Nobody is wishlisting Concord on Steam

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
I'm not into hero shooters, so this is not for me regardless. But when the game was introduced it felt incredibly derivative, like a discount Guardians of the Galaxy Overwatch mod.

A pure gameplay reveal with emphasys on mechanics might have gotten people more intrigued.

First impressions matter.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
how did you find that number? is the game really that big?
He's making shit up to smear the game lol.

The only budget we know of is that ProbablyMonsters raised 200 million to fund Concord and 2 other games...

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
He's making shit up to smear the game lol.

The only budget we know of is that ProbablyMonsters raised 200 million to fund Concord and 2 other games...
Yeah but for 6 years of development at an AAA studio it sounds about right. We know it cost a lot cuz it got mocap in it

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Yeah but for 6 years of development at an AAA studio it sounds about right. We know it cost a lot cuz it got mocap in it
Its definitely over 100 million, the game and what it offers doesn't give off 200 million...

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
It's hilarious how naive playstation is now days have a small budget for helldivers 2 which was a smash hit & with more money could've had plenty of content ready to keep it going strong , huge budget for concord which is a complete failure & any post launch support is just losing money

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
I did see a clip today from someone saying the budget was 100 million; it might have been an asmasgold one.
looking into it, it probably wasn't cheap but even if it was 100 million I doubt Sony funded all of that amount and that came from multiple places. seeing as they bought fire walk in April of last year. I looked up overwatch's development cost and see answers from 10 to 50 million. Depending on how much content they have down the pipeline I think 100 million is the absolute most this game probably costed. If I remember correctly Horizon Zero down costed around 50-80million to make and while this game has been in development for 6-8 years, I doubt it was fully staffed that whole time.

Anyway hopefully this game doesn't loose much money is is even a moderate success down the line but seeing these numbers is definitely somewhat alarming.
What a rollercoaster for PlayStation seeing Hell Divers 2 take off so unexpectedly big to this having such and underwhelming launch.
This game should of targeted late July when PS5 sales were surging and not have to compete with headlines about Black Myth: Wukong.

Reactions: Sircaw

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
looking into it, it probably wasn't cheap but even if it was 100 million I doubt Sony funded all of that amount and that came from multiple places. seeing as they bought fire walk in April of last year. I looked up overwatch's development cost and see answers from 10 to 50 million. Depending on how much content they have down the pipeline I think 100 million is the absolute most this game probably costed. If I remember correctly Horizon Zero down costed around 50-80million to make and while this game has been in development for 6-8 years, I doubt it was fully staffed that whole time.

I mean, of course it wasn't in full production for 8 years, Firewalk was officially founded in 2018 and you know the first year or two was really trying to get an idea of the game and acquiring funds to acquire talent.

It's probably your average triple AAA production of 4-5~ years of production costing around 100-150M.

Firewalk Studios' parent company before being acquired in 2023 by SIE was ProbablyMonsters.
It's impossible to know the publishing agreement between them and SIE and how much PM actually spent compared to SIE.
The partnership between the two entities was only announced in 2021.
It's highly likely most of the early cost was 100% being taken by PM and other potential private investors.

The actual cost to SIE would not have been nearly as high as if they had been in the driver seat for the entire time.
Also, on the acquisition front, ProbablyMonsters probably wanted out and probably sold for very little.

I don't think the cost to SIE is simple as 100-150M for 4-5 years of full prod + acquisition into something like 250M or w/e.
It's probably actually much less, even though it's still a very large net loss for them and not a good look.

And now they're looking at an asset that will not make any money for them until the release of a new game which could take like 6+ years at the minimum. Even that is just the potential to make some revenue.
It's grim for Firewalk, especially considering SIE has been in cost cutting measures in recent times.

Anyway hopefully this game doesn't loose much money is is even a moderate success down the line but seeing these numbers is definitely somewhat alarming.

It's not going to happen, nobody wants to try the game and by next week the actual numbers of players online are going to be pitifully low.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022

What a rollercoaster for PlayStation seeing Hell Divers 2 take off so unexpectedly big to this having such and underwhelming launch.
This game should of targeted late July when PS5 sales were surging and not have to compete with headlines about Black Myth: Wukong.
They need to go free to play as soon as possible.

Drop this 40-quid price tag; they will be making zip back on any of that.

Give the people who bought the game a legendary edition as compensation; give them credit, cash, extra skins, or something.

They have to open the numbers up for steam, 600 people will end up being 100 in a week, then it will be completely dead.

Saying all that, this was suggested for ages now, now idea why they did not listen or go this route.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly
27 Jun 2023
United kingdom

Give the people who bought the game a legendary edition as compensation; give them credit, cash, extra skins, or something.

They have to open the numbers up for steam, 600 people will end up being 100 in a week, then it will be completely dead.

Saying all that, this was suggested for ages now, now idea why they did not listen or go this route.
Sircaw spitting facts

Reactions: Sircaw

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

I honestly don't think this game is salvageable. F2p or not, the economics aren't there to make it long term sustainable. And it isn't bringing anything new gameplay wise to carve out a niche for itself

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I think best bet is to make it a permanent part of the ps plus essential catalog and not just a monthly freebie.

Players would need to be refunded on console. No one bought it on steam anyway. Also helps deal with pc players not needing to have plus sub to begin with. They would then need to adjust their post-launch content pipeline and monetize it.

It’s a mess. This is one of the worst launches of all time. I can’t believe I keep getting surprised with how the next big flop drops it worse than the last. Didn’t expect it from Sony either. They marketed this game more heavily than both Helldivers and Destiny also. Wild

Many games have been cancelled with better beta numbers.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
I honestly don't think this game is salvageable. F2p or not, the economics aren't there to make it long term sustainable. And it isn't bringing anything new gameplay wise to carve out a niche for itself
I think they have to do something, and making it FTP will attract a large number/influx of people.

Most people report the gunplay to be good, so it has that on its side, at least.

But yer, I am with you that I think it might not be salvageable, but they will have to try something.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
IMG-0495.jpg

IMG-0494.jpg
IMG-0493.jpg

They’re all doing bad right now. Helldivers update was sorta a flop. Destiny has a shot next week on some kind of comeback w/ Act 3 and the exotic dungeon but itll have to fight off against First Descendant’s first season starting (it’s fallen off accordingly).
Helldivers is cooked, whatever goodwill the devs had has long been lost. PSN fiasco aside the garbage balancing and nerfing of anything enjoyable made players leave in droves. Even if they release the 3rd faction no one is coming back , way to go piss of your players. I will never forgive them for the railgun nerf