Phil Spencer: Starfield being 30fps is a "creative choice", not a hardware issue.

Helios

Coolios
11 Jun 2023
Its a sight to behold the entirety of western gaming media circle the wagons for Microsoft. The show was a complete dud and the spin for 30 fps for Starfield is insane. Im still shocked how boring and uneventful that xbox show was. The way Greenberg and Sarah Bond were hyping I really thought they were going to turn a new leaf. I genuinely thought Armored Core 6, Elden Ring DLC, and maybe something random Like Dragon Quest 12 could/would show up there and they didnt.
The extended showcase is in an hour, prepare for an even bigger disappointment

Reactions: Edmund

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Its a sight to behold the entirety of western gaming media circle the wagons for Microsoft. The show was a complete dud and the spin for 30 fps for Starfield is insane. Im still shocked how boring and uneventful that xbox show was. The way Greenberg and Sarah Bond were hyping I really thought they were going to turn a new leaf. I genuinely thought Armored Core 6, Elden Ring DLC, and maybe something random Like Dragon Quest 12 could/would show up there and they didnt.
Yep, it looks more and more unimpressive over time. Worse than last year when you consider that at least could hide behind the lie that they would release everything in the next 12 months.

Everything rides on Starfield and after that they got nothing that could make an impact for years and years to come.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dabaus

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I wonder if he is self-aware.
He clearly is. By the way he talked in that interview after Redfall he is clearly surprised he hasn't been fired yet.

His track record speaks for itself dude has been in charge of Xbox games for about 15 years at this point and that was always the biggest issue with Xbox.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Yes, it's a creative choice. Another one would be to use PS2-like visuals to run it at 120fps in Series S.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Yes, it's a creative choice. Another one would be to use PS2-like visuals to run it at 120fps in Series S.

Of course it is. It's not like better looking games fail to run at 60fps or anything. What's your next excuse?

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
In the meantime we get Horizon Forbidden West rocking at 1080 on the base ps4... 30fps too!

Base ps4 screenshot (allegedly)
37V4zrghSKNYh34CjCaPY8-970-80.jpg.webp

This is almost like the S stood for Scam.

Reactions: PS_ROCKS

Helios

Coolios
11 Jun 2023
In the meantime we get Horizon Forbidden West rocking at 1080 on the base ps4... 30fps too!

Base ps4 screenshot (allegedly)
37V4zrghSKNYh34CjCaPY8-970-80.jpg.webp

This is almost like the S stood for Scam.
Decima engine and RE engine are going to be the last hope once everyone has moved over to unreal engine 5

Edmund

25 Apr 2023
Even Gene Park tried to defend 30 FPS on starfield by attacking FF16. lol. I thought Gene Park is a Nintendo Fanboy.

Last edited:
Reactions: PS_ROCKS

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
MS needs a win with Starfield so the media will circle the wagons just like when Microsoft needed a win with Halo Infinite the media circled the wagons. They'll do their part... gamers ultimately decide. No amount of manufactured hype was able to make Halo Infinite successful. We can already see the flaws, albeit graphically superficial on Starfield. But we know who we're dealing with here, it's Bethesda, and MS at the same time, so that does not inspire faith, much less trust. There is no trust and there shouldn't be any trust - trust is hard earned, not given.

The more media personalities "word" and influence go to the trash, the better gaming will be. They're sheep herders for those who allow themselves to be herded - mediocre college students who decided gaming journalism was their career of choice. Anyone that gives these people's word weight is lowering themselves in an embarrassing fashion. The average hardcore gamer probably has played more games than these influencers ever will - why the fuck pay attention to any word they say? You're the expert on the subject by sheer experience alone, not them. IQ is obviously another matter - specially when not able to come to grips with this simple reality.

Last edited:

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Even Gene Park tried to defend 30 FPS on starfield by attacking FF16. lol. I thought Gene Park is a Nintendo Fanboy.
At least FF XVI offers me the option to run in performance mode.

And it's nice to see the DF guys are back on the MS payroll! Mind you, they are the most quoted source of information when technical analysis is done, so I hope they get good money to scrap their reputation.

Helios

Coolios
11 Jun 2023
At least FF XVI offers me the option to run in performance mode.

And it's nice to see the DF guys are back on the MS payroll! Mind you, they are the most quoted source of information when technical analysis is done, so I hope they get good money to scrap their reputation.
Digital Foundry was called out by nxgamer for saying the return of 30fps to console gaming is near by using plague tale, as he said their "Smoking Gun"

The old dude from digital foundry played hfw in the quality mode when the performance mode had shimmering issues and started talking about how 30fps is not the end of the world and at first you agree with him, but then after plague tale they wrote an article about it spreading doom and gloom about the future of 60fps on consoles, now plague tale has 120fps mode and so they are now going to use starfield as their new example

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Will it still be a creative choice when they patch it to 60 fps next gen?

Helios

Coolios
11 Jun 2023
Will it still be a creative choice when they patch it to 60 fps next gen?
Watch all the people who are saying now 30fps doesnt matter get pissed off that they had to experience a lesser version of the game after the 60fps update hits

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Watch all the people who are saying now 30fps doesnt matter get pissed off that they had to experience a lesser version of the game after the 60fps update hits
There is a group of people who play at 30fps anyway (I assume they are represented on every platform).

But given how MS emphasized on smoothness over everything else in their PR since Halo 5, and especially in the run up to the new generation... Well, they should pay the price with their reputation when they deliver a sub par product like this.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty