New ps5 update replaces games key art with news and ads

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
This is horrible. Feels like my console and my games are used to advertise to me.
I want a nice game title card back. This is moving away from ps3 style and closer to xsx style...
Hell, I would say it's difficult now sometimes to even see the game title

tXeEna3.png

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
How does this even get green lighted? How incompetent does leadership has to be. Not to mention the ads apply to you even if you own the game anyways making it pointless.

Lmao not only is PS releasing first party on PC making PC the best place to play PS games, PS is increasing base prices + increasing subscription price for online like yeah good job PS continue to make PS not only the worst place to play PS games make it the most expensive while also telling gamers & PS gamers to go to PC or buy a Valve console (Steamdeck) for the same price of a PS console & get the benefit of PC w all around cheaper price long term.

What a disaster. Genuinely since the beginning of the PS5 gen it’s been bad business moves, bad business investment, bad leadership, bad vision, bad output etc it keeps going. Swear if Nintendo Switch 2 has PS4 power PS is fucked. Nintendo Switch getting essential every 3rd party that’s on PS + those exclusive Japanese/Asia game to no longer happen ie Sega & Square Enix etc. Nintendo is doubling down on its own platform, hardware & ecosystem while PS is diminishing it & tripping over its own leg. PS gonna fuck around & find out like Xbox if they keep heading this direction & once people move on they won’t comeback ie Xbox.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
When I saw "ads" I thought he meant that randomly added here ads of games you don't own or even non-gaming stuff.

Now you enter a game's page and shows you some news about this game, and related art of that specific game. These are not ads, these are just news about this game you own and whose game page you entered on purpose. Stuff like a a devlog in Space Marine 2, a recently released warbond in case of Helldivers 2, or a recent trailer in case of Elden Ring Endtree.

I think it's ok because it helps you to keep updated about a game, particularly useful and informative for the average not hardcore player who isn't following the game news super frequently. And well, it's just a page you see maybe a second before hitting "play".

I don't understand why the drama here and I don't see why then call this 'ads'. Seems that nowadays people has to complain about everything.

Regarding the quality of the artwork/image selected for the backgroud: they just released this, so the images weren't made with this in mind, so a few will look weird until they release more news of this game. Once devs release new ones will do them with this in mind, so will look/fit better.

Ico

Banned
Icon Extra
8 May 2024
this looks terrible, can we still have the game art as an option? if they wont give us the chance to have wallpapers like the ps4 at least dont mess the whole thing like this, i dare to say its even worse than xbox

OP
OP
rofif

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
When I saw "ads" I thought he meant that randomly added here ads of games you don't own or even non-gaming stuff.

Now you enter a game's page and shows you some news about this game, and related art of that specific game. These are not ads, these are just news about this game you own and whose game page you entered on purpose. Stuff like a a devlog in Space Marine 2, a recently released warbond in case of Helldivers 2, or a recent trailer in case of Elden Ring Endtree.

I think it's ok because it helps you to keep updated about a game, particularly useful and informative for the average not hardcore player who isn't following the game news super frequently. And well, it's just a page you see maybe a second before hitting "play".

I don't understand why the drama here and I don't see why then call this 'ads'. Seems that nowadays people has to complain about everything.

Regarding the quality of the artwork/image selected for the backgroud: they just released this, so the images weren't made with this in mind, so a few will look weird until they release more news of this game. Once devs release new ones will do them with this in mind, so will look/fit better.
Well we had a nice game key art before and now it's some dude from news picture on space marine 2.
Hard to even know what game you are on.

it's bad. And yes, of course it's ads too since there are ads in news. "now in cinema, now available, dlc coming out"

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
It's not ads that were added after the update.

That news feed was always there when you went down, you just never noticed because the internet didn't tell you to be angry.

• Heart
Reactions: The Icon

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
I just want a solid colour background I don't really need theatrics on a launch bar

Reactions: KvallyX

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
It's not ads that were added after the update.

That news feed was always there when you went down, you just never noticed because the internet didn't tell you to be angry.
Okay! Because I'm wondering why I haven't noticed this at all. I just set a personal background wallpaper and that's all I see outside of my usual backgrounds for games Installed.

• Informative
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
There is no update that added anything. People just don’t know how the console works

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Okay! Because I'm wondering why I haven't noticed this at all. I just set a personal background wallpaper and that's all I see outside of my usual backgrounds for games Installed.
You get a smaller version of that news feed when you click on the PS button while playing a game.

Reactions: Danja

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
UI from over a year ago

1727715892739.jpeg

Resume activity replaced that. Now that it’s been removed. News feed is back on the UI.

EDIT

Although the glitch is probably that it’s more intrusive with every game and it stays on the Home Screen longer. Because last year nobody said anything about it. So maybe that can be fixed.

Or you know, just put back resume activity how it was. If you didn’t use it for awhile the UI went back to the game art anyway.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rofif

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
There is no update that added anything. People just don’t know how the console works

It's server side

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024

If you look at the images, they aren't news for the games themselves, but of other games in the same series. For example, the FF7 Remake background shows FF7 Rebirth reviews. Star Wars Battle Front II shows Jedi Survivor news. Stuff like that.