Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Arminius

19 May 2023
Even if MS does NOT get ABK, I’m afraid that won’t deter them, and they might go after other pubs like Square-ENIX, Capcom, Konami, Take Two, EA, etc. in ABK’s place. I think they’ll try this regardless anyway.

24 Jun 2022
Take this with a grain of salt given the source, but Sega is supposedly not interested in being acquired for now. They think Xbox appreciates them the most out of any platform holder though, which is dumb imo.

It's Bloomberg Takahashi, known anti-PS clown & tard. He was salivating to post this.

As for Sega...look I'll say it again. Out of ANY Japanese publisher, they are the only one MS has a realistic chance of acquiring. They have history with them going back to the late '90s. Some people may not like to hear this, but it's true. Sega's corporate DNA has also always been partly Western, since it was formed from a Japanese/American (Hawaiian, specifically) merger, and David Rosen (an American) was one of the two to form it.

Sega also historically have made arguably the worst business decisions of any platform holder, though Microsoft themselves are gunning for that title these days.

So I wouldn't be surprised if MS finds a means of acquiring Sega/Atlus, though they'll have to content with a much fiercer Nintendo (Sonic is huge on Nintendo's platforms) in doing so. I actually wouldn't expect Sony to care too much about a MS/Sega acquisition, if they (Sony) get Square-Enix and maybe some other Japanese publisher (Kadokawa, Capcom being two likely picks).

Yes the Persona and Yakuza games are more prolific but they aren't games Sony can't realistically substitute for in aforementioned acquisitions or big share buys & investments into Square-Enix, Kadokawa, Capcom etc. I'd expect Nintendo to be the more confrontational towards Microsoft in a Sega acquisition, if anything.

Even if MS does NOT get ABK, I’m afraid that won’t deter them, and they might go after other pubs like Square-ENIX, Capcom, Konami, Take Two, EA, etc. in ABK’s place. I think they’ll try this regardless anyway.

Those other pubs have to WANT to be acquired in the first place though, and for both money & cultural reasons Square-Enix, Capcom and Konami would be off the table. Take-Two is too large; ABK alone helps Xbox division get within spitting distance of PlayStation's revenue totals, Take-Two would push them well past that. EA might be a similar case, and likely consideration for sports monopoly or something.

Not to mention, MS have so much they need to fix up with the XGS studios, stemming growing dissatisfaction within the Zenimax teams post-acquisition, and then throwing ABK's workplace cultural BS and pipeline issues on top of that? Think of Xbox ATM as a dam nearing full capacity; a Take-Two or honestly any publisher on top of EA will cause that dam to break, and break hard.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Fuck Microsoft.
Truth Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Nah, it'll create precedent. MS could foreclose on Sony by taking IP exclusive to GP from any publisher of notable size or with notable IP. Weather it's ABK or Capcom etc. And MS still would have the pipeline to one of few cloud infrastructures in a cloud gaming future.

Can a judge not say spinoff the XB division, or make it only able to compete via its own earned profits? Divorce it from MS's money parachute.

Reactions: Arminius

Arminius

19 May 2023
Nah, it'll create precedent. MS could foreclose on Sony by taking IP exclusive to GP from any publisher of notable size or with notable IP. Weather it's ABK or Capcom etc. And MS still would have the pipeline to one of few cloud infrastructures in a cloud gaming future.

Can a judge not say spinoff the XB division, or make it only able to compete via its own earned profits? Divorce it from MS's money parachute.
So, you agree killing the ABK deal won’t necessarily deter MS from trying to dominate the gaming Industry.

JohnnyLove

3 May 2023

If they could, Microsoft would have bought into Japan a long time ago. And I don't think it's just a political issue at all, it's just that the people there, developers and executives, just don't want it, and the money just doesn't matter much. The Japanese just don't like Microsoft. Most would just leave the company once MS bought them, Microsoft is 100% aware of that. In fact. I bet MS won't touch anything in Japan even if they want it above all else.