MS and Gaming Revenue Overview

FIREK2029

24 Jun 2022
It's too early in the gen for sales to be declining. These consoles are barely two years old and MS is already seeing a decline in sales.

No way to damage control this, Xbox is on the ropes and they need to fix this ASAP. GamePass isn't doing it for them and a $200 Series S fire sale couldn't do it for them either. They need to drop high quality AAA games back to back to reverse this trend. If they can't provide a timely influx of high quality AAA games they'll be dead in the water this gen.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
It's too early in the gen for sales to be declining. These consoles are barely two years old and MS is already seeing a decline in sales.

No way to damage control this, Xbox is on the ropes and they need to fix this ASAP. GamePass isn't doing it for them and a $200 Series S fire sale couldn't do it for them either. They need to drop high quality AAA games back to back to reverse this trend. If they can't provide a timely influx of high quality AAA games they'll be dead in the water this gen.
The last console to have this bad of a third holiday quarter in North America was the SEGA Saturn.

The Saturn was discontinued before its third Holiday Quarter.

• fire
Reactions: Rivet and FIREK2029

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Could the GP numbers be so bad that Microsoft is delaying games to bump numbers?

If 10 million subscribed in October to play Starfield in November, who are then told Starfield has a short delay, how many of those 10 million would cancel their GP?

I know it sounds a bit conspiracy theory whacky, but all of the companies that give you '1 free month!' do it knowing that the majority of people won't cancel their subs out of laziness.
EXTREMELY unlikely, since Game Pass is failing to hit its own targets on Xbox.

• brain
Reactions: Deleted member 417

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
yeah, xbox one x are worthless now, so i wouldn't expect much. If i was looking to collect xbox, i'd be eying one of the 360 models. that would give you access to the 2 relevant gens of xbox (OG and 360) with full compatability. xbone and onwards has been a wash, not one fully exclusive title worth playing today.
360 was FAR from fully backwards compatible with original Xbox, and a lot of the games on the official compatibility list didn't work properly.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Phil was promoted to head of Xbox Game Studios in 2008, which was when the wheels fell off their internal development.

It has only gotten worse since then.
The dangers of being extremely charismatic: when you become the problem, no one in a position to rectify it wants to admit it. Xbox has been floundering and rather than getting the right people in place to fix it, the microsoft board and satya nadella continue to allow phil to torpedo the brand. Phil should be head of the marketing department, not CEO.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
The dangers of being extremely charismatic: when you become the problem, no one in a position to rectify it wants to admit it. Xbox has been floundering and rather than getting the right people in place to fix it, the microsoft board and satya nadella continue to allow phil to torpedo the brand. Phil should be head of the marketing department, not CEO.
There’s also a large element of Phil being made head of Xbox because that job was seen as a career-ender by all the other potential candidates. He basically got the promotion nobody else was willing to take.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
There’s also a large element of Phil being made head of Xbox because that job was seen as a career-ender by all the other potential candidates. He basically got the promotion nobody else was willing to take.
I mean within 5 years as CEO and not being able to turn it around... satya would have to be asleep at the wheel. I really think phil and potentially satya are done if actiblizz falls through

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I mean within 5 years as CEO and not being able to turn it around... satya would have to be asleep at the wheel. I really think phil and potentially satya are done if actiblizz falls through
Satya bought into Phil telling him that he could convert the Xbox business into the Game Pass business, and that is the sort of conversion that needs a bit of time to bear fruit.

The missed bonuses due to stalled Game Pass growth last summer were a big indicator that the plan wasn’t going to succeed, but they kept up a brave face to try to keep console sales going through the holidays.

Now the real fallout will hit, and we could very well see the board of directors give both Phil and Satya the boot.

OP
OP
Gediminas

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Satya bought into Phil telling him that he could convert the Xbox business into the Game Pass business, and that is the sort of conversion that needs a bit of time to bear fruit.

The missed bonuses due to stalled Game Pass growth last summer were a big indicator that the plan wasn’t going to succeed, but they kept up a brave face to try to keep console sales going through the holidays.

Now the real fallout will hit, and we could very well see the board of directors give both Phil and Satya the boot.
2 times in a row they missed the target, by huge margin.