Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Jim looks very in-tune with the industry in these leaks. Just wish he'd fucking stop hiding the ball with first party projects.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Umar
OP
OP
Darth Vader

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
So what’s currently going on because I thought they dropped the case a couple months ago when they lost the injunction.

They dropped the Injunction, but they still want to block the deal. The injunction was just to try and prevent MS from closing without the FTCs approval.

As it stands, they can close, the FTC can rule against, and the courts will determine if the deal needs to be reversed or not.

Crow

Banned
15 Jul 2023
They dropped the Injunction, but they still want to block the deal. The injunction was just to try and prevent MS from closing without the FTCs approval.

As it stands, they can close, the FTC can rule against, and the courts will determine if the deal needs to be reversed or not.
FTC is done. The UK is the only hold up. If UK clears the merger the deal will close and the ftc will be done. FTC will not pursue a case if everywhere else in the world gave the clear. FTC chance at stopping the deal died when they lost the injunction.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022

Do you have a link to a story about any of this because last I saw the FTC gave up after they didn’t get the injunction.

OP
OP
Darth Vader

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
FTC is done. The UK is the only hold up. If UK clears the merger the deal will close and the ftc will be done. FTC will not pursue a case if everywhere else in the world gave the clear. FTC chance at stopping the deal died when they lost the injunction.

That's not what I said. Now go, let the adults talk.

Do you have a link to a story about any of this because last I saw the FTC gave up after they didn’t get the injunction.

Here's a summary

The FTC is still investigating and can (and will) still rule on approving or denying the deal. They are very innocuous though.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
My guy, FTC is irrelevant. It's all on the UK.
The UK already unofficially accepted the Ubisoft deal. "At least" the FTC looks like its still going to put its case out there as a sacrificial lamb before the courts this fall.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Seems the CMA got played by following into "cloud concerns" and not listening to Sony's console argument. Microsoft ended investments into the sector, it was always about foreclosing on Sony on subscription and console. ala Starfield

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
UK business minister Kemi Badenoch has defended the Competition and Market Authority's decision to block the Microsoft-Activision deal.

As reported by Reuters, the UK government's Secretary of State for Business and Trade was questioned about Microsoft president Brad Smith's comment that the CMA block was "bad for Britain" and that the CMA has a "flawed understanding" of cloud streaming services.

"We were not an outlier if you talk about the size of the market," Badenoch said. "At some point, we have to decide are we making [decisions] in a way that's right for us or just trying to do what everybody else is going? So no, I don't agree with his comment.

"If the CMA is doing something wrong, I think that will become evident through a pattern which is not yet the case."

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Damn so the saga continues.
If this whole thing still should get blocked then I think it’s over for Microsoft‘s gaming division.
UK and FTC being against the deal will be the coffin nail for this charade.
Microsoft would probably exit gaming even before 2027. Would be literally the best thing that could possibly happen to gaming. Screw this scumbag company!

reziel

Banned
12 Jun 2023
Wonder if they are laying the groundwork for a second block?
I mean, I wouldn't be surprised. Xbox has already confirmed with these leaks that their whole charade of being for Duh Gamers is all smoke and mirrors.