Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
We don’t need to have a semantical argument over what is and isn’t a PlayStation fan. You guys are setting the bar at the most rabid of individuals. I’m looking at the overall benefit of giving their latest product to influential people who don’t necessarily have a critical history discussing it. It’s for the same goal as Microsoft. They’re betting it’s reviewed highly and often time are correct.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Not giving people free stuff also means you’re not corrupting their opinion.
question asks GIF

People will still claim Sony is a geezer. Nintendo also doesn’t do it often.

Fenton

Veteran
22 Feb 2023
We don’t need to have a semantical argument over what is and isn’t a PlayStation fan. You guys are setting the bar at the most rabid of individuals. I’m looking at the overall benefit of giving their latest product to influential people who don’t necessarily have a critical history discussing it. It’s for the same goal as Microsoft. They’re betting it’s reviewed highly and often time are correct.
Even regarding PS5 reviews many reviewers pointed out the flaws in the console which they got for free.

Overall PS5 was indeed a good console with noticeable improvements over PS4. So they can't lie and give a negative review.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Even regarding PS5 reviews many reviewers pointed out the flaws in the console which they got for free.

Overall PS5 was indeed a good console with noticeable improvements over PS4. So they can't lie and give a negative review.
Looks at those cons, going out of their way to find something negative to say.

If the PS5 was light on exclusive what about the Series lmao?

I don't even know what Dolby Vision and Atmos are or why I should care.

24 Jun 2022
I think the ABK acquisition needs to really be looked into perhaps even beyond what the FTC are currently grilling MS on, because another component at play here are game technologies for engines, frameworks and middleware that Microsoft could potentially be looking to own even more of, to control and leverage distribution and ownership of those technologies among game devs and pubs to net specific benefits for their gaming products in ways that competitors may not.

There's a glimpse of this already with the Sega x Azure strategic partnership, and the correlative benefits Game Pass has seen in getting ports of many Sega & Atlus games to that service, in many cases Day 1. I am pretty certain those benefits have come as a direct result of the Azure partnership Sega has. There are other things to keep in mind as well, such as Azure Playfab, and Havok (the latter MS acquired in 2015 from Intel).

I am not saying these things in isolation are bad, and Sony has similar technology ownerships that are licensed out to many different gaming companies, even Microsoft in a few cases. The problem is that Microsoft possess the ability to buy out the market in these regards due to a combination of the sheer amount of money they have alongside their expressed intents to dominate the industry.

And I keep stressing as well, the 2019 email does not help their case here whatsoever: one of the other means acquiring 3P publishers could be used to "put PlayStation out of business" is through buying ownership of any proprietary technologies those 3P have, and controlling the licensing and distribution of those technologies to direct competitors like Sony in ways that could be unfairly (to the licensee) amplified by ownership and control of related assets relating to the same acquired 3P entity, that a direct competitor may also rely on.

Again, it's just like the idea of M&A acquisitions themselves: it's not inherently a bad thing. But when dealing with a company of Microsoft's size, with its history of anticompetitive actions, & expressed intent to put direct competitors out of business combined with certain false narratives and half-truths they have already spoken about WRT direct competitors to influence public optics and even legal decisions (not to mention expressed intent to make further acquisitions in gaming beyond ABK), it creates a total picture that basically screams "block this deal.". Or at least a block without structural remedies applied.

...and that's even before taking into account what precedent this will set for other big tech companies looking to further consolidate the industry, themselves. At some point you likely won't have a 3P market aside from indie startups, and that's not a 3P market that can sustain itself seriously for any decent period of time.

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
Very rarely and it's quite lowkey....

I know some influencers in regions get free stuff... like Centane in Norway and TheRelaxingEnd.

They send stuff to Kinda Funny too, Parris got an Edge controller for instance.

Sony doesn't have any equivalent to the XBox Ambassador Program either, do they? Nor do they have "Informers" across social media sites, if I'm not mistaken.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75
24 Jun 2022

A lot of the praise PS5 received on socials was built on the foundation of its early impressions. We’d be silly to not make the connection between being on brand PlayStation’s good list and the overwhelmingly positive reception the PS5 would go on to receive.

I'm sure Sony (as well as Nintendo, in the case of Switch) send out PS5s to some influencers. In fact, I've seen it happen a few times with a couple streamers/influencers I follow.

But the thing is, Sony doesn't leverage them to push positive PS optics NEARLY as much as Microsoft does for Xbox. They also do not regularly send those folks free stuff, again different from MS, who have many big influencers they consistently provide access and free products/content to. In some cases, they even get rewards in the form of interviews with Xbox execs like Aaron Greenberg and Phil Spencer.

That's the truth of the matter on that topic. PS and Nintendo leverage influencers for at most 5 - 10% of their optics online, whereas with Microsoft that percentage jumps up massively to around 50 - 60%, and that might be a somewhat conservative estimate.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Sony doesn't have any equivalent to the XBox Ambassador Program either, do they? Nor do they have "Informers" across social media sites, if I'm not mistaken.

It's treated more as a harmless, nice thing to do for people that are willing to promote the brand and have zero toxicity, just very decent people.

It's nothing like Xbox's weaponized version.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Disagree, not buying opinions is a higher level of integrity.
It's not about buying opinions. It's about building and fostering your community, something they don't do? Andrew House / Layden era of Playstation understood this to an extent. That's the problem you go radio silent on your community, neglect the ones who put out genuine content for your platform but turn around and reward snakes who wants your platform to fail like Parris...

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022

I've heard that before. I don't agree with it at all. As it stands now, the moves MS have been making are detrimental to gaming in general - the biggest being making acquisitions for the specific purpose of releasing games on less platforms and attempting to strong arm gamers to their platform by starving the competition and reducing consumer choice. No one needs that. These attempts always come across as people attempting to drag unrelated game companies (be it Sony or Nintendo or Valve, etc.) down to MS' level.

As well, frankly, Sony absolutely doesn't need a company that is specifically gunning to put them out of business and has blatantly been carrying out a PR campaign to turn popular sentiment against them.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Don't know why, right now, Playstation needs to negotiate with Microsoft with CMA blocking ABK acquisition. Or is this moron entertaining that MS will close the deal without UK?
They keep their morons riled up till the end.
Until they make moronic press conference why they quit/didn't make acquisition to keep that console war going.
Phil and co invest millions each year, even their own time to fuel all that console war.