Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
A monopsony is about a company leveraging its dominance in the market to impose conditions on sellers because there aren't alternatives that you can sell to. It's the complement of monopoly where the company imposes conditions on buyers because there is no one else to buy from.

A company can be dominant in a market without being a monopsony, it depends on the behavior.
I don't like you, you make me feel Daft sometimes 🙁

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
I would like to disclose that I and zzero are not related.

I would also like to point out that MS is not an underdog. They have ton of money! They could had build tons of studios from scratch.

Analogy time! Imagine you have 3 students at university who need to make a project in 1 month. 2 of them work hard and go to classes, the third one skips classes then at the last week goes and buys all the supplies needed for the project goes to the teacher saying “it’s unfair, they will have better scores, why can’t I? “

One eyed jacks

10 Feb 2023
That's why the people claiming that Sony should back down because ABK will be mad at them if they stay independent are foolish. If they were willing to sell to MS, they weren't interested in having much more of a relationship with Playstation anyway.
My understanding is abk currently gets an extra percentage for every sale on psn, more than the typical 70:30, say 75,25. Sony is taking a hit on revenue made for incentives like marketing and map packs. If the deal goes through Sony expects the percentage to change giving abk/ Microsoft reason to take off PlayStation because abk/ms would be making less with a stand 70/30.

So Sony is giving abk more revenue than than the typical 70/30 split and they still want to screw PlayStation over. Imagine being that greedy!
Activision execs and Microsoft are gonna come out of this failed attempt inside their own graves they dug for themselves and they fully deserve it for being the greasy rats they truly are.

alphachino

24 Aug 2022
They could also own a vertical monopoly. In a scenario where cloud gaming takes over as the main way to access games like streaming is for movies you could see MS already owning

1. The servers necessary to power streaming. Giving them the power to decide what hardware is used to stream games.

2. The largest collection of developers including two of the most popular IPs on the planet, Minecraft and COD. This will make them not only the biggest publisher but the biggest employer in the industry

3. The largest consumer facing distribution network with Xcloud and Gamepass

The future MS envisions for themselves is leasing out Azure to Sony and Nintendo which run on Xbox or PC server racks and just change out button prompts for Sony or Nintendo who run their own smaller services and are at the whim of MS pricing. Oh and Sony/Nintendo needing to pay for licenses to access content like COD, Minecraft, and whatever massive publishers they sweep up if left unchecked

They can run Gamepass at a loss right now because they see themselves being paid in the long term for Azure access and content access while still running their own platform
Fuck this dystopian monopsonistic potential future timeline. Fuck Gamepass. Fuck MS. I have GPU until 2024, but I feel like I wanna boycott it anyway right now.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
I would like to disclose that I and zzero are not related.
Just admit it, he's your little brother, there is no shame here.

@Elder Legend is @PropellerEar's little annoying brother and @Gamernyc78 is @Gediminas somewhat hot chubby little sister.

Max Greenfield Family GIF by CBS

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Seems as though even era is starting to doubt Foss patents Florian as a source. They also seem to think the EU will approve the deal but the CMA may not.

FOSS.PNG FOSS 2.PNG

• fire
Reactions: Bryank75

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Seems as though even era is starting to doubt Foss patents Florian as a source. They also seem to think the EU will approve the deal but the CMA may not.

View attachment 595View attachment 596
Florian Müeller has been a sock puppet of MS PR going back to the lawsuits MS filed to try to kill Android a decade and a half ago.

He has less credibility than Justin Trudeau at an anti-racism seminar.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022

View attachment 595View attachment 596
Notice how this foss character only popped up after being rebuked by the cma. He’s just another Microsoft soothe Sayer in a long line of Microsoft soothe sayers. There’s no evidence to suggest that the European council will be more lenient than the CMA and if they were, you would know some Microsoft plant would’ve leaked that by now. The meeting that they’re having on the 21st is because Microsoft beg the council to even hear them. Sounds like they already have their mind made up to me. We will see.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Notice how this foss character only popped up after being rebuked by the cma. He’s just another Microsoft soothe Sayer in a long line of Microsoft soothe sayers. There’s no evidence to suggest that the European council will be more lenient than the CMA and if they were, you would know some Microsoft plant would’ve leaked that by now. The meeting that they’re having on the 21st is because Microsoft beg the council to even hear them. Sounds like they already have their mind made up to me. We will see.
Considering that MS materially misled the EU to get the Bethesda deal approved, only a complete moron would ever expect them to go easy on this deal.

Not that it matters, as MS would have to abide by the strictest set of conditions imposed by regulators, so the EU not blocking wouldn't mean a damned thing with the CMA imposing conditions.

Also, it's soothsayer, and it doesn't mean what you seem to think it means. A soothsayer is a shaman/oracle/prophet.

• Informative
Reactions: EN250

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
He's been pushing for this deal to happen way before the CMA came out against it. Dude is extremely combative / fanboyish for an experienced "analyst".

• angry

riesgoyfortuna

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
Yes. Go watch pre-release PS2 E3s or the infamous PS3 reveal conference (the one before the epic "Giant Enemy Crab" conference, which was funnier but included less bullshit since it was closer to release.) Lots of people claim the pre-release PS2 bullshit killed the Dreamcast with claims of "Toy Story graphics" and other turn of the millennium nonsense.
Metal gear 2 reveal killed dreamcast ( and sega)

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Considering that MS materially misled the EU to get the Bethesda deal approved, only a complete moron would ever expect them to go easy on this deal.

Not that it matters, as MS would have to abide by the strictest set of conditions imposed by regulators, so the EU not blocking wouldn't mean a damned thing with the CMA imposing conditions.

Also, it's soothsayer, and it doesn't mean what you seem to think it means. A soothsayer is a shaman/oracle/prophet.
I’ve been saying it’s a cult so soothe sayer is still applicable lol