MS and Gaming Revenue Overview

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
Those journalists that are accused of being pro Xbox appear to have acknowledged the qtr returns but haven't really commented on the impact of the data. The only one is Ryan Mc so I'd say confidently that he is the only one who is shilling for free from that group, the rest are in hovering mode until they get updated/paid by Uncle Phil.

OP
OP
Gediminas

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Those journalists that are accused of being pro Xbox appear to have acknowledged the qtr returns but haven't really commented on the impact of the data. The only one is Ryan Mc so I'd say confidently that he is the only one who is shilling for free from that group, the rest are in hovering mode until they get updated/paid by Uncle Phil.
100%. PR team is building new narrative. It will hit internet through shills soon.

D

Deleted member 417

there's no way to spin this. these are really, really bad numbers.

Xbox is irrelevant in the marketplace.
The positive spin I can see is that cloud computing was up 18%. If Spencer can spin that as a direct result of Xcloud and Gamepass subs, he may save his arse and Nadella's.

Some background but a little OT:

Microsoft as a company are moving to cloud services, they've hinted towards this in the past. The real money for them is Azure server farm rent, which is why they moved to a subscription service model with Office and why they're positioning themselves to attempt it with Windows.

Xbox one becoming a streaming only console is part of the plan. However, the plan has taken a knock because the Series X hasn't produced the game to convince people to upgrade OR cloud stream on the Xbone family. The Series S (S for streaming) was also going to be a hybrid local/streaming console. A cost effective console for casuals, with the ability to stream high-end games. Series X was going to be 100% local gaming for your enthusiast.

3 years ago, MS was meant to launch a 'Firestick' like device for Streaming games AND media by doing deals with Disney and Netflix (Netflix are offering games on their platform today) backed up by Microsoft's first party Tv shows like Halo. Obviously that has gone to pot because Halo has been a catastrophic failure.

Here we are today with no firestick, a streaming service not fully in place, still no clear marketing strategy of the One and Series families, IP's delayed or in ruins and a console that is having problems behind the scenes. People will tell you otherwise and they will attack me for saying this and downplay it, but the Series X is not working as intended. It is borked at the lowest levels and MS can't fix it. It's a big secret that no-one dare talk about.

So where does that leave us? It leaves us with Microsoft crowing about 120 million users because that means 120 million users logging into Azure servers. That's why that number is been shouted from the rooftops more than anything else. Satya and Spencer can bamboozle the board with that number and repeat it often enough that it seems like a huge triumph for Microsofts long term goals. Buying ABK is really the key to the plan now. More people connecting via COD, OW2 and Diablo (all forced online games) and King for the huge influx of Mobile Gaming Users, the numbers of which can be used to pad out 'Gamepass' numbers and avert a disaster for Xbox, Spencer and Satya.

TL;DR 120 million users is the figure being touted as a success because it means 120 millions 'xbox users' are logging onto Azure servers. That means the Xbox division is still hitting their KPI's of bringing in millions of people onto the Azure servers which is the long term strategy of Microsoft.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Ryan really likes Xbox.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I’m a bit late about MS news but yesterday something got me.

MS is really doing somehow Direct today without any new game? Just to talk about 2 DLCs and 2 games already set to release this year?

And the target date of the Direct is very fitting… a day after the bad news.

It just… it is too little… MS needs to show more.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022

MS is really doing somehow Direct today without any new game? Just to talk about 2 DLCs and 2 games already set to release this year?

Eh….

It’s more like Xbox is trying to piggyback on the regularly scheduled Bethesda reveals. Bethesda always had its own shows because they were honestly a pretty decent publisher overall outside of BGS.

It’s sorta like filler?

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Eh….

It’s more like Xbox is trying to piggyback on the regularly scheduled Bethesda reveals. Bethesda always had its own shows because they were honestly a pretty decent publisher overall outside of BGS.

It’s sorta like filler?
Yeah, the only thing in the show that might move the needle for them is Redfall.

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022

forget that, I just learned 2 of the games are multiplatform and on the PS5!

What a sad showing...

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
The positive spin I can see is that cloud computing was up 18%. If Spencer can spin that as a direct result of Xcloud and Gamepass subs, he may save his arse and Nadella's.

Some background but a little OT:

Microsoft as a company are moving to cloud services, they've hinted towards this in the past. The real money for them is Azure server farm rent, which is why they moved to a subscription service model with Office and why they're positioning themselves to attempt it with Windows.

Xbox one becoming a streaming only console is part of the plan. However, the plan has taken a knock because the Series X hasn't produced the game to convince people to upgrade OR cloud stream on the Xbone family. The Series S (S for streaming) was also going to be a hybrid local/streaming console. A cost effective console for casuals, with the ability to stream high-end games. Series X was going to be 100% local gaming for your enthusiast.

3 years ago, MS was meant to launch a 'Firestick' like device for Streaming games AND media by doing deals with Disney and Netflix (Netflix are offering games on their platform today) backed up by Microsoft's first party Tv shows like Halo. Obviously that has gone to pot because Halo has been a catastrophic failure.

Here we are today with no firestick, a streaming service not fully in place, still no clear marketing strategy of the One and Series families, IP's delayed or in ruins and a console that is having problems behind the scenes. People will tell you otherwise and they will attack me for saying this and downplay it, but the Series X is not working as intended. It is borked at the lowest levels and MS can't fix it. It's a big secret that no-one dare talk about.

So where does that leave us? It leaves us with Microsoft crowing about 120 million users because that means 120 million users logging into Azure servers. That's why that number is been shouted from the rooftops more than anything else. Satya and Spencer can bamboozle the board with that number and repeat it often enough that it seems like a huge triumph for Microsofts long term goals. Buying ABK is really the key to the plan now. More people connecting via COD, OW2 and Diablo (all forced online games) and King for the huge influx of Mobile Gaming Users, the numbers of which can be used to pad out 'Gamepass' numbers and avert a disaster for Xbox, Spencer and Satya.

TL;DR 120 million users is the figure being touted as a success because it means 120 millions 'xbox users' are logging onto Azure servers. That means the Xbox division is still hitting their KPI's of bringing in millions of people onto the Azure servers which is the long term strategy of Microsoft.

What's borked with Series X hardware? Is it something specific or are we talking about developer tools/kits, and Direct x 12 api?

Reactions: Deleted member 417
D

Deleted member 417

What's borked with Series X hardware? Is it something specific or are we talking about developer tools/kits, and Direct x 12 api?
I'm not going to pretend the details, that's not my area. All I know is that it isn't doing what was advertised and what it should be doing. It should be by far and away the most powerful console on the market, but it isn't.

If someone with more knowledge on software could dig into it, you may find the answers you're looking for.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

I'm not going to pretend the details, that's not my area. All I know is that it isn't doing what was advertised and what it should be doing. It should be by far and away the most powerful console on the market, but it isn't.

If someone with more knowledge on software could dig into it, you may find the answers you're looking for.
The SDK needs to support both Series S and Series X plus PC.
I believe there a lot more issues than devs talks about and that probably affect the potential performance of the big machine.
IMO Series S and PC hold devs to fully use Series X.

Add that the PS5 is more easy and fit to extract the peak potential... you have the actual situation even 2 years after these consoles release.
PS5 is machine with less bottlenecks too... it is strong in all fronts even if it peak GPU raw power is lower than Series X but it compensate with others areas of the GPU being faster/stronger.
Bandwidth (more per CU) and memory setup on PS5 is easy and better for management from devs.