Opinion: SONY not supporting Day&Date Releases on PC is wake up call for the company itself

voke

Banned
10 Jan 2023
personally, no SP games on PC EVER.

except GaaS games, just because it is different kind of games, they are only online, they need community.
I agree with this 100%. If they want to do ports, make it 3-4 years later.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I don’t think consumers are dumb enough to buy a 5 hour game at full price on steam when it’s on gamepass for both consoles and windows. Gamepass killed Microsoft game sales and Xbox’s Game division.

So, invalid comparison … gamepass is one of the biggest blunders ever.

PS - I doubt anyone actually gives a shit about hellblade tbh 😂

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Orangee

3 Mar 2024
Sony will probably never go day and date, or at least not this generation, but since the PS6 will be ARM, it might be very interesting how the porting of PS6 games will look like in the future. Will they port it to x86? Probably, but that will take tons of time and resources.

People need to understand, that this PC strategy is mostly held back by technological barriers.
Some of you guys think that Sony execs are sitting in SIE HQ disscussing which game to port next. No.
Sackboy and Returnal were not ported to PC becouse Sony thought that it will be a great business decision, but becouse both are Unreal Engine games, making the port easy and cheap to make, while developers were willing to do it.

That's why for example Demons Souls still isnt (and probably will never come to) on PC;
1 - Bluepoint is not willing to work on it.
2 - the BP game engine is not designed to work on PC. Their engine works amazing on its dedicated hardware (DSRemake is still a graphical benchmark), but many issues start appearing when you try and make a multiplatform game on it. (Which is the reason why Demon Souls Remake PS4 was cancelled) Even SOTC Remake required patches to fix some issues on PS5 AFAIR.

Going day and date would require multiple Sony studios to rewrite their game engines, which would result in months or even years of additional work and huge dip in quality.

The developers were the ones pushing for PC releases, and since Jim Ryan's strategy was to keep all the talent inside PS Studios - they had to bend the knee.
That's why there seems to be no plan for the PC strategy. Just chaotical decision making.

That's how I see It at least.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
The developers were the ones pushing for PC releases, and since Jim Ryan's strategy was to keep all the talent inside PS Studios - they had to bend the knee.
That's why there seems to be no plan for the PC strategy. Just chaotical decision making.
Why would these bitches and hos push Sony to become Xbox? They are not satisfied with success, they'd rather work for flop studios with no prestige? Let them go.

Insomniac is lucky if they made $5 from the Ratchet port.

Also, there won't be a flood of new users towards the end of the PS5 generation and the beginning of the PS6 generation who would be attracted by a large number of system sellers for a reduced price, as was the case with the PS4.
That's the biggest negative for me. That's how I started playing on PS. I got a PS2 with all the greatest hits (Sly, Ico, SOTC, FFX, Kindgom Hearts) after the PS3 was out. I was hooked after that.

That will never happen again because of PC. At the end of the gen, budget gamers won't bother.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
That's the biggest negative for me. That's how I started playing on PS. I got a PS2 with all the greatest hits (Sly, Ico, SOTC, FFX, Kindgom Hearts) after the PS3 was out. I was hooked after that.

That will never happen again because of PC. At the end of the gen, budget gamers won't bother.

Why is it a negative for a budget gamer that you don't have to buy an extra box you never actually wanted to play a handful of games? I can only understand that POV as a Sony shareholder somewhat. But as a gamer, no way.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Why is it a negative for a budget gamer that you don't have to buy an extra box you never actually wanted to play a handful of games? I can only understand that POV as a Sony shareholder somewhat. But as a gamer, no way.
Without PlayStation many of these games wouldn't even exist and they will stop being made if the market becomes just PC. There would be close to no single player AAA games without PlayStation, specially now that Xbox died.

There is an obvious reason why Sony and Nintendo stand out as publisher, all along they had the incentive to create unique experiences for their consoles.

Very few devs will want to invest a lot of money on games that can be easily pirated without a market like the console market to back them up.

$500 for 8 years of PS4 or PS3 was money very well spent and we got a bunch of great games because that platform existed.

Infinity

Veteran
18 Nov 2023
Without PlayStation many of these games wouldn't even exist and they will stop being made if the market becomes just PC. There would be close to no single player AAA games without PlayStation, specially now that Xbox died.
If there is no PlayStation, then the people would just migrate to other devices.

• haha
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Well most directors and writers dont look at it from the console war and business perspective. They just want to put their games out for as many people as they can. They would put it on Xbox and Nintendo If they could.
More platforms doesn't mean more success and more sales. Just look at most 3rd-party games, they struggle to reach half of the sales of PS exclusives. Alone in the dark is multiplat, Hellblade is multiplat, Immortals of Aveum is multiplat, most indies are multiplat. All terrible sales.

They are obviously influenced by the extremely loud discourse from Phil and his influencers. The industry is pressurized by them. Next step is saying consoles are dead and they need PC.

If there is no PlayStation, then the people would just migrate to other devices.
Yes that worked well for AAAs on mobile and cloud streaming. Billions of gamers just waiting.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023

That's just an opinion based on feelings and irrational brand attachment more than anything else (par for the course for icon era)
I just don't see 100M+ gamers vanishing out of thin air because they cannot play on their favourite walled gardened box anymore.

Didn't happen with Atari or SEGA and won't happen with Xbox gamers.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Wrong. Without PlayStation people would be limited to Switch/Mobile/PC, none of those platforms would be enough to justify anyone making games like Uncharted, GoW, TLoU. Sales of PlayStation games on PC are pathetic because half the users just pirate them.

That's just an opinion based on feelings and irrational brand attachment more than anything else. I just don't see 100M+ gamers vanishing out of thin air because they cannot play on their favourite walled gardened box anymore.

Didn't happen with Atari or SEGA and won't happen with Xbox gamers.
Incorrect. You PC players won't be able to fool us here, we know you don't care about these ports and wouldn't give a shit if these games stoped being made, you guys just hate PlayStation. I don't hate PC, I played on PC for over 25 years and started buying consoles precisely because many of the games I wanted to play were not being made for PC.

O PC there is a lot more incentive for niche, low budget and GaaS titles, that is not necessarily bad depending of your taste but it doesn't replace the types of games that exists just because of console.

If it was just up to the PC market most of my favorite game would've never being made.,

PC master races are too self centered and entitled to realize what the gaming market would be sacrificing just so their broke asses could save $400 and pirate games. But then again, MS didn't realize it and Sony is following their footsteps.

The remaining hope is a Nintendo console that is powerful enought to substitute the PlayStation platform going forward.

Last edited:

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023

There is an obvious reason why Sony and Nintendo stand out as publisher, all along they had the incentive to create unique experiences for their consoles.

Very few devs will want to invest a lot of money on games that can be easily pirated without a market like the console market to back them up.

$500 for 8 years of PS4 or PS3 was money very well spent and we got a bunch of great games because that platform existed.
it’s almost like you have to draw for these PC retards to understand, they think these games would exist if not to sell hardware…

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Moving hardware is not exclusive to single player games 😂

Polyh3dron

Veteran
31 Jan 2024
Thankfully Sony proved today everyone wrong.
Did they though? How?

Nothing in that event was about the business strategy of PlayStation outside of using their IP in other forms of media.

You're not out of the woods quite yet. The announcement of day-and-date PC game releases may very well be around the corner for PlayStation Studios.

It's always piracy with you. Many game publishers had a similar take, but that was way before Steam made the publishing of PC games a worthwhile endeavor. Those publishers came around since then, while you're stuck in 2002.
it’s almost like you have to draw for these PC retards to understand, they think these games would exist if not to sell hardware…
can you draw for me please dur dur

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Systemshock2023

Infinity

Veteran
18 Nov 2023
Wrong. Without PlayStation people would be limited to Switch/Mobile/PC, none of those platforms would be enough to justify anyone making games like Uncharted, GoW, TLoU. Sales of PlayStation games on PC are pathetic because half the users just pirate them.
just because playstation wont exist doesnt mean the people will stop gaming. They would just migrate. Triple A games will continue with or without playstation. take off those fanboy goggles. thats because playstation games are not day and date and they charge full price for old games.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I have a feeling these extremists are all new PC players, any older PC player would understand the concept that games made to cater to the PC market and games made for the console market are vastly different. PC was a lot more interesting when it was detached from consoles.

I don't see console players demanding and feeling entitled to every game that release on PC.

just because playstation wont exist doesnt mean the people will stop gaming. They would just migrate. Triple A games will continue with or without playstation. take off those fanboy goggles. thats because playstation games are not day and date and they charge full price for old games.
Good luck playing games that will stop being made.

Where are all the great single player AAA games that are PC and Xbox only?

Did they though? How?

Nothing in that event was about the business strategy of PlayStation outside of using their IP in other forms of media.

You're not out of the woods quite yet. The announcement of day-and-date PC game releases may very well be around the corner for PlayStation Studios.

It's always piracy with you. Many game publishers had a similar take, but that was way before Steam made the publishing of PC games a worthwhile endeavor. Those publishers came around since then, while you're stuck in 2002.
You are mixing up Steam with Denuvo, it's Denuvo and other effective DRM that gave these companies confidence to put their single player releases on PC. Rockstart gets it and still delays all their releases on PC, just as Sony should do if they knew any better.

It's always about piracy with PC because of how prevalent it is, what else would explain why games like God War, Spider-man, GoT, TLoU, sell so little on PC compared to PlayStation? It's either piracy or the fact that PC players rather go play some low budget games and GaaS, probably a combination of both factors.

Then a game like Helldivers 2 that can't be pirate releases and sells better than on PlayStation... pretty easy to figure out what you pirate apologists are trying to bury

Last edited:
24 Jun 2022
Not going Day 1 PC for non-GAAS titles is just the biggest bullet dodged. There are smaller bullets they still have to dodge IMO.

They need more genuine exclusives for PS5 both to satiate a segment of the core enthusiasts and to drive more folks (particularly those still on PS4) to the PS5 hardware ecosystem. Part of that also means increasing the window for ports of non-GAAS titles to at least 4-6 years for AAA non-remake traditional titles. Maybe a touch longer in some cases and some should just not likely be ported whatsoever.

AAA traditional remakes could be similar or shorter in time, just depends on the specific game and they don't need as many of those to remain exclusive as with non-remakes. AA traditional games, I could see some being the 2-3 year or 1-2 year port cycle between console & PC. Some maybe 6 months. A few maybe even Day 1. It really depends on the specific game in question and a decent enough cadence has to be suggested to where those semi-paying attention can gauge which game would fit which strategy.

With AA games I also think some could target mobile and maybe a few could be Day 1 there. I'm also not completely against the idea of Sony doing remaster collections of VERY old games to other platforms like Switch or Xbox. But we're talking things like Sly Cooper 1-3 Collection, or Jak & Daxtar 1 & 2 Collection...preferably within a year or two of some remake or sequel exclusively for PlayStation.

• brain
Reactions: Eternal_Wings