Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Posted by idas

New report from MLex:

- Microsoft committed to EU regulators last night to make Activision Blizzard's catalog of games, including Call of Duty, available to rival cloud gaming services according to MLex.

- The offer does not include concessions to ease EU concerns over how the takeover might impact Sony's PlayStation or Google's PC operating system, indicating that the EC has narrowed its objections to the deal to focus on cloud gaming.

- The 10-year remedy proposal follows the template of recent deals announced by Microsoft with cloud gaming providers Nvidia, Boosteroid and Ubitus.

- The EC is consulting market players on Microsoft's cloud gaming offer and now it has until May 22 to issue a final decision.

So, the EC didn't drop the cloud gaming concerns. In fact, those are the main ones right now.

That's very interesting because then the CMA and the EC are more aligned than we thought regarding the theories of harm. The main difference would be that the CMA is also concerned about the console market (it looks like both regulators have dropped the concerns about PC OS).

The timing between the CMA and the EC is again different (now the CMA could be a few weeks ahead).

In any case, if the CMA goes first, April 26th is still the more relevant date.

CMA could go first with a decision is interesting. They will take the lead and won't feel pressured by anybody else's decision.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Posted by idas

CMA could go first with a decision is interesting. They will take the lead and won't feel pressured by anybody else's decision.
Interesting, though he seems to be making a lot of assumptions about what the regulators are and aren't still concerned with.

Reactions: FatKaz

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Interesting, though he seems to be making a lot of assumptions about what the regulators are and aren't still concerned with.
Yeah, i find it hard to believe that EC after months of work, decide to suddenly drop there concerns down to just cloud gaming.

What happened in the interim between the SO and now for them to drop it? A pink swear my Microsoft?

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Yeah, i find it hard to believe that EC after months of work, decide to suddenly drop there concerns down to just cloud gaming.

What happened in the interim between the SO and now for them to drop it? A pink swear my Microsoft?
It is interesting that the EC seem to have pushed back their date again though. CMA going first could have some wild implications for all of this.

Reactions: Bryank75
D

Deleted member 417

It’s probably everywhere. It’s what the brand foster and it’s one of the main reasons LGBTQ+ gamers prefer Sony or Nintendo
Which is weird because everyone paying into a system and getting shit for free is typical a social-style system. Like NHS in Britain.

Aidendelaney95

9 Jul 2022
I know the EC pushed their deadline date by a few weeks recently, a couple of weeks ago I think. Am I missing something that they did again since then, or am I mixed up?