Phil Spencer admits defeat in console space, and doesn't think great games would help Xbox's market share.

LED

Twitter Legend
26 Jun 2022
He admitted defeat, I mean, how can anyone compete against Sony in the console market? We want a better Sony.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
If this generation went as xbox and its fans thought it was going at the very start they’d be signing a different tune.

Halo dropped the ball. If it didn’t disappoint and continued the positive trend in games and gamespass you can very much guarantee Spencer would be spewing different kinds of bullshit.

Conversely, God of War Ragnarok did for PS5 what Halo Infinite could not for xbox… it put a rocket ship on the PS5.

Phil Spencer is full of shit and a lazy jerkoff.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
He admitted defeat, I mean, how can anyone compete against Sony in the console market? We want a better Sony.

I would argue that i do want a better more interesting/unpredictable sony. But Third party developers with F2P big titles, and paid big titles are keeping them on their toes.

I think Capcom has been making heads turn. I thought Exo-Primal was more fun than it should be.

I mean Nintendo does what they do, and I think Sony will do what they do and if the games fail, or sales slow down they will make something else and pivot. I think owning all these unique studios they have partnered with is part of that strategy of being nimble and overing a wide swath of the industry game wise.

Reactions: LED

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023

Christian Bale Oooo GIF

• they're_right_you_know
  • fire
Reactions: LED and Bryank75

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
this is not sport to compete. it business. you can compare numbers, but you shouldn't be butthurt over numbers like xbox is.
it is clear, it is run by small dick energy, looking at big dick energy sony and instead of making cool, good things with small and grew to medium, they just jerk off around and play victim.
you can clearly see what consoles is all about - convenient and games. that should be your goal. but no, they dancing around the games like it is a bi product of console.
and Phil comes out and says, great games don't matter. i imagine, his talk is perfectly in line with their other products, where they monopolize market and making shit products, so, good, great, doesn't matter. it is clearly their goal here too.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
this is not sport to compete. it business. you can compare numbers, but you shouldn't be butthurt over numbers like xbox is.
it is clear, it is run by small dick energy, looking at big dick energy sony and instead of making cool, good things with small and grew to medium, they just jerk off around and play victim.
you can clearly see what consoles is all about - convenient and games. that should be your goal. but no, they dancing around the games like it is a bi product of console.
and Phil comes out and says, great games don't matter. i imagine, his talk is perfectly in line with their other products, where they monopolize market and making shit products, so, good, great, doesn't matter. it is clearly their goal here too.
Funny that Phil always pretends to be above the console war but he himself (as well as his company) always use console war rhetoric, "losing a generation", "getting outconsoled", bragging about beating Sony on specific markets on financial reports, directly taking digs at the competition on twitter and so on. The sole reason why Xbox exist is the console war mentality because the product itself hasn't made sense in a long time.

For as much as Xbox cries about exclusives they were the ones that started highlighting it on their presentations with the narrations of "exclusive world premiere", "console exclusive", etc. Now they get mad when Sony does that with Final Fantasy.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Funny that Phil always pretends to be above the console war but he himself (as well as his company) always use console war rhetoric, "losing a generation", "getting outconsoled", bragging about beating Sony on specific markets on financial reports, directly taking digs at the competition on twitter and so on. The sole reason why Xbox exist is the console war mentality because the product itself hasn't made sense in a long time.

For as much as Xbox cries about exclusives they were the ones that started highlighting it on their presentations with the narrations of "exclusive world premiere", "console exclusive", etc. Now they get mad when Sony does that with Final Fantasy.
Yep. Everything they do backfires. Gamepass backfired into PS+. Rise of the Tomb Raider backfired in the multitude of moneyhats Sony make. There's not a single thing Xbox ever did that didn't backfired.

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA

Well when you realize the sole reason Microsoft launched Xbox was to try to hurt Sony because Ken Kutaragi made an offhand comment about potentially launching the PS2 OS for computers someday, it makes a lot more sense. They saw an up-and-coming brand, they heard rumors of competition, and they set out to try to quash a potential competitor by hurting them in their main field. It's why they tried to buy Nintendo first. lol

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Well when you realize the sole reason Microsoft launched Xbox was to try to hurt Sony because Ken Kutaragi made an offhand comment about potentially launching the PS2 OS for computers someday, it makes a lot more sense. They saw an up-and-coming brand, they heard rumors of competition, and they set out to try to quash a potential competitor by hurting them in their main field. It's why they tried to buy Nintendo first. lol
Yep. They had no real plan, no vision, they just wanted to drive PS out of business and, fortunately, failed to do so.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Things Xbox fanboys have said during this generation

Early 2020 - "Xbox is firing on all cylinders. You're prepared to compete against Sony during the next generation."
Late 2020 - "Microsoft finally has studios. They're going to be a major threat this generation."
Late 2020 - "PlayStation 4 barely had any games within the first 3 years. Microsoft will be ok."
Early 2022 - "Sony is in trouble. The Xbox has no games narrative is dead. Microsoft is making aggressive moves with acquisitions and nothing is going to stop them."
Mid 2022 - "Xbox Series S was a great decision by Microsoft. It's outselling PlayStation 5 in North America and in the UK. It's even doing better in Japan"

Now
- ABK deak will likely fail.
- They have yet to release a major exclusive to attract gamers since Forza Horizon 4.
- Now Phil's words today.

I think Xbox has put out some good games this generation in Hi-Fi Rush, Deathloop, Forza Horizon 4, and Pentiment - but these titles don't hold a candle to what Sony and Nintendo are doing when it comes to attracting gamers to their platform.
100%

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
Yep. They had no real plan, no vision, they just wanted to drive PS out of business and, fortunately, failed to do so.
It's still so wild to me though. "Crazy Ken" Kutaragi was known for making wildly speculative comments like that, even if there was no real intent or possibility to do so. He was notorious for it. How insecure and anti-competitive do you need to be to hear that comment and then actually decide you need to destroy them before they become a competitor? Crazy.

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Things Xbox fanboys have said during this generation

Early 2020 - "Xbox is firing on all cylinders. You're prepared to compete against Sony during the next generation."
Late 2020 - "Microsoft finally has studios. They're going to be a major threat this generation."
Late 2020 - "PlayStation 4 barely had any games within the first 3 years. Microsoft will be ok."
Early 2022 - "Sony is in trouble. The Xbox has no games narrative is dead. Microsoft is making aggressive moves with acquisitions and nothing is going to stop them."
Mid 2022 - "Xbox Series S was a great decision by Microsoft. It's outselling PlayStation 5 in North America and in the UK. It's even doing better in Japan"

Now
- ABK deak will likely fail.
- They have yet to release a major exclusive to attract gamers since Forza Horizon 4.
- Now Phil's words today.

I think Xbox has put out some good games this generation in Hi-Fi Rush, Deathloop, Forza Horizon 4, and Pentiment - but these titles don't hold a candle to what Sony and Nintendo are doing when it comes to attracting gamers to their platform.
They were so confident before the gen started for some reason. They were so sure that the 12TF spec win would make a big difference and not only it didn't make any difference but it also failed to perform better than the PS5 in practice. The Series S was a also another massive failure, even with a console that costs $259 they still get destroyed by the $499 PS5.

Deathloop released first on PlayStation, was released first on PS+, it made no difference that Xbox owned Bethesda, same goes for Ghostwire.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
It's still so wild to me though. "Crazy Ken" Kitaragi was known for making wildly speculative comments like that, even if there was no real intent or possibility to do so. He was notorious for it. How insecure and anti-competitive do you need to be to hear that comment and then actually decide you need to destroy them before they become a competitor? Crazy.
But it's true, though, as I recall, MS freaked out because sony was taking over the living room and that prompted them into creating the Xbox. Yep, they wanted to prevent Sony for being a driving force in hardware and dominating the people's minds.
And tbh, they were really shortsighted. They should've been focused on becoming Apple's main competition in the phone market.
But guess what, they failed at both lmao.

stebin alex

25 Oct 2022
This shit again so annoying. Publishers need to sell games, they will provide the pressure. We don't need Xbox at all for any of that. It's useless fearmongering.
I'm sorry, if my post is Fear mongering, just posting my thoughts out there. But the gaming industry is healthy when we have all three companies fighting it out and creating great games for us.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I'm sorry, if my post is Fear mongering, just posting my thoughts out there. But the gaming industry is healthy when we have all three companies fighting it out and creating great games for us.
There is nothing healthy about what Xbox is doing. It's actually damaging because games don't sell on their ecosystem and all the talent is leaving the studios. The mass consolidation they started also made online discussions incredibly toxic and violent.

Activision had a great working condition with Sony and now it's in the gutter. Everyday Xbox attacks Sony in the media. It's a shitshow everywhere.

Mobile is better competition than them.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Funny thing is, Phil said that exclusives don't matter, but later they started abusing Exclusive word everywhere . It lost its meaning on their console. Maybe that's their goal was to diminish the word.

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
There is nothing healthy about what Xbox is doing. It's actually damaging because games don't sell on their ecosystem and all the talent is leaving the studios. The mass consolidation they started also made online discussions incredibly toxic and violent.

Activision had a great working condition with Sony and now it's in the gutter. Everyday Xbox attacks Sony in the media. It's a shitshow everywhere.

Mobile is better competition than them.
Xbox was able to impose paid online when we were in one of the most competitive generations ever. They charged for F2P for an entire generation while in last place while Sony didn't ever do it. Pretty much every studio that partnered with Xbox has come out worse on the other side. Despite being in last place since forever they are the one feeding the most toxic fan base and engaging in console war.

There is no PlayStation equivalent of Colt Eastwood, Jez, Klobrille, etc, getting any support or visibility from Sony.

Funny thing is, Phil said that exclusives don't matter, but later they started abusing Exclusive word everywhere . It lost its meaning on their console. Maybe that's their goal was to diminish the word.
He always says what he thinks people want to hear (until this last interview at least) but acts in the way that is most convenient for him regardless of what he has already publicly stated.

"When everybody plays, we all win!" - Phil Spencer, right before buying Bethesda and removing all their future games from PlayStation.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
What Playstation does is harder than it looks. We kinda take it for granted that even a B-tier PS team like Bend is still gonna have excellent gameplay feel, high quality mocap performances, smooth frame rate, etc.

Most of the teams at big publishers can't pull this off anymore.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Cross posting from another thread

Tinfoil hat theory:

So thought i had about Phil complaining about competitors making deals. So a few months ago we all know the CMA dropped console concerns right? And sony had a rebuttle and they were very upset, going as far as to say the CMA was irrational right? So here's my tinfoil hat theory.:

With backdrop that the CMA dropped console concerns, Sony got really worried and signed some BIG third party exclusives to save face for when the CMA was supposed to approve the activsion deal. We also know Sony took about a billion from their current acquisitions budget from 5.1 to like 3.7 or something. So...whered the money go? They said its to focus on internal first party studios, but im thinking they used a little over a billion of funds set aside for acquisitions for big third party deals.

I do not expect something as big as say a gta 6, but say they did. Say they paid take 2 one billion dollars for a year timed exclsuive gta 6. That would cover about 12-14 million sales worth of 70.00 games sold on xbox. Now assume gta 6 comes out at the end of 2024, whats the installed bases going to look like? PS5 close to 70 million, xbox mayyybe 30 million? Now would all 30 million buy gta? Would 1/3? Maybe. And maybe thats what 1 billion could cover.

Again this is a tinfoil hat theory and i dont believe sony or anyone could get gta 6 console exclusivity, but just something to think about in the context of Phil complaining about compeitiors making deals. Unless he's that upset about Final fantasy of all things.