Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

swsnana

28 Jun 2023
My guy, Yakuza and Persona/Atlus titles in general are HUGE with the core PS audience. They may not appeal to casuals, but there's a MASSIVE fanbase for those games on the platform. Not to mention Sonic's massive following.

Phil locking those IP down to Xbox almost guarantees a chunk of people being willing to BUY an Xbox if not outright switch. Sony would also have a vested interest in keeping those IP.

The only saving grace is SAMMY corp will NOT part with their gaming division lightly, or for a price either company would deem as worth it. Likely part of why Microsoft's potential acquisition strategy included the "complexities" of them being a publicly traded company.

Watch to see if they start courting their shareholders or looking to buy stock is all I'm saying.
Idk abt Yakuza but, yeah Persona series was and used to be Playstation exclusive only, and most of their core fanbase are PS users.

Persona 1 (PS1), Persona 2 Duology (PS1, PSP), Persona 3 (PS2), Persona 3 FES (PS2), Persona 3 Portable (PSP), Persona 4 (PS2), Persona 4 Golden (PS Vita), Persona 5 (PS3, PS4), Persona 5 Royal (PS4).

reziel

Veteran
12 Jun 2023
they don't even bought devs which was multiplatform. if you check, all what they bought, already made games for them.

these guys lies so much and inventing nonsense.
That's a fact they all choose to ignore they see that one game that they would actually want to play and blame Sony for not "sharing." I mean Bungie is the only odd one they bought but they're still honoring the multiplatform agreement. I do recall Bungie approaching Microsoft to be bought or atleast showing interest in going back to work under them but the said they weren't worth the asking price they wanted.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
My guy, Yakuza and Persona/Atlus titles in general are HUGE with the core PS audience. They may not appeal to casuals, but there's a MASSIVE fanbase for those games on the platform. Not to mention Sonic's massive following.

Phil locking those IP down to Xbox almost guarantees a chunk of people being willing to BUY an Xbox if not outright switch. Sony would also have a vested interest in keeping those IP.

The only saving grace is SAMMY corp will NOT part with their gaming division lightly, or for a price either company would deem as worth it. Likely part of why Microsoft's potential acquisition strategy included the "complexities" of them being a publicly traded company.

Watch to see if they start courting their shareholders or looking to buy stock is all I'm saying.
Neither fanbases are massive to be honest, but they sure are concentrated on PlayStation.

That's what I don't get. Microsoft moneyhats too! Also, Sony have not bought a publisher in response to moneyhats.
Sony doesn't even money hat that much if you account for what else they could be doing.

They could've easily blocked Persona, Yakuza, Dragon Quest, Street Fighter, Monster Hunter or even Resident Evil from ever releasing on Xbox because all of those game sell drastically more on PlayStation.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Neither fanbases are massive to be honest, but they sure are concentrated on PlayStation.

Sony doesn't even money hat that much if you account for what else they could be doing.

They could've easily blocked Persona, Yakuza, Dragon Quest, Street Fighter, Monster Hunter or even Resident Evil from ever releasing on Xbox because all of those game sell drastically more on PlayStation.
A lot of stuff Xbox guys claim are moneyhats are just examples of devs not seeing an Xbox version as worth the investment.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
A lot of stuff Xbox guys claim are moneyhats are just examples of devs not seeing an Xbox version as worth the investment.
Option 1: getting some money from PlayStation, getting sales boost from Sony's market, not having to develop a Series S and Series X version of their games, selling very little on Xbox.

Options 2: getting enough money from MS and extra sales on Xbox to justify making a Series S and Series X version of their games and losing on the Sony money/marketing/support.

The reason Sega is so mad is likely that their games were not deemed important enough to get the same treatment that Final Fantasy got.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022

Not your guy and massive is an exaggeration, to put it mildly. Everything is measured relative to something else. Those IPs going exclusive have less of an impact by a huge margin than Bethesda IPs and I'm being kind here. SEGA is an old condom. Persona is the only IP worth a thing and the main userbase is on PS - a niche userbase amplified by Sony at will. All Sony needs is a new partnership to draw your attention to something else that's similar, shiny, with plenty of weeb - amplify, cash in - as they often do (if one partnership fails, they try with someone else until it hits). Sony can make or break third party IPs. SEGA is valuable to Nintendo and the cross in PS/Switch userbase can potentially harm Sony if Nintendo were the ones to acquire them. In MS pocket, full exclusivity = IP death - hence not a significant threat. All these bum pubs from Japan are highly overrated in their industry impact of today, specially when Japan has become a handheld, mobile market most of all. Sony behaves accordingly, otherwise they would be making moves and outplaying or outbidding MS quickly if it was a concern of immediate importance. SEGA would be welcoming Sony's money and attention with open arms as well - who doesn't like to be right beside the winning team and getting the shiny under the sun?

MS money naturally goes to Bethesda, then ABK. And after ABK, EA, Ubisoft, Warner, CD Project Red etc.

SEGA is bottom of the barrel feeder - also as always with a Japanese pub, it will go the way of Konami before it lands on the hands of a competitor to Japanese jewels Nintendo/Sony (politics). Everything in between is allowed.

Last edited:

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022

I wish they would. Then the games would theoretically be even better being able to code more to the metal and not Xbox One/Series S's lowest common denominator bullshit.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022

Sony doesn’t care too much about Sega. The only publisher where Sony has interest to acquire is Square Enix. Because FF, KH, Nier and DQ sell more than Sega games combined. If Sony goes after a Japanese pub then it will be Square.