OT | God of War Ragnarök - Includes spoilers!

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Nice! Please no spoilers :) and if I may ask...

I basically got to the part where Freya becomes my companion. How far along into the story am I? I think this is still early but I'm not sure. No spoilers please, just give me a ballpark

This is where I am at hour 20. Gonna knock out that area before returning to Alpheim for another side quest and then back to Sindri’s to move the story.

This is a solid area. Somewhat redeems previous chapter. After that I’m somewhat relieved that Freya replaces Atreus as your sidekick. Kinda prefer her.

I’m hoping there aren’t many more gameplay sections in which you play as Atreus. I just don’t want it.

Last edited:

Lord Mittens

Community Cat
1 Jul 2022
This is where I am at hour 20. Gonna knock out that area before returning to Alpheim for another side quest and then back to Sindri’s to move the story.

This is a solid area. Somewhat redeems previous chapter. After that I’m somewhat relieved that Freya replaces Atreus as your sidekick. Kinda prefer her.

I’m hoping there aren’t many more gameplay sections in which you play as Atreus. I just don’t want it.

I prefer this too Freya replaces Atreus as your sidekick

D

Deleted member 13

GoW:R is getting slammed on GAF compared to 2018. Is there some truth to what these guys are complaining about?

OP
OP
Satoru

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
GoW:R is getting slammed on GAF compared to 2018. Is there some truth to what these guys are complaining about?

No. The game is amazing. Better than 2018 all around.

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Just finished it and it surpassed 2018 for me. Was feeling a bit ho hum in the first 5-10 hours but it ramps up significangly and keeps adding and adding content, infinitely creative world building. Some real emotional hits as well towards the end.

Gameplay wise it is a bit improvement

Ending spoiler:
Was really teary eyed when Atreus left at the end.

The best thing is taken as two parts its an incredible journey and character arc for both Kratos and Atreus

Only issue is I don't know where they go from here.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I think they are wrong and bet they didn't played the game or only played the first few hours. Or what it's the same: they only saw reviews of some gameplay from the first couple of hours of the game.

The first first hours starts pretty similar but the game keeps constantly adding additions, layers and improvements in every area: combat, traversal, exploration, ways of telling the story, features of weapons and armor wirh different types of related skills, variations and boosts, types of character skills and features, the more mature and human tone of the story, how characters grow and evolve, the size, quality and variety of secondary missions and more features I may forget now.

NOTE: This spoiler tag includs what many would consider SPOILER
Unlike in the previous game, you're not always playing with Kratos as main character and Atreus as support character: there's like around a dozen playable characters, some only play as main, some only as support, some in both. Your main character and your support character keep changing across the main story, and sometimes you don't have support character. This means combat highly changes depending on who do you have as main or support in that moment and in fact, there are portions of the game where you don't have support, forcing you to play on another different way. Some puzzles or parts of the stages need certain skill/attack to be unlocked and since once some characters have them you must be playing with them to access or complete them, meaning that who do have as main or support character also affects your exploration/traversal/puzzles, not only the combat.

The game keeps adding very cool, great and fresh stuff until the end of the game, where I'm at now, and I skipped most optional content and side stories. I think it even adds extra stuff during this secondary content because it did in some of the side content I player, and I bet I'll add extra stuff for the end game.

The previous game was a master piece, but this one builds on top many things that improve and expand it in every way. The only downside I saw in the game is that in many puzzles one of the characters spoils you the solution with a too obvious hint too early, sometimes even just before seen it. But well, I think they may patch it letting you more time to think or even add an option to remove it or delay it as did in Forbidden West. For the PS5 users the typical animations to hide loading screens (when moving through a small corridor between rocks or walking through that space between worlds) may also be a bit annoying, but I consider that it's understandable that the game has them because it's a crossgen game and the PS4 version needs them. In any case these to issues are very minor and not worth a drama.

In terms of visuals and performance there are already videos from digital foundry and the other folks: the game looks great and even in my base PS4, where I'm playing the first time I'll complete the game, the visuals are stunning and feels very smooth at very steady 1080p 30fps. But there's something related to the lighting or materials that is a bit irregular depending on which one of the 9 worlds of the game you are: in most of them, mostly the new ones, it looks like an almost photorealistic PS8 game but instead in a few of them, that as I remember are some of the rehashed from the previous games, even if they are redone with important changes they look old. Same goes with characters: some look stunning but others have a face or hair that doesn't look or that maybe didn't make a great performance when acting (or were done during covid lockdowns without mocap). With characters Forbidden West did a great job.

I saw that some players complained about difficulty being too high in some optional bosses/areas. Bosses that are designed for the end game, but that if you have the proper knowledge with some skill can be killed with the tools you have almost at the start of the game once you lean the basics: some enemies are better to fight them from the distance and other ones with close combat. Some things like attacking from behind provide extra stun, there's the typical elemental stuff weakeness that here even you can cause it: like to attack with ice to freeze an enemy using the axe to later deal extra damage with the fire of the blades of chaos. Also learning to properly use the different defensive mechanics etc. They basically complain about difficulty because didn't learn to play the game enough even at its basics and because still didn't unlock many things and didn't upgrade enough to make their life easier against these optional high level bosses.

For what I played (around 30 hours) the game deserves the 94 metacritic. Once you played several hours it feels like an instant classic: the quality bar in basically everything is super high and it has many wow moments, not only because of twists but in terms of very cool fantasy stuff that appears in the game like certain huge creatures, certain unusual 'vehicles' from that mythology, certain spectacular locations or boss fights.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Deleted member 13

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
Imagine using DSP to show off your game design, skip to 38 min if timestamp not working

P

peter42O

What were the complaints?

15 hours in, I have a few complaints with the game but overall, it will still end up being MY 2022 game of the year and my #1 game of the generation thus far, however, I can't argue those who say that the game is similar to 2018 because in nearly every way thus far, it is but that's not a bad thing unless you didn't like/enjoy 2018. Of course, if someone didn't like 2018 then why would they be playing Ragnarok? I do believe that there are some improvements and whatnot but the difference is that it's still more of the same which again, isn't a bad thing especially for me but the main thing is that while everything in Ragnarok thus far is still excellent for the most part, it just doesn't have the impact of 2018 because back then, it's Santa Monica rebooting God of War to fit the Sony template and formula going from an overhead/isometric action hack and slash game to a more slow paced methodical third person adventure game with RPG elements. And Santa Monica was coming off Ascension and a cancelled project so Ragnarok doesn't have the impact that 2018 did.

In the end, it simply comes down to if you're a fan of the Sony template like I am and have enjoyed the majority of their games since the second half of the PlayStation 3 generation, then chances are, you'll love Ragnarok. Nothing is going to sway you to all of a sudden dislike it. And if you're someone who didn't enjoy those games since then, then nothing is going to sway you to all of a sudden like it.

Like every game, it's all personal preference. Nothing more and nothing less.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Deleted member 13
P

peter42O

I can't open these links, staff still posting links I can see thumbnails for but will not allow me to click through to full versions, I get a site error

Same here. I can read most of it but damn, it's small. lol

Reactions: Nym and AniWeeb
P

peter42O

None of the complaints there apply to me, at least not yet anyway. I'm only 12 hours in or so and my only major complaint is in regards to the combat/camera. You have to face an enemy in order to attack them so if an enemy is behind me, I have to turn both analog sticks in order to get the character and the camera facing the enemy behind me in order to attack them where as in a game like AC Origins/Odyssey, if an enemy is behind me, I can simply move down using the left analog stick and attack that enemy.

Remains to be seen how the rest of the game plays out for me but I have a long ways to go yet.

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
I can't open these links, staff still posting links I can see thumbnails for but will not allow me to click through to full versions, I get a site error
Same here. I can read most of it but damn, it's small. lol
Strange you should be able to click them, If not right click them on PC and open in new window.
On mobile just clicking the Image and zooming in if needed to read.
If none of that works contact @Darth Vader with a screen shot of the error and he will do his best to fix it. (y) :cool:

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

LOL.... these people are so predictable. They all had issues with 2018 too when it came out....

Most of these people are trolls or have a motive to undermine the game and it is obvious.

I completed the game (main story) this morning and the Atreus focused sections are definitely the slowest but they also have some great moments and it really tells me something about these people that many of them would praise RDR2 and it's bar scene (Lenny?!) and then have a problem with certain sections of GOWR.

I was COMPLETELY addicted to playing, I played every hour till I finished, I have not even slept in almost 2 days because I was so into the game and also so I wouldnt get spoiled.

The game constantly has jaw dropping and incredibly imaginative scenes and mechanics and many surprises hidden for you, so when you go and do something you've done 50 times before..... BAM, they get you with something you didn't expect.

The story is more complicated than 2018, you need to get to know more characters or it simply wouldn't work, so you absolutely need slower sections and you need to get to know the villains too and that requires smart storytelling.

If you liked 2018, this is more, bigger and better.... it knows what it is.... the tone is consistent and the characters, combat, missions and spectacle are just the highest tier you can get, bar none.

Lord Mittens

Community Cat
1 Jul 2022
Its an incredible experience and I like what they did here, it does improve on everything 2018 did I feel.

Gimme some sweet sweet new game plus now please

Theap99

Banned
21 Jun 2022
I'm pretty torn on how to feel about this game. I'm like 14ish hours in I think, I'm currently with
Freya playing as kratos in Drawfheim looking to acquire the weapon needed to get kill heimdell

The production level and qualities are absolutely off the chart.

The combat is very amazing and probably the best I've experienced. Great bosses and enemy variety as well.

The story, has my interest and has me intrigued. Very high stakes and I don't mind the character switches.

But I there's something with the pacing coupled with the story and places you go, and why you go there that just I don't think is clicking with me. Like I feel as if this game is too big for its own sake and there were too many cooks in the kitchen.

I'll have see how things resolute and buildup to, and I've been loving my time with the game, I just question how this was made. Too many things going on. Maybe going with the original plan of having a trilogy would've been better.

Reactions: Bryank75

Lord Mittens

Community Cat
1 Jul 2022
I'm pretty torn on how to feel about this game. I'm like 14ish hours in I think, I'm currently with
Freya playing as kratos in Drawfheim looking to acquire the weapon needed to get kill heimdell

The production level and qualities are absolutely off the chart.

The combat is very amazing and probably the best I've experienced. Great bosses and enemy variety as well.

The story, has my interest and has me intrigued. Very high stakes and I don't mind the character switches.

But I there's something with the pacing coupled with the story and places you go, and why you go there that just I don't think is clicking with me. Like I feel as if this game is too big for its own sake and there were too many cooks in the kitchen.

I'll have see how things resolute and buildup to, and I've been loving my time with the game, I just question how this was made. Too many things going on. Maybe going with the original plan of having a trilogy would've been better.

Certainly not a DLC eh?

P

peter42O

If you liked 2018, this is more, bigger and better.... it knows what it is.... the tone is consistent and the characters, combat, missions and spectacle are just the highest tier you can get, bar none.

I would say that this sums up GOWR perfectly.