Opinion: SONY not supporting Day&Date Releases on PC is wake up call for the company itself

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
It seems Sony has finally understood not to embrace Multi-platform publishing. The potential threat of damaging the longterm success of their most important electronic product the Sony Playstation, preponderates the benefits of simultaneously releases on PC.

Sony had dodged a bullet in turning into an Xbox 2.0, which numerous fanboys of different platforms have been cheering for. It actually gave me back some confidence in Sony's leadership. They are not completely routine-blinded as I have and probably many others thought so. Sacrificing the ardusouly built up reputation of Sony PlayStation over the last 30 years for lousy sales on PC, would ultimately have been the downfall of PlayStation.

It seems that the change of top executives of SIE, is talking slowly a deep change within PlayStation. I can recall how Nintendo , Xbox and PC fanboys were gloating about the possibility of Sony porting games to PC, so in order the console loses its appeal.

Thankfully Sony proved today everyone wrong.
How do you feel about Sony porting SP titles in a 2-3 years cycle to PC?

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Lets hope so, might be a little too soon to celebrate.
I cant remember seeing Nintendo fans getting involved. Im one of them lol

Also hit that enter button time to time for them paragraphs bro

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Where are you guys getting that from? I very much doubt they won't continue to move towards day and date PC release for all their games after Helldivers 2 sold more on PC than on PS5. They frame it in a way where they make it sound like there is never any side effect of porting games to PC despite all evidence of the contrary like games taking longer than ever to release and single player games having a fraction of their impact on PC compared to PS5. They still don't even bother with Denuvo, they are taking all the wrong lessons.

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
It seems Sony has finally understood not to embrace Multi-platform publishing. The potential threat of damaging the longterm success of their most important electronic product the Sony Playstation, preponderates the benefits of simultaneously releases on PC.

Sony had dodged a bullet in turning into an Xbox 2.0, which numerous fanboys of different platforms have been cheering for. It actually gave me back some confidence in Sony's leadership. They are not completely routine-blinded as I have and probably many others thought so. Sacrificing the ardusouly built up reputation of Sony PlayStation over the last 30 years for lousy sales on PC, would ultimately have been the downfall of PlayStation.

It seems that the change of top executives of SIE, is talking slowly a deep change within PlayStation. I can recall how Nintendo , Xbox and PC fanboys were gloating about the possibility of Sony porting games to PC, so in order the console loses its appeal.

Thankfully Sony proved today everyone wrong.

This shit isn't over. We should not rejoice too soon.
JsIki8X.jpg

• they're_right_you_know
  • angry
Reactions: Diah and Kokoloko

J_Paganel

30 Jan 2024
This still hits the PS5 and the PS brand hard.

They've already destroyed the expensive Only on Playstation brand for the sake of miserable sales, and cut off a significant portion of buyers who are now waiting for PC ports, and most of them won't even pay for the games.

Also, there won't be a flood of new users towards the end of the PS5 generation and the beginning of the PS6 generation who would be attracted by a large number of system sellers for a reduced price, as was the case with the PS4.

Any port of a non-game service is a big strike against PS.

Sloane_Ranger

Icon Extra
3 Jul 2023
I think 2-3 years for SP is fine. And when I say SP, I mean any title that can be played SP even if their is coop or MP also available. At thst point the majority of folks on console would have played, and they can then expand their sales with a fresh player base.

Reactions: Eternal_Wings
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Where are you guys getting that from? I very much doubt they won't continue to move towards day and date PC release for all their games after Helldivers 2 sold more on PC than on PS5. They frame it in a way where they make it sound like there is never any side effect of porting games to PC despite all evidence of the contrary like games taking longer than ever to release and single player games having a fraction of their impact on PC compared to PS5. They still don't even bother with Denuvo, they are taking all the wrong lessons.
Well it's of course speculation. But still Sony will draw their own conclusions. They will notice that MP/Live Service games ≠ SP titles. Both use and operate on different metrics. They know how their SP releases and Live Service titles do perform differently. Therefore I am confident they won't make the mistake releasing simultaneous on PC.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
But they didn't change anything. Both the "day and date" sides and the "abandon PC" are just wishful thinking. Sony will keep releasing single player games on PC once they are near EOLstatus in console.
True PC porting will continue to accompany Sony. But also Sony supporting Day&Date is far fetched imo.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Sony didn't change anything about their multiplatform strategy they had for years, which continues forward:
  • Focusing on PS as their main platform, continuing to growth its related business in basically all areas
  • To port old SP PS Studios games to PC that were released originally (not counting remasters/remakes) on PS around a couple years or more ago
  • To release some GaaS day one on PC
  • To continue releasing Bungie games and DLC day one in all platforms including rival consoles
  • To coninue developing MLB The Show, published by MLB on rival consoles
  • To continue working on mobile games, mostly via partnerships with top Asian mobile devs
Nothing leaded to think they were going to publish their SP games day one on PC, or at least nothing leaded to think it would be something to be announced today or this year.

It's something they could do maybe many years in the future if their own PC PSN store becomes successful enough and features cross-buy/cross-save with all games in console, and aren't happy enough with their 1st party PC performance (right now must be more than happy since apparently it's outperforming their forecast), or if PS6 tanks (something it won't happen).

1200px-Winners_Don%27t_Use_Drugs.svg.png

Reactions: Evilms

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
They frame it in a way where they make it sound like there is never any side effect of porting games to PC despite all evidence of the contrary like games taking longer than ever to release and single player games having a fraction of their impact on PC compared to PS5.
I wonder why?

They realised the issues with games day 1 on subscription models being negative (Gamepass/PS+), but only mention lightly that the there current strategy of games coming years later on PC is working and wont change it

Last edited:
  • thinking_hard
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
But they didn't change anything. Both the "day and date" sides and the "abandon PC" are just wishful thinking. Sony will keep releasing single player games on PC once they are near EOLstatus in console.

Agree completely.

Day 1 and Abandon PC are both out of the question.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Sony didn't change anything about their multiplatform strategy they had for years, which continues forward:
  • Focusing on PS as their main platform, continuing to growth its related business in basically all areas
  • To port old SP PS Studios games to PC that were released originally (not counting remasters/remakes) on PS around a couple years or more ago
  • To release some GaaS day one on PC
  • To continue releasing Bungie games and DLC day one in all platforms including rival consoles
  • To coninue developing MLB The Show, published by MLB on rival consoles
  • To continue working on mobile games, mostly via partnerships with top Asian mobile devs
Nothing leaded to think they were going to publish their SP games day one on PC, or at least not something to be announced today or this year.

It's something they could do maybe many years in the future if their PC store becomes successful enough and aren't happy enough with their 1st party PC performance (right now must be more than happy since apparently it's outperforming their forecast), or if PS6 tanks (something it won't happen).

1200px-Winners_Don%27t_Use_Drugs.svg.png
That have been the narrative since Sony started publishing on PC. Media outlets and diverse forums were foretelling, that Sony would follow the trend for simultaneously releases.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
That have been the narrative since Sony started publishing on PC. Media outlets and diverse forums were foretelling, that Sony would follow the trend for simultaneously releases.
Sony absolutely never said that they were going to publish all their games on PC day one. They didn't even hint at it. In fact, they said multiple times that didn't plan to go day one on PC (other than Bungie and GaaS).

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
So good game sells better than bad game. More news at 11.
Lack of Denuvo on the first year will hurt their sales. Day one releases (with Denuvo) would only hurt fanboys feelings at most.
How about mentioning the elephant in the room that is game pass day one release? And folks that got like 5 years of GP dirt cheap?