies, TV, music, games, animation. TVs, semiconductors, screens, VR, consoles, cameras, software development

Sonys expertise in so many fronts should have them as a far bigger player. But they can't get out of their own way to make all these bits work together

Like why isn't there a Sony Plus sub with games, movies, music, anime streaming in one? Built into all their consoles, phones, TVs.

Whether it would work is one thing but the fact they havent even attempted shows issues with how disconnected they are

MS feared Sony would be a juggernaut if Sony ever aligned a vision between its business units to take over the living room. But Sony never did
If Sony operations is outdated then Nintendo must be ancient.

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
It won't. In a few years AI will be absolutely everywhere and Microsoft will be a 5-6 trillion company because of it. Every job and workplace worldwide will use Copilot and Azure. That's why the stock went up 140b today and they didn't even start yet.
We heard the same shit about cloud computing 15-20 years ago

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Where do you live? Cloud computing and cloud services did in fact dominated pretty much everything and are the bulk of what is making money for Amazon, MS and Google.
Cloud services yes, but the hiring cloud computer was really hyped up back then.

I think AI would ended up be in industrial complex rather than days to days lives.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
It doesn’t matter if Music or Pictures is in North America or India. Just stop this nonsense, neither Apple or Google will buy Sony (even if they would love to do so). Sony’s parent company is Japanese and as stated the government protects Sony. This console wars is all riling you up. Sony is not going anywhere. They will make one or two major acquisitions at least when Activision Blizzard is completed. Sony is not broke, they just have $10B long-term debts which is pretty good for a $100B+ company.

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
This is how the hearing with the cat went yesterday.
the dude in orange is the cma’s original order, the 2 lawyers are ms and cma lawyers😂😂

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Cloud services yes, but the hiring cloud computer was really hyped up back then.

I think AI would ended up be in industrial complex rather than days to days lives.
AI is ridiculously disruptive and it couldn't be more obvious. It is evolving at a scary pace unlike anything before it at this scale. It's the ultimate technology leap.

AI will steal your job, educate your kids, drive your car, control every aspect of your life and I'm sorry to be the one who says it, but it will also bang your wife.

maywa denki robot GIF

Last edited:
  • fire
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Sony have two big semiconductor fab for image sensors and another upcoming joint fab with TSMC. They are basically under protected from government due to national security, like Samsung and TSMC.

Beside any there is a protected group of firms that cannot be acquired include all big game publishers. Sony is Tier 3 and Nintendo/others are Tier 1 I think
hard not to be protected when Sony is owned by Japanese banks :) it is impossible to own them.

• brain
Reactions: Arminius

reziel

Banned
12 Jun 2023
I thought the deadline for this deal was today. How come they haven't closed it yet?
ABK and MS are still in negotiations to extend the deadline. As of right now nobody knows when that decision will be made. Rumor is that ABK is looking at other offers to see of they want to continue with MS or walk away.

• Informative
Reactions: Firefly

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
The uncertainty right now is with the CAT judge, he could very well nuke the adjournment if he doesn't see sufficient reason for it.

Personally I don't see it happening, but maybe any extension would have to take into account what the CAT judge decides? And they are waiting for that?

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
The uncertainty right now is with the CAT judge, he could very well nuke the adjournment if he doesn't see sufficient reason for it.

Personally I don't see it happening, but maybe any extension would have to take into account what the CAT judge decides? And they are waiting for that?
The thing is, if the CMA is set on approving this then it's over no? It will end up in their hand again anyway right?

The only way I could see this not working is if it's going to take too long and ABK think they'll be more valuable then than what MS is willing to pay but MS will probably be up to paying even more at this point.

• brain
Reactions: Arminius