Phil Spencer and Sarah Bond visiting Square Enix

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
So you think Sony has poorly managed and you think Square Enix is poorly managed, but you're convinced if Sony bought Square Enix, they would manage it to your expectations?

Is that right?
Yes Sony is poorly managed in some divisions...
Therfore if it should ever happen for Sony to buy them I sincerely hope they will be reintegrate under SMEJ.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Yes Sony is poorly managed in some divisions...
Therfore if it should ever happen for Sony to buy them I sincerely hope they will be reintegrate under SMEJ.

And you think SMEJ is well run because? I'm guessing you think that just because Fate/Stay is successful.

Hope you realize that if SMEJ ran Square Enix, even more games would end up on PC, Switch/2 and Xbox.

Maybe you haven't noticed the lack of Fate/Stay games on Playstation, certainly no major AAA Fate/Stay games.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
And you think SMEJ is well run because? I'm guessing you think that just because Fate/Stay is successful.

Hope you realize that if SMEJ ran Square Enix, even more games would end up on PC, Switch/2 and Xbox.

Maybe you haven't noticed the lack of Fate/Stay games on Playstation, certainly no major AAA Fate/Stay games.
When PlayStation was under SMEJ (PS1 & PS2 era) they had the best time of their history. Well I agree not putting Fate games on PS is a L's move by Aniplex.

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
I would not be surprised if the reason Fate/Stay Night Remastered isn't on PS4/PS5 is because Tsukihime's art book had to be censored in the PlayStation release and Fate/Stay Night would have had to cut or edit things in game to release, considering it was originally an eroge.

Also the term you're looking for is just "Fate", or perhaps Type Moon titles, or maybe Nasuverse titles (Fate is part of a larger somewhat labrynthian universe spanning some other titles like Tsukihime, Melty Blood, and Garden of Sinners to name a few). There are more Fate series than just Fate/Stay Night, some on PS4 such as Fate/Extella, Fate/Samurai Remnant, and the upcoming Fate/Extra Record

Last edited:

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
When PlayStation was under SMEJ (PS1 & PS2 era) they had the best time of their history. Well I agree not putting Fate games on PS is a L's move by Aniplex.

Like I said, you're delusional. The reason why PlayStation focused on RPGs during the PS1-2 era is because that is what sold, especially in Japan.

That just isn't the case anymore.

There are always people out there who think what you did in the past will make you successful in the future, but things change. You have to adapt.

Arc the Lad was the first major game on PlayStation in Japan. It was a hit release for Sony. They followed it up with Arc the Lad 2, which was also quite successful, but its legs were cut out from under themselves with the release of FF7 months later. Arc the Lad 3 bombed, but Sony stuck with the franchise on PS2 releasing not one but two follow-up games. They were not successful.

Before Monster Hunter and REmake Capcom was floundering. Konami had given up on AAA gaming. Koei Tecmo was and still is a complete joke. Sega had yet to hit it "big" with Yakuza and Persona wasn't really on the map.

Japan fell behind in gaming, unable to keep up with HD demands and pre-rendering that made many Japanese games so successful had fallen out of fashion.

The golden age and even the silver age of Japanese gaming came and went and SMEJ managing PlayStation wouldn't change that. Sony buying Square Enix wouldn't change that.

• haha
Reactions: Eternal_Wings
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Like I said, you're delusional. The reason why PlayStation focused on RPGs during the PS1-2 era is because that is what sold, especially in Japan.

That just isn't the case anymore.

There are always people out there who think what you did in the past will make you successful in the future, but things change. You have to adapt.

Arc the Lad was the first major game on PlayStation in Japan. It was a hit release for Sony. They followed it up with Arc the Lad 2, which was also quite successful, but its legs were cut out from under themselves with the release of FF7 months later. Arc the Lad 3 bombed, but Sony stuck with the franchise on PS2 releasing not one but two follow-up games. They were not successful.

Before Monster Hunter and REmake Capcom was floundering. Konami had given up on AAA gaming. Koei Tecmo was and still is a complete joke. Sega had yet to hit it "big" with Yakuza and Persona wasn't really on the map.

Japan fell behind in gaming, unable to keep up with HD demands and pre-rendering that made many Japanese games so successful had fallen out of fashion.

The golden age and even the silver age of Japanese gaming came and went and SMEJ managing PlayStation wouldn't change that. Sony buying Square Enix wouldn't change that.
You're just too shortsighted. If you can't draw the bigger picture I am sorry. Japan is on the rise and that's the place where Sony is lacking the most. If they want to become relevant in Japan again, they will need to make bigger steps. There is nothing delusional about it.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
You're just too shortsighted. If you can't draw the bigger picture I am sorry. Japan is on the rise and that's the place where Sony is lacking the most. If they want to become relevant in Japan again, they will need to bigger steps. There is not delusional about it.

On the rise how?

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
Money is tight these days and that is why you're not going to see Sony pushing for marketing deals or exclusivity deals, especially if they're not the publisher of a game or have IP rights to a game.
We've seen nothing from PlayStation that indicate they are pumping the brakes on their exclusivity strategy. We continue to see the opposite. Just this year, we've gotten Stellar Blade and Rise of the Ronin which Sony co-marketed and co funded/co-developed. Silent Hill 2 Remake is later this year too. Also, they did a console bundled with Take-Two for NBA 2K25. Kinda not game specific related but PlayStation also extended a new deal with UEFA Champion League for marketing PS5 consoles. I expect next year to be no different. Expect to see more timed exclusives and continue to see publishers marketing their games on PlayStation. More importantly, let not forget Sony been conducting the China Hero Project and announced more addition in the form of India Hero Project and Africa Hero Project. Sony will continue to look for the next Ember Lab or the next Shift Up and help jump start their games in return for timed exclusivity.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
We've seen nothing from PlayStation that indicate they are pumping the brakes on their exclusivity strategy. We continue to see the opposite. Just this year, we've gotten Stellar Blade and Rise of the Ronin which Sony co-marketed and co funded/co-developed. Silent Hill 2 Remake is later this year too.

We absolutely have seen indication that PlayStation isn't doing as many future exclusivity deals. Look back to when all of these games were announced.

Stellar Blade was first teased in 2019 and was announced as an exclusive in 2021.
Rise of the Ronin was announced in 2022.

Silent Hill 2 was also announced in 2022.

These types of games Sony announces far earlier than their own first party titles, yet we don't know any games like this moving forward.

Also, they did a console bundled with Take-Two for NBA 2K25. Kinda not game specific related but PlayStation also extended a new deal with UEFA Champion League for marketing PS5 consoles. I expect next year to be no different. Expect to see more timed exclusives and continue to see publishers marketing their games on PlayStation.

A bundle isn't exclusivity, it's part of a marketing deal.

More importantly, let not forget Sony been conducting the China Hero Project and announced more addition in the form of India Hero Project and Africa Hero Project. Sony will continue to look for the next Ember Lab or the next Shift Up and help jump start their games in return for timed exclusivity.

These incubator projects aren't even necessarily publishing deals nor do they confirm exclusivity. They also aren't the type of games we're talking about here.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Awesome!! Square Enix, Konami, Sega/Atlus, Bandai Namco, Capcom, Koei Tecmo, etc. Get all the Japanese games day one on Xbox. Let's go baby!!! 😂
Makes sense bringing all the games to the most unpopular platform for Japanese games. Xbox will keep getting only the crumbs.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
who the fuck are they going to sell their games on to on xbox?
NOBODY IS BUYING GAMES THERE ! It's dead jim.
And gamepass will only serve to devalue the franchise as id devalues everything.

• fire
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Well...

If I was the Boss of a console brand I should visit at least once a year every medium / big publisher in Japan.

And I'm sure not publisher will deny these visits.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Lersds

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
Publishers are not a charity. Who cares about your feelings. More and more Japanese games are skipping Xbox and that only will get worse.
And yet the publisher released them there???
Square enix has an accounting department and people who determine the worth of doing these things and then released them. It's for them to decide if its worth it or not random forum guy. They released them. Will they sell? Who knows! Probably not. But that's on them!

Reactions: mibu no ookami
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
And yet the publisher released them there???
Square enix has an accounting department and people who determine the worth of doing these things and then released them. It's for them to decide if its worth it or not random forum guy. They released them. Will they sell? Who knows! Probably not. But that's on them!
They don't sell on Xbox well. We have seen it for many years, no decades. Japanese games sell poorly on Xbox and that's a fact. If you say otherwise you're straight up living in a parallel world. These Japanese Publishers only bring their games on Xbox because Microsoft is paying for these ports lol.

• they're_right_you_know

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Phil does these Japanese tours it seems.
Not gonna make any difference lol. FF15 and other Square games were on Xbox last gen, when Xbox was slightly more popular