OT | God of War Ragnarök - Includes spoilers!

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Agree one game was enough.

The pacing and execution wasn’t right.

There was no need for some of the middle sections like Ironwood and the Mask piece collecting. Boring and not needed.

Instead the Ragnarok War/Finale should have been fattened up.

The finale felt rushed like you said and considering it was a game about Ragnarok cannot be forgiven.

Still a great game but most I would give it is a 9.

Uncharted 2 and TLOU1 are still the best games ever made by Sony so Naughty Dog is still Number 1 for me.

Sony Santa Monica are number 2 with Insomniac breathing down their necks at number 3.
Just want to say I disagree about something here. The game is NOT “about” Ragnarok. It’s about relationships, choices, the idea of fate, how you react to things you can’t control etc. Ragnarok is just the backdrop. There doesn’t need to be a longer version of the event because the characters get to where they need to be before the ending. A long drawn out plot point would be a complete waste of time.

The game is very character driven, which is one of its great strengths.

OP
OP
Satoru

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Just want to advertise for the monthly SS competition, i think people might have a lot of GoWR pictures.
Feel free to use them but if you think they have something spoiler'ish just use the spoiler tags.
Some nice prices there, and remember IE subscribers can add two entries.

I said I wasn't going to do Sony games, but this is the only non-spreadsheet game I played in the past month, so I'll add a couple of screenshots there today or tomorrow.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
So the reason why the Atreus portions drag the game down as a whole…

You spend all this time buildcrafting Kratos and refining your armor and combat approach. You get deeper into it the higher the difficulty as well due to the investment in buildcrafting having a bigger pay off.

To then have all of that thrown out the window when you’re playing as Atreus. It works against the game and is only there to serve narrative. It’s weak… that and his combat abilities are lame, boring, crap, etc…

I’m at 46 hours on give me no mercy. Still haven’t cleared the campaign yet. I assume the crater was mostly supposed to be an endgame area but I cleaned it out. It was pretty good. I would’ve preferred zero day and night cycle puzzles but the layers of depth and complexity to that zone was solid overall.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryank75

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Completed the story today. What an epic ride. Easily one of the best games ever made and by far the best of the year.

As I've done most of the stuff along the way, I only have the endgame things to do and maybe one or two collectibles I might have missed.

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Decided to finish it this morning.

Great game.

52 hours in Give me no mercy difficulty. About 58% with trophy progress. Gonna play some more for one more week before I put it away.

Ezekiel

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
55 hours
100% Done
Give Me Balance difficulty
Platinum trophy
All trolls, all dragons, Berserker king, Gna
All weapon tiers unlocked

Here's my take :

It's a great game, insane amount of enemy variety, awesome visuals and diversity in the locales, because you get to visit all 9 realms.

I fortunately wasn't spoiled, so was really surprised when I got to play as Atreus, and later on having different companions (Freya, Sindri, Brok, Thrud, Angrboda, Thor).

GoW 2018 was a true groundbreaking game, that reinvigorated life in the franchise, gave Kratos an interesting arc. The main story was simple, the characters complex. It truly was lightning in a bottle.

I can't help but feel like Ragnarok ended up being less than the sum of it's parts. It's undeniable that the enemy variety and locations variety were greatly increased, but the story and characters motivations felt wrong and unfocused. I think the writing could have been improved. Some of the dialog, especially Atreus, was cringy.

Also, once Ragnarok actually happens, everything is wrapped up rather quickly, compared to the rest of the game. The first game made a big deal out of Thor and Odin, how evil they are, but I felt like this game painted them like reasonable people, I don't know if that was deliberate, but it felt weird that the characters hated them so much and wanted to have Ragnarok.

My main gripe though, is very much a missed opportunity : YOU DON'T GET TO HAVE Mjolnir as a weapon! Seriously? 😁

We get to see Thor move it around, so the move set is already in place.

It could have been used for puzzles, the electricity, the strength to break walls, etc. We would have fire (blades of Chaos), ice (Leviathan axe) and electricity (Mjolnir).

They teased it in the secret ending of the first game. The weapon has the same design has the blades and axe...

So yeah, the spear was fine, but how can you not give the player Mjolnir? It could have been the 'holy shit' moment, like in GoW 2018 when you get the blades half way in the game.

I can't give it the 10/10

Last edited:

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
55 hours
100% Done
Platinum trophy
All trolls, all dragons, Berserker king, Gna

Here's my take :

It's a great game, insane amount of enemy variety, awesome visuals and diversity in the locales, because you get to visit all 9 realms.

I fortunately wasn't spoiled, so was really surprised when I got to play as Atreus, and later on having different companions (Freya, Sindri, Brok, Thrud, Angrboda, Thor).

GoW 2018 was a true groundbreaking game, that reinvigorated life in the franchise, gave Kratos an interesting arc. The main story was simple, the characters complex. It truly was lightning in a bottle.

I can't help but feel like Ragnarok ended up being less than the sum of it's parts. It's undeniable that the enemy variety and locations variety were greatly increased, but the story and characters motivations felt wrong and unfocused. I think the writing could have been improved. Some of the dialog, especially Atreus, was cringy.

Also, once Ragnarok actually happens, everything is wrapped up rather quickly, compared to the rest of the game. The first game made a big deal out of Thor and Odin, how evil they are, but I felt like this game painted them like reasonable people, I don't know if that was deliberate, but it felt weird that the characters hated them so much and wanted to have Ragnarok.

My main gripe though, is very much a missed opportunity : YOU DON'T GET TO HAVE Mjolnir as a weapon! Seriously? 😁

We get to see Thor move it around, so the move set is already in place.

It could have been used for puzzles, the electricity, the strength to break walls, etc. We would have fire (blades of Chaos), ice (Leviathan axe) and electricity (Mjolnir).

They teased it in the secret ending of the first game. The weapon has the same design has the blades and axe...

So yeah, the spear was fine, but how can you not give the player Mjolnir? It could have been the 'holy shit' moment, like in GoW 2018 when you get the blades half way in the game.

I can't give it the 10/10
you should hide some spoilers, like that weapon? like what happens with companions? and etc.. half of the text should be unders spoiler tag.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Eh, the longer we wait the more acceptable open spoilers are.

I’d keep the ending protected a bit still tho but that’s about it.

I wouldn’t keep the Atreus playable portions secret tho. It’s the worst part of the game…

Reactions: Jim Ryan

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
For those have completed it and then some…

So just did Brok’s funeral. Umm, I assume that’s the legit ending? I mean it got a fade to black credits roll. And wow … umm wtf … “a hole gets deeper” … dark tones with that. They’re setting up follow ups let’s go!

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
For those have completed it and then some…

So just did Brok’s funeral. Umm, I assume that’s the legit ending? I mean it got a fade to black credits roll. And wow … umm wtf … “a hole gets deeper” … dark tones with that. They’re setting up follow ups let’s go!

Ezekiel

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
you should hide some spoilers, like that weapon? like what happens with companions? and etc.. half of the text should be unders spoiler tag.
I thought the point of having a thread titled 'Includes spoilers' was because we could talk about spoilers...

I'll edit a spoiler tag, but I think anyone opening this thread should fully know what to expect.

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
So about the ravens

umm holy shit. Just beat the Raven queen and found the real tyr! Wtf? So if I did this before beating the campaign does that effect anything. Oh shit son

Lord Mittens

Community Cat
1 Jul 2022
So about the ravens

umm holy shit. Just beat the Raven queen and found the real tyr! Wtf? So if I did this before beating the campaign does that effect anything. Oh shit son

I dont think so,
as it was a part of Asgard that fell, so Tyr was in Asgard this whole time it seems.

OP
OP
Satoru

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
So about the ravens

No. Tyr is in Alfheim because of the fall of Asgard, in this case a prison that fell there. You don't need to beat the raven queen to find him, I just did it myself yesterday. And no, you can't do it before end game.

OP
OP
Satoru

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Wanted to add.

Fighting Gna is... Incredible, and incredibly frustrating. I'd challenge anyone that claims this game is a button masher to actually try and beat this boss with button mashing, even in normal difficulty. Please show us your skills.