PlayStation 5 Technical Presentation (9/10/2024)

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
PC dudes pocket watching console players will never be funny. These out here trying to pitch us spending $1000 on PC is cheaper than spending $700 on a console.

I have a few friends like that. They keep asking me to build a rig with a 4080/4090 but always complain about the high prices of consoles and games. That rig would be like $2500

• brain
Reactions: The Icon

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Gosh I need to get my PS2 library up here

What is your point?

I also have a massive retro collection.

What does that have to do with anything.

You are a PC Steam enthusiast.

We didn’t make it up. Your posts say so.

KvallyX

Veteran
Icon Extra
13 Nov 2023
Your Mom
The PS4 Pro came out 3 years after the PS4, and the PS5 Pro is coming out 4 years after the PS5. Is the PS5 Pro a larger jump than the PS4 Pro?

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
The PS4 Pro came out 3 years after the PS4, and the PS5 Pro is coming out 4 years after the PS5. Is the PS5 Pro a larger jump than the PS4 Pro?

It's hard to say, but I don’t think so. The PS4 Pro's power increase was nearly double.
Of course, the manufacturing node halved for the PS4 Pro but not for the PS5 Pro, I believe.

• Heart
Reactions: KvallyX

KvallyX

Veteran
Icon Extra
13 Nov 2023
Your Mom
It's hard to say, but I don’t think so. The PS4 Pro's power increase was nearly double.
Of course, the manufacturing node halved for the PS4 Pro but not for the PS5 Pro, I believe.
Thanks. I don't know anything about computers or tech, so all the stuff they show is pure gibberish to me.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
Thanks. I don't know anything about computers or tech, so all the stuff they show is pure gibberish to me.

Keep in mind, there are more factors at play here that might make the PS5 Pro a bigger jump in image quality and framerate, like PSSR. We’ll see soon enough.

Reactions: KvallyX

ApolloHelios

2 Jul 2022
Yeah no node reduction this time around so the die will be much bigger. CUs might’ve been also made more efficient. They have added new blocks too it seems as PSSR is hw accelerated. Also RT improvements could be with different blocks that are redesigned and larger than base model.

Reactions: Entropi

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Almost.

PS5 at least gives you the option of Physical.

Steam doesn’t.

That was the point.
I see. So then I didn't understand initially.
But that said - steam does not need disc option. you can kinda... maybe crack your game and copy to external drive if you want.

The disc drive is 100€ where i'm at and i don't need the stand.

So, 900€ for me. A crap ton of money for a console but still cheaper than upgrading my PC, lol.
I've already ordered the disc drive and stand... I already see the disc drive starting to go up in price

• Heart
Reactions: Muddasar

Ico

Icon Extra
8 May 2024
Im genuienly concerned about the future of Playstation at the moment. Its not just that insane, completely out of touch price point, its that it doesnt even include a disc drive. I get the feeling the same people who thought something like Concord would be a hit are now steering the ship at Playstation with these decisions. They should have at least attached a small state of play to show new software running on it to at least make the price somewhat palatable.

Its not that i cant afford one, i can. My concern is this will be such a dud developers wont want to take advantage of it because the installed base doesnt justify it. I was day one up until i saw that price. Ill wait and see now.

the text about the stand being sold separately was kinda hilarious, it surprised me that current sony is also giving you a controller with it... im glad this is a super optional thing, but im gonna be sad if they increase the price of games again

Reactions: Entropi

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
PC dudes pocket watching console players will never be funny. These out here trying to pitch us spending $1000 on PC is cheaper than spending $700 on a console.
the pro is still cheaper than a 4070 I think.
And the new XSX is 600$. Now that's a stupid price

24 Jun 2022
I'm a bit conflicted on the presentation and the Pro itself ATM.

The presentation was really more an ad or infomercial than a presentation proper, so we didn't get to see Mark Cerny do his thing. Apparently there's a blog post; I'll give it a read and see if more technical details are divulged therein.

I don't feel a lot of the games used to show off the boosts were great picks; SM2, GT7 & Rift Apart showed things off the best but even there, in some parts I struggled to see the big gains. Maybe it's diminishing returns coming into play, but visuals-wise something like full-on RT GI or the like, or nigh CG-level fidelity, are going to have much bigger immediate impact for visual gain than resolution increases or even IQ clarity.

The price...look, I've said plenty of times any price is a good price if the product can justify it through value proposition. The 3DO was $699 and failed because they failed to justify that price. Same with systems in the past like the Saturn & PC-FX, or "cheap" systems of their time like the 32X (add-on but still) and Jaguar, or more modern systems like the Wii U and Xbox Series. A system being "too expensive" is always relative to what value it clearly brings to the market, and that's reflected in the sales.

Just off of the presentation they did, I don't know if the PS5 Pro has justified its $699 price point to a large slice of prospective buyers. Seems like a lot of you ITT are down for picking one up, but I'm talking people at large. I guess we'll see when preorders open up, that's assuming no other demonstrations of what the Pro brings occur between now and then (surely we'll see more and learn more details).

Simply being more powerful than the PS5 might not be enough without showing that advantage is substantial, even if it's the same product with that PlayStation branding. And that's ultimately kind of the issue with the presentation/reveal: little of what they showed seemed like a substantial enough jump in performance (or feature offerings of the Pro itself) over the base PS5. No mention of things like 8K TV support benefits, or rumored BC features and media playback options, or PSVR2 & PS Portal benefits, just compound on that feeling for me.

If things remain as-is, I kind of have a hard time seeing the PS5 Pro performing as well as the PS4 Pro did, and that's before even stepping on the landmine of SIE ports to PC (Steam) this gen, which has introduced another element against the PS5 Pro the PS4 Pro never had to deal with.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: arvfab and Entropi

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
I'm a bit conflicted on the presentation and the Pro itself ATM.

The presentation was really more an ad or infomercial than a presentation proper, so we didn't get to see Mark Cerny do his thing. Apparently there's a blog post; I'll give it a read and see if more technical details are divulged therein.

I don't feel a lot of the games used to show off the boosts were great picks; SM2, GT7 & Rift Apart showed things off the best but even there, in some parts I struggled to see the big gains. Maybe it's diminishing returns coming into play, but visuals-wise something like full-on RT GI or the like, or nigh CG-level fidelity, are going to have much bigger immediate impact for visual gain than resolution increases or even IQ clarity.

The price...look, I've said plenty of times any price is a good price if the product can justify it through value proposition. The 3DO was $699 and failed because they failed to justify that price. Same with systems in the past like the Saturn & PC-FX, or "cheap" systems of their time like the 32X (add-on but still) and Jaguar, or more modern systems like the Wii U and Xbox Series. A system being "too expensive" is always relative to what value it clearly brings to the market, and that's reflected in the sales.

Just off of the presentation they did, I don't know if the PS5 Pro has justified its $699 price point to a large slice of prospective buyers. Seems like a lot of you ITT are down for picking one up, but I'm talking people at large. I guess we'll see when preorders open up, that's assuming no other demonstrations of what the Pro brings occur between now and then (surely we'll see more and learn more details).

Simply being more powerful than the PS5 might not be enough without showing that advantage is substantial, even if it's the same product with that PlayStation branding. And that's ultimately kind of the issue with the presentation/reveal: little of what they showed seemed like a substantial enough jump in performance (or feature offerings of the Pro itself) over the base PS5. No mention of things like 8K TV support benefits, or rumored BC features and media playback options, or PSVR2 & PS Portal benefits, just compound on that feeling for me.

If things remain as-is, I kind of have a hard time seeing the PS5 Pro performing as well as the PS4 Pro did, and that's before even stepping on the landmine of SIE ports to PC (Steam) this gen, which has introduced another element against the PS5 Pro the PS4 Pro never had to deal with.

Yeah, I guess we’ll see Mark on full geek mode in a few years for the Road to PS6 presentation.

Dr. E99

1 Sep 2024
The PS5 Pro being $700 is what happens when Xbox cashes it in and Sony has no competition.

You can bet the PS6 is gonna retail for $600+ and games are gonna creep up to $80 and beyond.