Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Bort

8 Jan 2023
I think Unions are coming up more simply because MS has chosen to make them part of the conversation surrounding the acquisition. I do recall Lina Khan addressing this type of strategy, as well. This goes a little more into what she said (and the predictable response given the web site), but despite this MS has chosen to bring it into their strategy. So, if it will not impact the FTC, then why are they doing it? It's certainly not for altruistic reasons. For me, I believe a lot of their moves have to do with shaping public opinion. From the beginning, it seems like they've focused more on that than on convincing regulators.

As well, there's been a lot of talk surrounding the FTC as being more focused on ideology over rule of law. I wondered if this sudden Union support from MS sprung up from this misconception. Maybe a 'fight fire with fire' sort of thing.

I enjoyed reading your post, learned a lot too. Thank you.
It also undermines Biden's/the democratic projection of being pro union whilst relying on Republicans wanting small government.

Bort

8 Jan 2023
The hyperbole has been spread out into social media.

First of all, let's talk about assumptions.
I honestly have no idea how to respond to anything after the first sentence. But I think it's neat that you think things are related. I'm picturing one of those crime boards with red strings connecting stuff. I'm too drunk right now.

I had to look this up xD. I...guess this would serve as an analogy to the FTC and Microsoft?
It's the Supreme Court's rule for FTC reach, which isn't analogous of FTC V MS. New precedent would have to be set to go against it. Axiom V FTC will be the first attempt to try it, but without the other branches supporting it, it's dubious. Again, I'm Aussie and only a few cases at a time in the USA, so I could be completely wrong. (But if I was a betting man, if the republican majority SC get their way, the FTC will lose a chunk of power by August, and MS Kahn will have to run for governance a few years later) There is another case from 87 that I can't think of at the moment, which kept throwing responsibility to the constitution in an open and honest interpretation, to the detriment of bias... (a judge shouldn't have bias. Side note, the first time I tried coke was at a judges house. I brought two bottles of $8 wine, they had Bollinger by the case)

Anyway, I'm going to drink more, and try to get pregnant via sushi.

Xo

24 Jun 2022
It's likely that it will not go through but FTC is posturing and being biased in the process for who in MS thought it would be a good idea to get ABK
I was always hoping they would buy Sega or Capcom

I see no path where MS buying Capcom would make any sense other than to cut Sony & Nintendo off from a 3P whose games sell vastly more on their systems than Xbox. At which point, I would hope regulators called it out for what it was and stop that type of a deal. Them promising to keep Capcom games multiplat doesn't change the fact it would be a cold play to control distribution of content of a 3P where said content generates more on non-MS platforms and where competitors would have had objectively better access to competitive terms (since the 3P pre-acquisition would not be owned by a platform holder).

MS & Sega makes a bit more sense from a historical POV, they have worked together in some capacity since the late '90s with Windows CE on the Dreamcast. Sega also had a good deal of exclusives for OG Xbox and a few for the 360 (Chromehounds, which was at least a timed exclusive). Now Sega's a client of the Azure cloud and they're supposedly using that as part of their Super Game initiative.

Even so, I don't see why MS would need Sega. The only reason I can think of would be for JRPGs and kid-friendly games but technically, MS already had the latter thanks to Rare IP like Banjo-Kazooie, Viva Pinata etc. As for JRPGs, well the truth is they don't "need" to have every genre covered to be competitive. This applies to Sony too, but I think the argument surrounding COD isn't so much because it's "a" FPS so much that it's THE FPS and the IP itself is such a big deal when compared to most other IP in the gaming market.

Otherwise Sony doesn't "need" to have a massive FPS presence to be competitive, even if they've implied otherwise. Though I think realities of certain genre performance when it comes to revenue matters too. JRPGs as a whole account for significantly less revenue than FPS games as a genre, so that creates more a reason Sony would feel they need access to a FPS like COD in order to stay competitive in the console market.

I honestly have no idea how to respond to anything after the first sentence. But I think it's neat that you think things are related. I'm picturing one of those crime boards with red strings connecting stuff. I'm too drunk right now.

It's the Supreme Court's rule for FTC reach, which isn't analogous of FTC V MS. New precedent would have to be set to go against it. Axiom V FTC will be the first attempt to try it, but without the other branches supporting it, it's dubious. Again, I'm Aussie and only a few cases at a time in the USA, so I could be completely wrong. (But if I was a betting man, if the republican majority SC get their way, the FTC will lose a chunk of power by August, and MS Kahn will have to run for governance a few years later) There is another case from 87 that I can't think of at the moment, which kept throwing responsibility to the constitution in an open and honest interpretation, to the detriment of bias... (a judge shouldn't have bias. Side note, the first time I tried coke was at a judges house. I brought two bottles of $8 wine, they had Bollinger by the case)

Anyway, I'm going to drink more, and try to get pregnant via sushi.

Xo

NGL everything was maybe vaguely tracking until you talked about sushi impregnation. Ease off the R34 amigo 😂

Just kidding btw.

Reactions: Bort and laynelane

Playstation Sucka

8 Jan 2023
I see no path where MS buying Capcom would make any sense other than to cut Sony & Nintendo off from a 3P whose games sell vastly more on their systems than Xbox. At which point, I would hope regulators called it out for what it was and stop that type of a deal. Them promising to keep Capcom games multiplat doesn't change the fact it would be a cold play to control distribution of content of a 3P where said content generates more on non-MS platforms and where competitors would have had objectively better access to competitive terms (since the 3P pre-acquisition would not be owned by a platform holder).

MS & Sega makes a bit more sense from a historical POV, they have worked together in some capacity since the late '90s with Windows CE on the Dreamcast. Sega also had a good deal of exclusives for OG Xbox and a few for the 360 (Chromehounds, which was at least a timed exclusive). Now Sega's a client of the Azure cloud and they're supposedly using that as part of their Super Game initiative.

Even so, I don't see why MS would need Sega. The only reason I can think of would be for JRPGs and kid-friendly games but technically, MS already had the latter thanks to Rare IP like Banjo-Kazooie, Viva Pinata etc. As for JRPGs, well the truth is they don't "need" to have every genre covered to be competitive. This applies to Sony too, but I think the argument surrounding COD isn't so much because it's "a" FPS so much that it's THE FPS and the IP itself is such a big deal when compared to most other IP in the gaming market.

Otherwise Sony doesn't "need" to have a massive FPS presence to be competitive, even if they've implied otherwise. Though I think realities of certain genre performance when it comes to revenue matters too. JRPGs as a whole account for significantly less revenue than FPS games as a genre, so that creates more a reason Sony would feel they need access to a FPS like COD in order to stay competitive in the console market.
That's me assuming that ABK isn't allowed to go through if it's not allowed than the two assets Capcom and Sega can be considered
Sega is a good choice because they also have PC centric studios
Capcom is on a roll nowadays so who knows will have to wait how things pan out
Sony too can buy Kadokawa too get From software
Lots of possibilities here

BigMclargeHuge

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
That's me assuming that ABK isn't allowed to go through if it's not allowed than the two assets Capcom and Sega can be considered

Sega is a good choice because they also have PC centric studios

Capcom is on a roll nowadays so who knows will have to wait how things pan out

Sony too can buy Kadokawa too get From software

Lots of possibilities there
Or...Microsoft can focus on all the studios they already have. They haven't yet shown the ability to manage their first party output with any great degree of competence.
Not to mention further consolidation of the industry is not a good thing.

Playstation Sucka

8 Jan 2023
Or...Microsoft can focus on all the studios they already have. They haven't yet shown the ability to manage their first party output with any great degree of competence.
Not to mention further consolidation of the industry is not a good thing.
I don't think that's their fault though
They are giving the studios time they need to feed the subscription that's a business model where you need content and lots of it ,future proofing yourself now is better
Other than 343 I don't see where the problem persists also they will get chastised anyways if they release a game and it's underwhelming so the opposite is better

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I don't think that's their fault though
They are giving the studios time they need to feed the subscription that's a business model where you need content and lots of it ,future proofing yourself now is better
Other than 343 I don't see where the problem persists also they will get chastised anyways if they release a game and it's underwhelming so the opposite is better

The current state of Everwild/Rare, State of Decay 3/Undead Labs, Playground Games/Fable, Perfect Dark/The Initiative, 343/Halo Infinite all fall under Microsofts management.

Thats a lot of studios with issues all of which are maintained/organized/ and managed by Microsoft internally. It's one thing to have 343 which has had a history under MS to not being managed well having issues since there's a trail you can follow over multiple projects. It's another thing that almost all of these newly acquired studios are having issues weather it be the project itself or internal issues with studio management.

Sorry there's just too much data and evidence thats been covered by Jason Schrier, Jeff Grubb among others that show MS still has issues with managing software. WHich had been an issue since 360 days even when they were kicking ass.
To say that in 5 years in one project per studio you are going to be able to make something to the akin as a high quality Nintendo/Sony first party and get it right the first time is really reaching.

Nintendo and Sony took years to hone their development craft and they are still honing. Microsoft never improved their studios, all they did was move them around on different things when certain things didnt do well and if something good came of it they then would run with it.
Hence why RARE has one game SOT that really was a make or break for the studio. Everwild has been restarted like 2-3 times as a project.

If starfield does come out 3-4 Quarter 2023 and it comes in hot, its not going to be a good look. The saving grace is if Hellblade 2 makes it this year and is a hit critically. I feel that would be a light at the end of the tunnel moment for XBox.

Playstation Sucka

8 Jan 2023
The current state of Everwild/Rare, State of Decay 3/Undead Labs, Playground Games/Fable, Perfect Dark/The Initiative, 343/Halo Infinite all fall under Microsofts management.

Thats a lot of studios with issues all of which are maintained/organized/ and managed by Microsoft internally. It's one thing to have 343 which has had a history under MS to not being managed well having issues since there's a trail you can follow over multiple projects. It's another thing that almost all of these newly acquired studios are having issues weather it be the project itself or internal issues with studio management.

Sorry there's just too much data and evidence thats been covered by Jason Schrier, Jeff Grubb among others that show MS still has issues with managing software. WHich had been an issue since 360 days even when they were kicking ass.
To say that in 5 years in one project per studio you are going to be able to make something to the akin as a high quality Nintendo/Sony first party and get it right the first time is really reaching.

Nintendo and Sony took years to hone their development craft and they are still honing. Microsoft never improved their studios, all they did was move them around on different things when certain things didnt do well and if something good came of it they then would run with it.
Hence why RARE has one game SOT that really was a make or break for the studio. Everwild has been restarted like 2-3 times as a project.

If starfield does come out 3-4 Quarter 2023 and it comes in hot, its not going to be a good look. The saving grace is if Hellblade 2 makes it this year and is a hit critically. I feel that would be a light at the end of the tunnel moment for XBox.
I will only judge them with how the game works out in the end for the one who are going to play it I shall wait before blindly mandating it as a wide problem just on basis of comments here and there
If the games shine out nobody will have a problem will have to wait and see

Reactions: peter42O

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Brilliant point. If I may add to it, remember when satay said, “even if this deal doesn’t go through, Xbox will still exist?” Or something to that effect. That was a few months ago, but if the ceo of the company is publicly suggesting the deal may not go through, then in my opinion they’ve already been told it’s a no go.

Maybe all these delays are regulators giving Microsoft a chance to abandon the deal instead of embarrassing themselves even more before it gets blocked? Probably just a tin foil hat theory though.
You’re probably not too far from reality.

A shareholder revolt if the FTC spanks MS could be lethal to the careers of Nadell and Phil, and could damage the company, but just walking away from the deal without a fight would be worse for the careers of the CEO and top XBox dude.

The deal dying results in MS paying out billions of dollars on top of the PR black eye, but quitting before the end of the trial goes against MS corporate culture.

Guaranteed trainwreck either way.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I will only judge them with how the game works out in the end for the one who are going to play it I shall wait before blindly mandating it as a wide problem just on basis of comments here and there
If the games shine out nobody will have a problem will have to wait and see
That has merit to only Judge based on when you can play it. I think the issue is we've all been waiting for what seems like a gen for results. And the other thing is countless developers have pointed to Microsoft management being the issue.

Also we are glossing over the biggest thing, the fact that a staple, they staple franchise Halo which helped launch their original system is in such a terrible state as a franchise and as a studio.

I think a lot of negative things could have been mitigated if they had not announced anything that was too early. AKA Fable, Everwild, State of Decay 3, perfect Dark, Avowed.
When do we hold Microsoft accountable for buying a $500 machine and launching it with no new exclusive titles? When will we hold them accountable for cancelling countless announced projects?

Sorry but I too am willing to judge a game by its merits, but we are not talking about the game itself, we are talking about the studios who are managed by Microsoft that have dropped the ball countless times.
And im not basing my ire for MS studio managment off of comments, im basing it off of, cancelled projects, multi delayed projects, studio exodus.

Too much hard info out there to deny whats been going on.

Playstation Sucka

8 Jan 2023
That has merit to only Judge based on when you can play it. I think the issue is we've all been waiting for what seems like a gen for results. And the other thing is countless developers have pointed to Microsoft management being the issue.

Also we are glossing over the biggest thing, the fact that a staple, they staple franchise Halo which helped launch their original system is in such a terrible state as a franchise and as a studio.

I think a lot of negative things could have been mitigated if they had not announced anything that was too early. AKA Fable, Everwild, State of Decay 3, perfect Dark, Avowed.
When do we hold Microsoft accountable for buying a $500 machine and launching it with no new exclusive titles? When will we hold them accountable for cancelling countless announced projects?

Sorry but I too am willing to judge a game by its merits, but we are not talking about the game itself, we are talking about the studios who are managed by Microsoft that have dropped the ball countless times.
And im not basing my ire for MS studio managment off of comments, im basing it off of, cancelled projects, multi delayed projects, studio exodus.

Too much hard info out there to deny whats been going on.
You have valid points though cannot disagree I see MS has a problem with communicating things, I want them to change that
Halo is in a state where destiny was during the early years although Halo has a baggage destiny doesn't
But it is what it is 343 should give Halo a break the baggage is too big for them their talents can be used elsewhere
Bungie era Halo is difficult to replicate

Last edited:

Bort

8 Jan 2023
When will we hold them accountable for cancelling countless announced projects?
What got cancelled? I was in the Fable beta and it... had nice graphics? It was like a shitty version of paragon. Scalebound can't be counted, because if it is, I want Lost Odysee 2!

Playstation Sucka

8 Jan 2023
It's something they should look upon MS was in a dire state last gen they better learn from their shite mistakes

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
What got cancelled? I was in the Fable beta and it... had nice graphics? It was like a shitty version of paragon. Scalebound can't be counted, because if it is, I want Lost Odysee 2!

Phantomdust Canned. Scalebound canned., Fable I understand why it was canned but the developers themselves even said in interviews they had no clue how to make a moba but Microsoft put them on it anyway and said no to a fable 4 pitch. They shot that down. Then closed the studio.
Eurogamer has put together an in-depth postmortem on what exactly happened behind closed doors, by speaking to those involved and piecing together the puzzle to why Microsoft would ultimately want to kill off Fable. Especially when you consider that in 2008, upon the release of Fable 2, the studio’s founder Peter Molyneux praised the development team who had worked tirelessly for four years to create what would go on to be the best-selling RPG for Xbox 360 and win a BAFTA. Seven and a half years later, the studio responsible for those accomplishments would cease to exist.

Lionhead’s final project was Fable Legends, but no one at the company even wanted to work on the title that eventually cost $75 million. One of Eurogamer’s sources even claims that Microsoft was told the ultimately doomed title wasn’t fun and didn’t have features that a free-to-play game should have. Development continued nevertheless, although the team had a doomsday scenario; in the case of the game’s cancellation, the assets would be used to make Fable 4, a game Microsoft had already rejected. No one expected that the real doomsday would actually be closure and job losses. According to the source, “People were happy that Legends was coming to a close. We never really expected Legends to last a long time, but we never expected them to cancel it."

Scalebound some instances were playable, they had no ambition to continue their partnership with Platinum when platinum would have gladly worked on something else. But Microsoft didn't want to continue with the issues of communication being the biggest issues between PG and Xbox studios.

i will that a lot of the issues were how Platinum used funds from MS to pay for other projects. Which is wrong, but also Microsoft should see financially how bad of a situation PG was in which was saved by Nintendo.

Last edited:

Bort

8 Jan 2023
Phantomdust Canned. Scalebound canned., Fable I understand why it was canned but the developers themselves even said in interviews they had no clue how to make a moba but Microsoft put them on it anyway and said no to a fable 4 pitch. They shot that down. Then closed the studio.

Scalebound some instances were playable, they had no ambition to continue their partnership with Platinum when platinum would have gladly worked on something else. But Microsoft didn't want to continue with the issues of communication being the biggest issues between PG and Xbox studios.
Weren't they all a decade ago? You are holding a grudge, mate.

Also Do not look into the Indy/mod scene. There are casualties splattered everywhere.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Weren't they all a decade ago? You are holding a grudge, mate.

Also Do not look into the Indy/mod scene. There are casualties splattered everywhere.

Ok lets look at Everwild being rebooted twice already and being shown when the developers didn't even have a gameplay loop?

Lets look at something from 2019 called crackdown 3?

LETS LOOK at the state of Halo, and 343?

Playstation Sucka

8 Jan 2023
Ok lets look at Everwild being rebooted twice already and being shown when the developers didn't even have a gameplay loop?

Internal projects like everwild getting scrapped is normal something's don't work so you go back to the drawing board you have seen Cory's documentary where they scrapped a new game for God of war and we would not have known it unless the insiders didn't leak it
Crackdown 3 is cracked
343 Halo is not a new thing we can go back to Halo 4 where it all started and point their mistakes
As I said 343 should give Halo a break it has a lot of baggage

Reactions: Bort

Bort

8 Jan 2023

I don't think this post is the burn that you intend it to be?

Rare keeps getting distracted by Sea of Thieves, and I feel like Everwild suffers as a result.

As someone who played single player fortnite, I know that a GaaS can ruin everything.

Halo is fun? If you want to talk about the battle Pass, I'm not your bloke for it.

Crackdown got released. I enjoyed the gravity gun.

You obviously have an epic hate about this for some reason?

Did you try MSFS?

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Internal projects like everwild getting scrapped is normal something's don't work so you go back to the drawing board you have seen Cory's documentary where they scrapped a new game for God of war and we would not have known it unless the insiders didn't leak it
Crackdown 3 is cracked
343 Halo is not a new thing we can go back to Halo 4 where it all started and point their mistakes
As I said 343 should give Halo a break it has a lot of baggage
did Cory announced that game in the eyes of whole world? answer is NO.
but Everwild was sold to millions by m$.

Lord Mittens

Community Cat
1 Jul 2022

Crackdown 3 makes me shudder