Opinion: SONY not supporting Day&Date Releases on PC is wake up call for the company itself

Infinity

Veteran
18 Nov 2023
That’s not even true, PC is more casual than consoles, the reason why PC market has been growing is all because of potato pc’s/laptops that can play forever games. Sorry to break it to you.
I'm talking about PCs that can play modern triple A games on respectable settings. Consoles are budget devices geared towards the average gamer that plays battle royals,cod or sports games.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
What's a potato PC these days? An i5 2500k with an RX 580 8GB, 16 gb of DDR3 memory and a SATA SSD it's still more powerful than most consoles available on the market today if we take Switch old Xboxes and PS4/pro into account. It even trades blows with the series S.

Abd that is an ancient CPU that can play 99 percent of games on the market specially if you give that CPU some OC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Infinity

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
What's a potato PC these days? An i5 2500k with an RX 580 8GB, 16 gb of DDR3 memory and a SATA SSD it's still more powerful than most consoles available on the market today if we take Switch old Xboxes and PS4 into account. It even trades blows with the series S.

Abd that is an ancient CPU that can play 99 percent of games on the market specially if you give that CPU some OC.

If you take into account a Texas Instruments TI-83 Plus that PC is a super computer.

If you move the goalpost just enough, this is not potato hardware
213599_4656136_1300736878704_06_first_univac_computer_c8fea7e1-f654-4f7e-a305-f34bddf52fbd-prv.jpg

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Gran Turismo 3 and 4 are the only games that sold anywhere close to big sony first party games today.
Games sales have changed alot since then for 1st party for certain ips.

Also they still had games selling 1-4 million which was considering great back then. Games like God of War 1-2, SOTC, and Playstation IP’s with partners studios like Ratchet and Clank, Getaway, Socom etc.

Most importantly Playstation had many more popular 3rd party ip’s being excluisive or timed exclusive to PS. Like GTA (Timed),
Final Fantasy 10,11,12, Kingdom Hearts (full exclusives) MGS 2 (Timed exclusive) Metal Gear Solid 3 (full exclusive), Devil May Cry, Tekken, and many more exclusives and timed exclusives that were very popular and smaller titles like Yakuza and Persona

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
It didn’t even seem like it was that long ago where even selling 500k was a success.

Now 1 million is selling 5 million. And 5 million is now 30 million 😂 (I kid… probably 10-15 milestone).

Reactions: Kokoloko
23 May 2024
I think whatever makes Sony money is what’s right for Sony. Sony can release day and date on PC and they would still be the console leader (I mean Xbox won’t even be a thing by next gen more than likely)

There is always going to be people that prefer consoles over PC, it’s just cheaper and always will be. Releasing day and date really doesn’t do nothing but boost the IP awareness and brings in garunteed money.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
There is always going to be people that prefer consoles over PC, it’s just cheaper and always will be. Releasing day and date really doesn’t do nothing but boost the IP awareness and brings in garunteed money.
Must be a coincidence that Xbox's PC strategy coincided with their decline, and that PS starts missing sales targets as they port more and more games to PC.

The missed revenue from console sales is already on the ballpark of $2B and that doesn't include all the after effects of missing revenue from store purchases, peripherals, PS Plus, etc. That's just from FY2023. Their PC strategy has not given them 2B in revenue, in fact it's probably half of that.

Reactions: JAHGamer and Box
24 Jun 2022
Argumentum ad nauseam. Major logical fallacy that because you all continue to repeat the same baseless claims that there must be some validity to the argument...

There would be clear signs that day 1 PC was eroding Xbox consoles sales, i.e. increased performance of Microsoft games in the PC space, which we haven't seen.

You're gonna ignore the 6+ million Forza Horizon 5 sold on Steam? Or the majority of SOT's 15 million (up to the PS5 port anyway) were done on Windows Store and (especially) Steam?

There are so many other factors that have clearly lead to an erosion that have been more impactful than day 1 PC.

And I've mentioned them previously. Game Pass being a big one. Bad traditional marketing, lack of consistent big mainstream AAA exclusives being two others. You can throw confusing messaging into the mix (Series S & X likely sounding too close to Xbox One S & X for a casual).

My issue is, you and a few others are pretending that Day 1 PC for all Xbox games, has had zero impact on Xbox console sales. That's just fundamentally a false assertion. Keep in mind, that MS didn't actually go fully Day 1 for all games until just before the Series X & S launched; they started the initiative in 2016 but it was gradual, and they originally only focused on the Windows Store/Microsoft Store.

It was in 2020 when they started bringing games to Steam and doing so Day 1 for all offerings. Coincidentally, the sales collapse we've seen with Xbox starting late 2022 , would have very likely started even earlier if it weren't for the combination of COVID lockdowns and incredibly scarce PS5 supply during the lockdown period. Those two things gave an artificial boost to both Xbox (specifically Series S) and Game Pass, and at this point I think MS either know this or have no choice but to accept it.

You can get GamePass for a dollar and play a game like Starfield or HiFi Rush and then immediately cancel. Hilarious that you somehow think being on PC Day 1 has an impact, but not the fact that you don't even have to pay for the games on PC... Starfield was the most played game on GamePass for months.

Not Day 1 on PC in any general term; you know I mean Day 1 on Steam, which is the case for Microsoft's games, and has been for the full slate the past four years.

PC Game Pass, Windows Store...these are things that Microsoft still have control & ownership over. If their games were simply limited to those offerings, considering how little market share Windows Store in particular has for PC gaming, then Xbox console sales would both be better.

Even if they weren't better, Microsoft would still ultimately win out in that scenario. Because, again, they own PC Game Pass and Windows Store, just like how they own Windows. They are all vested interests for Microsoft in the PC space.

Because it doesn't fit your narrative.

I'm not the one trying to spin narratives here implying Day 1 on PC (Steam) had zero impact on Xbox console sales 😉

• brain
Reactions: arvfab and Kokoloko
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I have said it countless times, that Sony is not going to do D&D for their SP. Investors literally asked the potential of pc release cannibalizing the ps platform which means they are aware of it and not doing day and date on single player games. Anyway PC and Nintendo fanboys being in shambles cause of today's positive PlayStation news. Finally no more FUD being spread by these incels on Twitter.

Thirty7ven

30 Dec 2023
You're gonna ignore the 6+ million Forza Horizon 5 sold on Steam? Or the majority of SOT's 15 million (up to the PS5 port anyway) were done on Windows Store and (especially) Steam?

And I've mentioned them previously. Game Pass being a big one. Bad traditional marketing, lack of consistent big mainstream AAA exclusives being two others. You can throw confusing messaging into the mix (Series S & X likely sounding too close to Xbox One S & X for a casual).

My issue is, you and a few others are pretending that Day 1 PC for all Xbox games, has had zero impact on Xbox console sales. That's just fundamentally a false assertion. Keep in mind, that MS didn't actually go fully Day 1 for all games until just before the Series X & S launched; they started the initiative in 2016 but it was gradual, and they originally only focused on the Windows Store/Microsoft Store.

It was in 2020 when they started bringing games to Steam and doing so Day 1 for all offerings. Coincidentally, the sales collapse we've seen with Xbox starting late 2022 , would have very likely started even earlier if it weren't for the combination of COVID lockdowns and incredibly scarce PS5 supply during the lockdown period. Those two things gave an artificial boost to both Xbox (specifically Series S) and Game Pass, and at this point I think MS either know this or have no choice but to accept it.

Not Day 1 on PC in any general term; you know I mean Day 1 on Steam, which is the case for Microsoft's games, and has been for the full slate the past four years.

PC Game Pass, Windows Store...these are things that Microsoft still have control & ownership over. If their games were simply limited to those offerings, considering how little market share Windows Store in particular has for PC gaming, then Xbox console sales would both be better.

Even if they weren't better, Microsoft would still ultimately win out in that scenario. Because, again, they own PC Game Pass and Windows Store, just like how they own Windows. They are all vested interests for Microsoft in the PC space.

I'm not the one trying to spin narratives here implying Day 1 on PC (Steam) had zero impact on Xbox console sales 😉

Most of the people I know who were Xbox fans were actually PC fans whose console of choice was Xbox, and when they went day and date they stopped buying Xbox.

PlayStation is doing no different than they have done in the past, they look at what the competition is doing and pick and choose what works for them.

SSfox

Enter The Fox
21 Jun 2022
Shadow Moses
Yeah he can talk and all but they lost all credibility

They shoot themselves with those PC ports. Way less people will buy the next PlayStation compare to before. When they will announce PS6 no one will care cause the word "exclusive" lost all it's meaning when it comes to PlayStation since Jim Ryan and Hermen Hulst took the lead.

But the next Nintendo console is another story, people will be hype about that Jurassic Hardware and you know why? because it will have real exclusives since Nintendo didn't sold their soul to Steam like Sony did.

Reactions: arvfab