Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

PriorPancake

4 Aug 2023
The CMA is expected to give their opinion on Monday according to Seeking Alpha :

Traders will also be watching Activision Blizzard and Microsoft, with the UK's Competition and Markets Authority due to offer an opinion on if a divestiture will be required for deal approval.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
The CMA is expected to give their opinion on Monday according to Seeking Alpha :

Traders will also be watching Activision Blizzard and Microsoft, with the UK's Competition and Markets Authority due to offer an opinion on if a divestiture will be required for deal approval.
They're going to say it's all good.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
EDIT: Spelling

CMA sold out. My issue isn't that they approved, it's that they bent over backwards to get this through before MS' deadline, sacrificing due process. A regulator shouldn't care about deadlines set by parties they're investigating. Take your time, follow procedure and then decide.

But nope, they sold out.

Last edited:

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Not really following this stuff as its pretty much done.

But i find this new update hilarous. They are offering an opinion on if a divestiture is required?

They bent over backwards last month because of this new divestiture offer that MS was going to give them, and told the CAT judge they could come to an agreement on that.

But now it's become a question of if it's needed?

Can't wait to see how CMA trip over themselves, that's the only last bit of entertainment left in this saga.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
CMA's opinion: "It's all good. We'd like to also take this opportunity to commend MS for how cooperative and generous they were during this process, this acquisition is going to be very beneficial to the game marketing and is essential to ensure competitiveness in the cloud gaming segment."

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Not really following this stuff as its pretty much done.

But i find this new update hilarous. They are offering an opinion on if a divestiture is required?

They bent over backwards last month because of this new divestiture offer that MS was going to give them, and told the CAT judge they could come to an agreement on that.

But now it's become a question of if it's needed?

Can't wait to see how CMA trip over themselves, that's the only last bit of entertainment left in this saga.
This is part of the procedure, they have to decide that a small one is needed or the merge will happen without a UK GP divestiture.

Ezekiel

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I don't get the FTC hate. They did exactly what that agency is supposed to do to stop anti-competitive mergers.

From my understanding, they are still appealing the judges decision, and they still have the option of doing their administrative court case?

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
I don't get the FTC hate. They did exactly what that agency is supposed to do to stop anti-competitive mergers.

From my understanding, they are still appealing the judges decision, and they still have the option of doing their administrative court case?
nope they abandoned the administrative court case and appeal shortly after the failed injunction. it's really the FTC's unforced error that set this all in motion as things were looking grim for MS before hand.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
nope they abandoned the administrative court case and appeal shortly after the failed injunction. it's really the FTC's unforced error that set this all in motion as things were looking grim for MS before hand.
Wait, really? I never heard that. And I don't think anyone else did either.

Reactions: Ezekiel

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
The FTC didn't cause the CMA to capitulate. That was done in parallel. The FTC likely caught wind of the CMA being corrupted which is why they filed their injunction earlier than necessary. FTC is the only sensible party here. No one could've predicted they would've gotten a corrupt judge whose son worked for the company the injunction was filed against.

Reactions: Edmund

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
The FTC didn't cause the CMA to capitulate. That was done in parallel. The FTC likely caught wind of the CMA being corrupted which is why they filed their injunction earlier than necessary. FTC is the only sensible party here. No one could've predicted they would've gotten a corrupt judge whose son worked for the company the injunction was filed against.
nope, the facts of the timeline are out there so no need to debate. MS was losing everything with CMA committed to holding strong. FTC sued out of nowhere when it wasn't needed, lost the case and everything came tumbling down. Then looked even dumber by withdrawing their appeal and court cases all for MS to not have any new deal planned and basically get what they wanted without concessions.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
nope, the facts of the timeline are out there so no need to debate. MS was losing everything with CMA committed to holding strong. FTC sued out of nowhere when it wasn't needed, lost the case and everything came tumbling down. Then looked even dumber by withdrawing their appeal and court cases all for MS to not have any new deal planned and basically get what they wanted without concessions.
That doesn't make sense. When we next saw the CMA, they had folded, but insisted it wasn't because of the FTC, with the CAT judge calling the events in the states unfortunately timed. The CMA wasn't flipped by another jurisdiction, they were flipped behind the scenes.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Edmund and Nhomnhom