Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Ludwig

9 Feb 2023
If Sony a US corporation it would worth somewhere 400B.

The US stock market usually inflates corporation value a lot, AMD for example.
Nvidia as well and it is also less profitable than Sony. But analysts says they could bring in 300 billion dollar in revenue in 10 years.
I don't see it happening personally.

Last edited:

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Nvidia as well and it is also less profitable than Sony. But analysts they could bring in 300 billion dollar in revenue in 10 years.
I don't see it happening personally.
I hope that AI shit they hyping up gonna be the next bubble that crash the whole market to another recession. Those idiots deserves
it.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023

I think it's a miracle Apple didn't buy Sony yet, if Steve Jobs was around he would probably have pulled that move since he admired Sony and they are so devalued despite all the very strong and renowned products they have.

Just look at how much money MS is willing to spend in hopes of replacing Sony in the console space and how long they have been trying it.

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
I think it's a miracle Apple didn't buy Sony yet, if Steve Jobs was around he would probably have pulled that move since he admired Sony and they are so devalued despite all the very strong and renowned products they have.
They can't. That would be a top national security issue.

Reactions: Eternal_Wings

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
They can't. That would be a top national security issue.
Just as impossible as people used to think MS buying Bethesda and ABK back to back was. If both companies were up for it they would figure out a way for it to happen.

MS wasn't able to buy Nintendo in the past because Nintendo didn't want it to happen, but since Sony main business is now being threatened by MS I could easily see Sony being up for it. They both complement each other perfectly.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Just as impossible as people used to think MS buying Bethesda and ABK back to back was. If both companies were up for it they would figure out a way for it to happen.

MS wasn't able to buy Nintendo in the past because Nintendo didn't want it to happen, but since Sony main business is now being threatened by MS I could easily see Sony being up for it. They both complement each other perfectly.

Things were different back then.

Very hard for a foreign company to wholly own a Japanese company on the protected list.

Minority stakes are not an issue.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022

No. Sony is a company which is in a tier-list of protected companies. Sony is shielded by the Japanese government. Second richest company in Japan after Toyota. Japan would never allow it.

Bethesda and Activision have zero in common with Sony. Sony is a Japanese Corporation not American. Western companies are known for being more open-minded for mergers/buyouts. But as many said in Japan are very strict laws for especially foreigners. This is not a fantasy it’s true, Japan has very strict rules.

Reactions: Muddasar

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023

Sony have two big semiconductor fab for image sensors and another upcoming joint fab with TSMC. They are basically under protected from government due to national security, like Samsung and TSMC.

Beside any there is a protected group of firms that cannot be acquired include all big game publishers. Sony is Tier 3 and Nintendo/others are Tier 1 I think

Arminius

19 May 2023
No. Sony is a company which is in a tier-list of protected companies. Sony is shielded by the Japanese government. Second richest company in Japan after Toyota. Japan ist would never allow it.

Bethesda and Activision have zero in common with Sony. Sony is Japanese Corporation not American. Western company are known for being more open-minded for mergers/buyouts. But as many said in Japan are very strict laws for especially foreigners. This is not a fantasy it’s true, Japan has very strict rules.
Are most Japanese third party publishers protected as well?

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022

Sony's biggest weakness is in its operations. It's outdated. They have a huge convergence of media and tech in movies, TV, music, games, animation. TVs, semiconductors, screens, VR, consoles, cameras, software development

Sonys expertise in so many fronts should have them as a far bigger player. But they can't get out of their own way to make all these bits work together

Like why isn't there a Sony Plus sub with games, movies, music, anime streaming in one? Built into all their consoles, phones, TVs.

Whether it would work is one thing but the fact they havent even attempted shows issues with how disconnected they are

MS feared Sony would be a juggernaut if Sony ever aligned a vision between its business units to take over the living room. But Sony never did

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Sony have two big semiconductor fab for image sensors and another upcoming joint fab with TSMC. They are basically under protected from government due to national security, like Samsung and TSMC.

Beside any there is a protected group of firms that cannot be acquired include all big game publishers. Sony is Tier 3 and Nintendo/others are Tier 1 I think
They could focus on the subsidiraries that would make the most sense for them (PlayStation/SIE, Sony Pictures and Sony Music). All three pretty much already operate as if they were american companies, with their headquarters in the US and with non Japanese people in charge.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Are mostJapanese third party publishers protected as well?
It depends on which sectors their other businesses do operate .
There a certain tier-lists which rank a Japanese company of being important for the economy/ vulnerable for national security. Also some franchises are being listed as Japanese culture legacy (don’t remember the exact name but Genki reported once about it.) Kadokawa‘s main business is school books so they under protection for example. Also in Japan every purchase bigger than 1% the board and the Japanese government needs to be notified.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
They could focus on the subsidiraries that would make the most sense for them (PlayStation, Sony Picture and Sony Music). All three pretty much already operate as if they were american companies, with their headquarters in the US and with non Japanese people in charge.
Sony Music HQ is in Japan. Pictures and SIE in America. But also what does it matter?

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Sony Music HQ is in Japan. Pictures and SIE in America. But also what does it matter?
Both Sony Music Publishing and Sony Music have their headquarter in NY.

'Sony Entertainment, Inc. is the umbrella entertainment division of Japanese multinational conglomerate Sony and managed by its American subsidiary, established in 2012 to oversee the corporation's ventures in film, television and music.'

Sony Corporation of America: manages the company's US-based businesses. Sony's principal
U.S. businesses include Sony Electronics, Sony Pictures Entertainment, Sony Interactive Entertainment and the Sony Music Group (divided in the Sony Music Entertainment and Sony Music Publishing).

Last edited:

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I hope that AI shit they hyping up gonna be the next bubble that crash the whole market to another recession. Those idiots deserves
it.
It won't. In a few years AI will be absolutely everywhere and Microsoft will be a 5-6 trillion company because of it. Every job and workplace worldwide will use Copilot and Azure. That's why the stock went up 140b today and they didn't even start yet.