Phil Spencer and Sarah Bond visiting Square Enix

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
If anything, more and more Japanese publishers will become multi-platform as the years progress because being exclusive to any single platform is simply counterproductive to what they're trying to achieve which is to grow their IP's and fan base worldwide. Can't accomplish this if you're limiting and restricting those who can play your games. In general, the Japanese support on Xbox has easily been the best in over a decade and excluding Final Fantasy, even better than what it was on Xbox 360. Publishers taking exclusivity deals especially if they were signed a decade ago is only going to cost them more money, more sales and decrease the amount of consumers they can get interested in their games to begin with which long term will cost them even more money.

Why so many people can't just be happy that they're getting the game(s) on their preferred platform regardless of who else gets access to the game is beyond me. It makes literally no sense because those claiming to care about the publishers, developers, games and IP's would want them to be available everywhere day one because it's going to benefit them which in turn will benefit us. Praising exclusivity from a third party publisher just to brag about it while 90% of users on that one single platform ignores them (see FF XVI and Rebirth as perfect examples) isn't going to benefit consumers/gamers, the publishers, the developers, the games themselves or the IP's. If anything, it's only going to make things worse instead of better.

The worst argument I always see people say is well, if they're developing for more platforms, the quality will decrease and the game will be worse. And it's like, really? Elden Ring is on 5 platforms and has dominated, Red Dead Redemption 2 is massive and multi-platform day one, Hogwarts Legacy is on 5 platforms and despite some trying to kill the game, it dominated, Assassin's Creed Valhalla was on 5 platforms and is Ubisoft's biggest selling game of all time, Baldur's Gate 3 which started on PC two years before ever releasing on PlayStation 5 had success and is now an even bigger success after releasing on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X/S. And while each of these games have their fair share of issues, they're still high selling, high quality games that people keep going back to for one reason or another.

Then, you'll get games that are exclusive like a Concord or a Redfall that suck, blow chunks, bomb and fall off the planet as they should. It's not about if a game is exclusive or multi-platform. It's about the publisher giving the developers the time, money and resources they need to make a great game. It's that simple. Development studios get time, they'll make a great game 90% of the time. If they don't get time, they'll make a great game 10% of the time. I would much rather have the 90%.

But whatever, it all is what it is and whatever the publishers do, they do. Thankfully, regardless of what any of them do, none of it affects me.

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
GY8ZS1ObAAIQBc_

It looks like they had a presentation.

Game Freak

Banned
3 Oct 2024
I would hate to see Sony acquire SE, as it would negatively impact Nintendo's access to future SE games and therefore the SE must remain independent. I'd rather Tencent buy SE than Sony because that's the only way SE can keep releasing their games for all platforms.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
You're just too shortsighted. If you can't draw the bigger picture I am sorry. Japan is on the rise and that's the place where Sony is lacking the most. If they want to become relevant in Japan again, they will need to make bigger steps. There is nothing delusional about it.
Japan on the rise? Their economy is in the shitter

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Japan on the rise? Their economy is in the shitter
Yeah the Japanese economy does have a crisis indeed. But I was talking from the view of games. Japanese games suffered a huge decline between PS3 and PS4. But now the Japanese studios becoming better in terms of qualities. And most importantly Japanese games have a high value of fun and replay. See Elden Ring, many people who didn’t bother with Japanese games started taking a interest. Just saying Japanese games industry celebrated a comeback.

Last edited:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Yeah the Japanese economy does have a crisis indeed. But I was talking from the view of games. Japanese games suffered a huge decline between PS3 and PS4. But now the Japanese studios becoming better in terms of qualities. And most importantly Japanese games have a high value of fun and replay. See Elden Ring, many people who didn’t bother with Japanese games started taking a interest. Just saying Japanese games industry celebrated a comeback.
Idk korean and chinese games are rising far faster than jp games

akira__

29 Sep 2024
Why is xbox leadership doing the rounds even news?

JRPGs have never sold well on Xbox.
During the Xbox 360 (back when Xbox was competent) they had many exclusive JRPGs but alas they all failed.
Because Xbox gamers love bro shooters.

Games like Hell Divers 2 would probably sold more on Xbox.

We have been doing this for so long, it's starting to feel like a cruel joke.
Instead of weird hopium JRPGs, make some bro shooters for Xbox...

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
GY8ZS1ObAAIQBc_

It looks like they had a presentation.

All I can translate

Lets-and to work-ok team and-Square Enix-our users-the-our partners-

By the way, is that Jason Ranald whatever his name is. The hardware guy? Either they’re talking about new hardware or they’re figuring out to work on the Series Potato.

But yeah, all this looks silly and waste of time. They’ve been trying with Japanese games since the 360 and it doesn’t work.

MS owns 2 large publishers and they still feel they need to beg for games. This company is something else i’m telling you.

🤡

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
So are Bungie, Firewalk and Haven. With this money an acquisition of Square Enix would have been way more worthy for Sony's money. The worst buys in Sony history.
Sony buying Square Enix & the dragon quest ip would be legendary & give a good push in PS in Japan (if they actually made the games permanent exclusive) & forced Japanese gamers to buy PS hardware to access FF, Neir, Dragon Quest & beloved franchises like Crono Trigger, Xenogears, Parasite Eve etc also maybe reviving some of PS japanese rpgs such as Legend of dragoon, Wild Arms, Rogue Galaxy, Dark Cloud.

Instead Sony waste 5 billion in western/eu studios, waste another 400 million in concord & likely waste 200-300 million on fairgames. Sony better prey Marathon is a hit or that will just be another disaster & negative pr added to the PS brand ultimately not benefiting PS console users or even Sony/PS themselves by making these decisions that focus on competitors platform that do nothing then bring negative pr & waste hundreds if not billions of dollars because of the decision of not focusing on PS console solely

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023

Phil and Sarah sure have been busy going around seeing all these Japanese publishers at TGS but at the end of the day they always make time to show PlayStation love. 🤣

• haha

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
Why so many people can't just be happy that they're getting the game(s) on their preferred platform regardless of who else gets access to the game is beyond me.
Tell that to the hypocrites who celebrated the purchases of Zenimax and ABK, in anticipation of Playstation losing access to franchises that would always be released on xbox anyway.

akira__

29 Sep 2024

Phil and Sarah sure have been busy going around seeing all these Japanese publishers at TGS but at the end of the day they always make time to show PlayStation love. 🤣

Why even make a shot with ps4 and ps5 in the frame.
First learning the ps5 controller button and now this. Seems like trolling.

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
"Big impact", dawg, they announced ports of NES games.
>implying enhanced ports of NES and SNES games isn't extremely based
nah man being able to play some of the best jrpgs ever made (especially Final Fantasy VI) is a big deal
Just like how the best announcement at the recent state of play were enhanced ports of PS1 games (LUNAR 1 & 2)

• haha

Orangee

3 Mar 2024
>implying enhanced ports of NES and SNES games isn't extremely based
nah man being able to play some of the best jrpgs ever made (especially Final Fantasy VI) is a big deal
Just like how the best announcement at the recent state of play were enhanced ports of PS1 games (LUNAR 1 & 2)
It's cool I guess, but the remasters kinda suck anyways lol
That font is making me die inside. Just emulate at this point, dont pay 15$ for a crappy romhack.

If bringing a romhack of an oldass game is a "high impact" then the standards really are low.