Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
I've been mostly desensitized from this for a while. Once the CMA backtracked I knew this would be a slam dunk, and one more time we have proof that companies this big need to be broken down. Unfortunately, since the 70s we've seen massive deregulation that tilted the market towards big corpo, and when a corporation is valued at as much as a large country, shit like this will happen.

The consequences of this will be even more IP and value loss, and lots of people losing jobs to redundancy.

For comparison sake, if we list all countries by nominal GDP and insert companies like Microsoft, Amazon, and Apple, the picture is terrifying. The below is rounded to the nearest decimal, and in trillions of USD. For comparison, Sony would sit in 69th place when ranked against countries (if we ignore that I added these three below), and the acquisition price would sit at around 85th position.

United States26.9
China17.7
Germany4.4
Japan4.2
India3.7
United Kingdom3.3
France3
Apple2.8
Microsoft2.5
Italy2.2
Brazil2.1
Canada2.1
Russia1.9
Mexico1.8
South Korea1.7
Australia1.7
Spain1.6
Indonesia1.4
Amazon1.4
Turkey1.2

I'm not sure what people expect the future to be, but it doesn't seem great.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
I've been mostly desensitized from this for a while. Once the CMA backtracked I knew this would be a slam dunk, and one more time we have proof that companies this big need to be broken down. Unfortunately, since the 70s we've seen massive deregulation that tilted the market towards big corpo, and when a corporation is valued at as much as a large country, shit like this will happen.

The consequences of this will be even more IP and value loss, and lots of people losing jobs to redundancy.

For comparison sake, if we list all countries by nominal GDP and insert companies like Microsoft, Amazon, and Apple, the picture is terrifying. The below is rounded to the nearest decimal, and in trillions of USD. For comparison, Sony would sit in 69th place when ranked against countries (if we ignore that I added these three below), and the acquisition price would sit at around 85th position.

The corrupt idiot regulators and judges took non of this into account. They didn’t even care for the console market.

That one Judge…..Cunt Corley. Didn’t even know what a PS5, Switch and Xbox were. She needed all the boxes on her desk to know what the lawyers were talking about when mentioning them.

These kinds of people, with zero understanding of the games industry and the context of a trillion dollar corporation compared to a billion dollar corporation, decided the fate of one of the largest publishers in gaming.

Fucking comical.

Ludwig

9 Feb 2023
The corrupt idiot regulators and judges took non of this into account. They didn’t even care for the console market.

That one Judge…..Cunt Corley. Didn’t even know what a PS5, Switch and Xbox were. She needed all the boxes on her desk to know what the lawyers were talking about when mentioning them.

These kinds of people, with zero understanding of the games industry and the context of a trillion dollar corporation compared to a billion dollar corporation, decided the fate of one of the largest publishers in gaming.

Fucking comical.
Relax. What done is done.

Abdizur

Banned
5 Aug 2023
Being their target doesn’t mean they will get what they wish for. This fantasy wish list of Microsoft is a pure joke. But yeah you Xbox fans are saying since Original Xbox launched that MS will buy Sega. Maybe in another 20 years. 💀
Money rules the world. Microsoft has fuck you money. That's the sad reality. And Phil Spencer already said multiple times that they aren't done with acquisition and that they are going to do something in Japan.
It was always Sega (and Atlus) for them. So just get ready for it. I see it happen next year or in 2025.
The money they need to buy Sega is pocket change for Microsoft.
Meanwhile, Jimbo is out and looks like Sony is planning to change their strategy, reduce investing money on Gaas games etc.
Crazy times is coming😄
Not at all what is happening.

Last edited:

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
Relax. What done is done.

I am relaxed actually. This has gone on for so long the initial shock to the market has long worn off already. All this has done is exposed both Activision and MS for the anti consumer, anti worker, corrupt business's that they are.

GrayWolf323

6 Sep 2023

honestly people always seem to talk about how we’re heading towards a Cyberpunk like future but if anything I think a Jennifer Government like one is more likely (with Idiocracy mixed in as well)

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Money rules the world. Microsoft has fuck you money. That's the sad reality. And Phil Spencer already said multiple times that they aren't done with acquisition and that they are going to do something in Japan.
It was always Sega (and Atlus) for them. So just get ready for it. I see it happen next year or in 2025.

Then keep sticking to that deluded wish.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Ginzeen and other troll accounts are coming back from the dead to celebrate a fake victory like Bethesda, Starfield, Redfall, Forza and everything else that didn't matter at all.

This purchase is so useless we don't even care at this point.

Happy Married At First Sight GIF by Lifetime
I care more for the future outcomes, kinda thing?

When last place can buy largest independent multiplatform publisher, be shown to have a foreclosing strategy and still gets the deal done in the end, that's jacked.

Who knows whom comes along now, or becomes more emboldened, having seen MS "get away with it" and setting precedent? How can they say no to others, when this went through?

Reactions: Cool hand luke

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023

Fucking comical.

Maybe thats because most people her age wouldn’t have known anything about games to begin with. I mean you watch the stream majority of people in the government on both sides of the political clown show were annoyed with the ftc leader. Maybe it’s deal shouldn’t have gone through but to Be perfectly honest here if cod is all they wanted to buy then let them take it lmao. Who buys a PlayStation for cod anyways :LOL:. I’ve yet to see a good game in that series. I care More about all the other stuff they took thats actually a video game.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
It is ironic in hindsight how little Bethesda made a difference. Redfall is a laughing stock and starfield is a dud. Idk what zenimax has besides doom but I guess we’ll have to see what comes of that.

Meanwhile virtually all of MS other games are in development hell or have already come out and made themselves irrelevant. Halo is dead. Forza is now on the downward trajectory. Gears is on the downward trajectory. Fable and perfect dark are years away if they even come out at all.

70 billion dollars, 2 years, all company secrets spilled later, they have 10 year multiplatform contracts for the only game that matters. Blizzard is a mess bleeding talent and diblo 4s player count lost 90 percent of its players.

Gamepass is stalled out, they’re not even putting new abk games on it until 2024. Outsold 4:1 in the only territories the brand is even relevant by the ps5 before any of its big games or bundles arrived. What I’m trying to say is Xbox is basically dead as a platform it just parasites off already established brands, takes whatever it can from that one discards it and move on to the next.

OP
OP
Darth Vader

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
honestly people always seem to talk about how we’re heading towards a Cyberpunk like future but if anything I think a Jennifer Government like one is more likely (with Idiocracy mixed in as well)

Damn, I read the synopsis and I think you may be right.

• Shake
Reactions: GrayWolf323

reziel

Veteran
12 Jun 2023
That's not my "wish". Pretty much just a prediction.
Stop acting like if someone says something you don't like he/she is automatically an Xbox or Nintendo fanboy. This behavior is getting weird. The "if you say something that isn't good for Sony, you're the enemy" mentality is ridiculous.
You're doing the exact thing you're telling him not to do. Practice what you preach.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Who would of thought the ban would end right on time for closing! Crazy timing! It's just destiny man. Pure fate. Looks like i was right this whole time! Aint that right @Cool hand luke

"CoMiTy HAs No BeArinG!" "CMA will never back down." "Deal is dead, even though 1 regulator blocked it!" Vindication is sooo sweet. I love it.
Not that it matters since you're banned but MS re-negotiated the necessary closing date so it would come after the CMA's revised agreement- which had a deadline of this week. So in the sense that I scheduled my vacation to occur after Christmas, yes I will "luck into" having some January time off.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
Not that it matters since you're banned but MS re-negotiated the necessary closing date so it would come after the CMA's revised agreement- which had a deadline of this week. So in the sense that I scheduled my vacation to occur after Christmas, yes I will "luck into" having some January time off.
Banned again 😂🤣🤣

16 Jul 2023

Man doesn't realize that companies can refuse to be bought out.