Phil Spencer: Starfield being 30fps is a "creative choice", not a hardware issue.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
The pc recommended specs they have shared doesn't specify whether they are for 60fps or 30fps, they don't look too powerful than a ps5 or xbox so im going to assume it is for 30fps.
With how PCs perform these days, it is probably for 14.5 FPS.

Nitro

10 Apr 2023
North Pole
bDvdAIl.jpg

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Not a problem. Why the PS3 facial models and facial animations?

Fact is the engine is shit and Bethesda didn't invest properly in it as it should have for the last 10 years. Simple as.

Since 30 fps is the easy console warring point... they will rightfully be dragged through the mud. Clearly the 30 fps twitter trending got their attention. Their media plants couldn't see that one coming... or at least, didn't expect it to blow up amid the positive shilling as it did. As expected, damage control mode engaged. Standards are already fucking low in this industry. At this point, anyone getting dragged is more or less a positive grand scheme. Serial offenders like MS and Bethesda, a match made in heaven per say even more so.

If this game was pushing the system, say something along the lines of the U5 Matrix demo.... they get a pass, rightfully but nope.

Last edited:

Kereke12

Banned
4 May 2023
What i learned after launch of next gen about Xbox Series X is that:

- It's not the most powerful console ever
- 60fps is not its Standard output
- It doesn't eat monsters for breakfast

Bonus:

FuUlD4AXoAEEW5S.jpg
Jesus the many lies Xbox has given are astonishing, not even Nintendo lied this much with the Wii U and people on Twitter will defend it.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: SSfox

Nitro

10 Apr 2023
North Pole
The guy said it was a capability compared to existing consoles... which is true.

That kind of statement is fine.
"The upgrade will allow developers to make no compromises on frame rates" is inflated PR blurb, as Todd Howard opted for high fidelity graphics and detailed scenery over 60fps on console. From his own mouth.

• haha
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
If Starfield pulls off its scope and retains the Bethesda style sandbox I do think it will be a technical achievement.

Expecting better than 30fps on console or it to even launch anywhere close to stable is a pipe dream and when considering the Series S handicap. This game will have issues on the most powerful rigs for years. Launching in as poor of a state as Cyberpunk did on last gen hardware is what Bethesda is best at.

Cyberpunk and Starfield suffer from not really being built with consoles as standard or even for most pcs. They’re built to sell for the next decade of hardware. It’s the old pc dev mindset that is mostly now extinct. It’ll be a mess for sure.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
If Starfield pulls off its scope and retains the Bethesda style sandbox I do think it will be a technical achievement.

Expecting better than 30fps on console or it to even launch anywhere close to stable is a pipe dream and when considering the Series S handicap. This game will have issues on the most powerful rigs for years. Launching in as poor of a state as Cyberpunk did on last gen hardware is what Bethesda is best at.

Cyberpunk and Starfield suffer from not really being built with consoles as standard or even for most pcs. They’re built to sell for the next decade of hardware. It’s the old pc dev mindset that is mostly now extinct. It’ll be a mess for sure.
While I support the push of 30fps for better graphical fidelity...

Starfield is not doing it.
With the actual graphical fidelity they pushed that game should be running at 120fps.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022

That's because the engine is shit, not because the game is doing something crazy.

Load of bullshit. There's ZERO that Cyberpunk does that had not been done before to a higher standard, absolutely nothing. Yeah, it has pretty graphics, but thats it. Every sub-system in that game is shit. Hell, their "police" system is outdone by early 2000s games.

Helios

Coolios
11 Jun 2023
That's because the engine is shit, not because the game is doing something crazy.

Load of bullshit. There's ZERO that Cyberpunk does that had not been done before to a higher standard, absolutely nothing. Yeah, it has pretty graphics, but thats it. Every sub-system in that game is shit. Hell, their "police" system is outdone by early 2000s games.
True, using starfield to spread gloom and doom about consoles is wrong, people are already saying that 30fps is back on cards because of this unoptimized trash when even plague tale requiem added 120fps mode and people were using it as an example that 60fps is never going to happen moving forward, all those people are awfully silent now after the 120fps update.

Also right now people on other forums are pilling on consoles, they are in for a shock for when they will find out the recommened specs for pc arent much powerful than a ps5/xsx and are most probably meant for 30fps. To run it at a stable framerate its going to require a beefy pc that wont run it optimized but rather brute force its way through this shit

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Also right now people on other forums are pilling on consoles, they are in for a shock for when they will find out the recommened specs for pc arent much powerful than a ps5/xsx and are most probably meant for 30fps. To run it at a stable framerate its going to require a beefy pc that wont run it optimized but rather brute force its way through this shit

YEP!

I also love that some astroturfers are claiming shit like object permanency is the best thing since sliced bread. Like, Project Zomboid has global object permanency since... ever? i know it's not even comparable graphically, but it's possible with limited to no CPU impact. Basically you break your world into sections / levels / whatever, store the information somewhere, and retrieve when you're back. It's not like that shit is always stored in RAM.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: PS_ROCKS

Helios

Coolios
11 Jun 2023
YEP!

I also love that some astroturfers are claiming shit like object permanency is the best thing since sliced bread. Like, Project Zomboid has global object permanency since... ever? i know it's not even comparable graphically, but it's possible with limited to no CPU impact. Basically you break your world into sections / levels / whatever, store the information somewhere, and retrieve when you're back. It's not like that shit is always stored in RAM.
Object permanency is some monkey brain neuron activation stuff when it is first explained to someone, it sounds so cool but once you play through these games and find out what a bug ridden trash they are you start to feel that object permanency isn't worth all the jank and its time to switch to a new engine

The only object permanency bethesda games have for me is their permanent place in the recycle bin whenever i think i should give them a fair chance and redownload them

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Object permanency is some monkey brain neuron activation stuff when it is first explained to someone, it sounds so cool but once you play through these games and find out what a bug ridden trash they are you start to feel that object permanency isn't worth all the jank and its time to switch to a new engine

The only object permanency bethesda games have for me is their permanent place in the recycle bin whenever i think i should give them a fair chance and redownload them
I bet that under the hood all they have is some unoptimized data structure they made in 1997 to keep track of where the objects are.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Its a sight to behold the entirety of western gaming media circle the wagons for Microsoft. The show was a complete dud and the spin for 30 fps for Starfield is insane. Im still shocked how boring and uneventful that xbox show was. The way Greenberg and Sarah Bond were hyping I really thought they were going to turn a new leaf. I genuinely thought Armored Core 6, Elden Ring DLC, and maybe something random Like Dragon Quest 12 could/would show up there and they didnt.