Phil Spencer admits defeat in console space, and doesn't think great games would help Xbox's market share.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
If only MS had been defeated before they instituted paid online and doomed us with this whole focus on services.

Better late than ever, please leave the console space for good. Xbox is unsalvageable, there is nothing that can be done at this point.

This sounds like a serious matter. Nadella is probably not amused that they won’t get Activision Blizzard. This may have been the last opportunity to turn around the tides but that’s likely the end for Xbox. I think that Microsoft will announce they will quit the console business after the Activision Blizzard officially fell through. There is no more scenario where it would make financially sense for Microsoft to pursue a dead business for them. Console wars is over and I believe they will become a 3rd Part Publisher even before the generation ends!
Xbox was never what was giving Nadella the confidence to invest in that division. It has always been about GaaS, Gamepass and cloud. Now it just has become undeniable that Xbox makes no sense, they are unable to string people along at this point.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
The beaten and emotionally abused housewives are in love again.

I will always love @David Jaffe for that one... not that I didn't already! haha

video games easter egg GIF by Channel Frederator

(you have a gif Jaffe! )

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
With him complaining about "competitors making a very discrete focus on doing deals and other things that make being Xbox hard for us, as a team." I wonder if its more than final fantasy that hes upset about? Like i wonder if sony has some pretty big gets weve yet to see?
With that statement he better not announce any time-exclusive ever again. Ravenlok and Benedict Fox just came out too fucking hypocrite (both games are trash btw).

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Just try to picture this guy taking up the stage again to announce a new console, it hard to even imagine that given how absurd it sounds.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
This sounds like a serious matter. Nadella is probably not amused that they won’t get Activision Blizzard. This may have been the last opportunity to turn around the tides but that’s likely the end for Xbox. I think that Microsoft will announce they will quit the console business after the Activision Blizzard officially fell through. There is no more scenario where it would make financially sense for Microsoft to pursue a dead business for them. Console wars is over and I believe they will become a 3rd Part Publisher even before the generation ends!

That's what I thought when I saw the DF article about how cloud gaming had come so far... laying the groundwork for some change in direction for Xbox / msft gaming?

• brain
Reactions: Eternal_Wings

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
There is blood in the water, Phil is about to go the way of Don Mattrick and when that happens he will become enemy number one of the Xbot army.

If the game is not good enough, CANCEL IT before announcing it
They had not released a AAA game in 1 and a half years. They clearly can tell a bad game from a good game as well, Phil Spencer still seems to think bugs were the problem with Redfall.

Remember when that internal review of TLoU Part I from MS came out and they couldn't believe how good it was? It haven't got any better for them since then.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

stebin alex

25 Oct 2022
As a PS fan, this is very, very bad for all gamers, Man we need an MS or Nintendo to compete with SONY/PS to create great software, great hardware/technology and at competing prices. Without them, I think we can PS becoming more anticompetitive.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
As a PS fan, this is very, very bad for all gamers, Man we need an MS or Nintendo to compete with SONY/PS to create great software, great hardware/technology and at competing prices. Without them, I think we can PS becoming more anticompetitive.
This shit again so annoying. Publishers need to sell games, they will provide the pressure. We don't need Xbox at all for any of that. It's useless fearmongering.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Why? The stakes are too high for Nintendo and Sony to become anti-competitive.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Please don't fall for Microsoft's underdog narrative. Spencer is speaking directly to regulators with this nonsense.

He's trying to garner widespread sympathy and support.
Yes this could also be a desperate attempt to appeal to remaining regulators that they need ABK. I wouldn’t be surprised tbh. Microsoft got caught more than one time lying and deceiving people.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
"Activision is not the strategy, it's a catalyst"

Xbox has been floundering for 10 years. If it can't get its shit together without buying the world's largest publisher, why should it exist? Why is Microsoft entitled to a foothold in gaming?

Nitro

10 Apr 2023
North Pole
Phil could give a master class in performance arts. Xbox are a healthy 3rd place. They are embracing the 'uncertain future' narrative for the remaining regulatory oversight window, and to encourage senators to come bat for them.

People on Twitter are having fun with it, but they should not fool themselves into believing a word of what he says.

He was facing legit criticism 24 hours ago. Now he's got people crying for him.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Seriously Publishers and companies aren't even giving a fuck about the competition, most games are multiplat and we get these bad performing, half assed games and on occasion really good ones. That will happen with or without Microsoft being in the picture. Sony first party games will still mostly be golden because thts just in their DNA. Yes, competition is good, brings better pricing at times but Nintendo will still be there (competition hasn't changed Nintendos pricing btw, they give two fucks) If anything Microsoft is just fucking shit up with their back door policies, money hatting bs and behind the scenes talks with devs.