Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
Anyone see the hedgehog posts today on Microsofts Edge Twitter account?

I hope this isn't Sega lined up to be bought.
How can they justify buying publishers when their hardware will never sell?

24 Jun 2022

If it is, I don't care. Sega's the only Japanese publisher MS have any shot in acquiring. They're also the only other publisher who was at one point a platform holder who has made arguably even worst business decisions than Microsoft in the gaming market.

By that rationale, they're a perfect fit. Dumb & Dumber, failing upwards together. Personally for me modern Sega isn't even the classic area responsible for the amazing arcade hits of the '80s and '90s, or the creative hits during the MegaDrive and Saturn (and Dreamcast) eras. That Sega hasn't been around for a good while now.

Getting one of the guys from the Dreamcast era back at the company may be a nice start. Them being acquired by Microsoft would likely end up negating any interesting growth in that same area immediately, however.

BlueLyria

Icon Extra
29 Apr 2023
If it is, I don't care. Sega's the only Japanese publisher MS have any shot in acquiring. They're also the only other publisher who was at one point a platform holder who has made arguably even worst business decisions than Microsoft in the gaming market.

By that rationale, they're a perfect fit. Dumb & Dumber, failing upwards together. Personally for me modern Sega isn't even the classic area responsible for the amazing arcade hits of the '80s and '90s, or the creative hits during the MegaDrive and Saturn (and Dreamcast) eras. That Sega hasn't been around for a good while now.

Getting one of the guys from the Dreamcast era back at the company may be a nice start. Them being acquired by Microsoft would likely end up negating any interesting growth in that same area immediately, however.
Sega's responsible for some of my favorite games, ever. So them not being third party anymore would be extremely upsetting for me.

But also, If Sega was bought, they could very well kiss any and all profits from the asian market goodbye. But then again, I don't see MS buying Sega because of all the other things Sega has besides gaming

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022

Not too long ago, there was another MS tweet that teased Sega. I don't know if that was before or after Sega publicly stated they have no interest in being acquired.

Reactions: Jim Ryan

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
Sega's responsible for some of my favorite games, ever. So them not being third party anymore would be extremely upsetting for me.

But also, If Sega was bought, they could very well kiss any and all profits from the asian market goodbye. But then again, I don't see MS buying Sega because of all the other things Sega has besides gaming

For me, it's Atlus. Although they've never been good for releasing their games on all systems, I've loved all the ones I've played. It would be pretty sad to see their games only available through MS.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
For me, it's Atlus. Although they've never been good for releasing their games on all systems, I've loved all the ones I've played. It would be pretty sad to see their games only available through MS.
Atlus games doesn't sell that well honestly

Sony is looking for alternative for Japan Studio, XDEV is not enough

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Guys, Sega will be gone in the next few months or 1 year max. Make peace with it now. Yes it's sad that Atlus and all their franchises will be dead but if the owners don't care what can we do?

Sega wants do die in MS arms. Let them.

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
I don't think they are teasing acquisition like teasing games.

Probably partnership, Jet Set Radio and new Sonic game?

That's what I was thinking too. Especially in light of all the games that have been put on Game Pass recently. A partnership or investment of some kind.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
That's what I was thinking too. Especially in light of all the games that have been put on Game Pass recently. A partnership or investment of some kind.
Sega did announce that they were working on some kind of game with MS using Azure a while back that hasn't been announced yet.

Reactions: laynelane

Crow

Banned
15 Jul 2023
FF7RR, Grand Blue Fantasy Relink, Rise of the Ronin, MLB24 coming early next year. so we gonna eat just fine. thanks for concern trolling.
Im talking about their 1st party games. None of those games listed are made by playstation except MLB.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Im talking about their 1st party games. None of those games listed are made by playstation except MLB.
Final Fantasy and Rise of Ronin could already be counted as Sony 1st party at this point.

Do the other team has created anything decent that is not bought yet?