Playstation backed studio Deviation games hit with layoffs

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
This sucks for the team but, once again as I have said before, I do not care for GAAS and never will.

If Call of Duty is considering Gaas, Sony need games like that. It was meant to have a single player story mode too. No harm in that.

I dont really care about FPS and sony already have Bungie and Firewalk working on games.

You dont care but its something Playstation is missing. They need more than a cross platform space shooter like Destiny. They need a few.
Same with new JRPG’s and WRPG. Plus some niche titles

Last edited:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Is that the reason why Stig went to EA? If so I have questions of Shu's taste level. They lost a major talent
Wonder if that's part of why Hermen replaced him tbh, Shu has great taste in games but he does have blind spots.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Is that the reason why Stig went to EA? If so I have questions of Shu's taste level. They lost a major talent
Yep. He didnt really believe in Demons Souls either.
Didnt they avoide Dark Souls because of that?

Wonder if that's part of why Hermen replaced him tbh, Shu has great taste in games but he does have blind spots.

I dont know if Herman is any better. We’ll see when the games he’s been in charge of come out in these coming years

Last edited:
24 Jun 2022
Looks like it is not canceled???

AFAIK MBG isn't an insider so this is just him maybe assuming the game isn't cancelled for whatever reason. Such as being optimistic it's still in development.

Which, hey, would be cool if such is the case. I still hope PixelOpus's game is in development in some fashion. But not much to go off on until further info's provided (if it's ever provided).

Sleepy Brown

Banned
5 Jul 2022
Not Sony owned so try again
I never said Deviation Games is a Sony studio. I said they canceled their game:
Meanwhile Sony has canceled the game they made in collaboration with Deviation Games (ex Call of Duty devs). The game many people here thought might rival Call of Duty.
As you can see, it's not easy to make a Call of Duty competitor. EA learned this with Battlefield. Sony learned this with Deviation Games.
Read your own shit 🤡
Yeah sure... 🤡
I don't like the changes under the new management. Sony is seriously disappointing this generation
Sony's management isn't the problem. They're just finally taking multiplayer games seriously.
The problem is AAA development and working with no-name studios like Deviation Games (Sony) or Striking Distance Studios (Krafton).
Quite a lot of AAA games are getting canceled. That's the reality of AAA game development. It happens all the time.
I guess Hermen didn't like what he saw and killed it. It makes no sense to pump more money into another Anthem or Redfall. Cancel the game, save the costs and move on. Firewalk and Haven were successful. Deviation Games... not so much. The partnership with Sony is over. The game is dead.
The last one on Sony's list is Ballistic Moon.

This just shows you that it isn't easy to start a new AAA studio. You can have a ton of talent and industry veterans but they have to work as a huge team. A working AAA studio. It has to click. Look at Sony's Manchester Studio or Microsoft's The Initiative. Creating new studios is hard. Most of the time it doesn't work. That's why the big corporations are rather buying studios or publishers instead of building new ones. It's easier and you know they have experience in making good games. It just works.

Reactions: Kokoloko

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I never said Deviation Games is a Sony studio. I said they canceled their game:

Yeah sure... 🤡

Sony's management isn't the problem. They're just finally taking multiplayer games seriously.
The problem is AAA development and working with no-name studios like Deviation Games (Sony) or Striking Distance Studios (Krafton).
Quite a lot of AAA games are getting canceled. That's the reality of AAA game development. It happens all the time.
I guess Hermen didn't like what he saw and killed it. It makes no sense to pump more money into another Anthem or Redfall. Cancel the game, save the costs and move on. Firewalk and Haven were successful. Deviation Games... not so much. The partnership with Sony is over. The game is dead.
The last one on Sony's list is Ballistic Moon.

This just shows you that it isn't easy to start a new AAA studio. You can have a ton of talent and industry veterans but they have to work as a huge team. A working AAA studio. It has to click. Look at Sony's Manchester Studio or Microsoft's The Initiative. Creating new studios is hard. Most of the time it doesn't work. That's why the big corporations rather buy studios or publishers instead of building new ones. It's easier and you know they have experience in making good games. It just works.
Callisto Protocol was actually decent though. It's actually really good considering it's their first game.

Reactions: nongkris

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
It launched with a ton of bugs and the combat/shooting was horrendous.
Metacritic 69 (hehe). And it looks like the budget was $162 million. That's just not good enough.
Maybe my experience was different since i didnt play it til 3 months after launch and on PC. Will say that the FSR implementation was trash though

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Wait, what? Are you actually sure about this? That was Cory Balrog's main project after GOW 2018 correct? There is no way they actually cancelled it so I think you have heard misinformation on that one.

I'm gonna need some actual confirmation on this because if that's the case....alongside the PixelOpus game possibly being cancelled, I'm not really sure how much I would be looking forward to the rest of PS's marquee AAA lineup if it's just going to be more sequels tbh.
Not Cory's game. A scifi game by stig assumen that was cancelled before gow 2018 came out.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
It launched with a ton of bugs and the combat/shooting was horrendous.
Metacritic 69 (hehe). And it looks like the budget was $162 million. That's just not good enough.
It failed.
It's funny how people try to rewrite history. they uploaded the wrong day 1 patch so the game had performance issues ONLY on shitty PC, the same platform which later had two high profile performance issues in TLOU Part 1 and Jedi Survivor. Calisto is a great game and released in a great state on console.

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Shu is across external development so I expect he was probably across the cancellation of this game too

Nobody has a 100% strike rate, and definitely not Shu (Souls series being the prime example) but if you will credit him with that failure you need to credit him for success with Uncharted, Horizon, GOW etc

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Pretty sure Stigs game was cancelled because it was too similar to Destiny

Ironically in the long term Sony ended up owning Destiny and were able to get super cosy with Bungie

Sometimes it's not even a quality thing but strategic objective

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Sleepy Brown

Banned
5 Jul 2022
It's funny how people try to rewrite history. they uploaded the wrong day 1 patch so the game had performance issues ONLY on shitty PC, the same platform which later had two high profile performance issues in TLOU Part 1 and Jedi Survivor. Calisto is a great game and released in a great state on console.
It was bad.
Even the "69 on Metacritic" says it's just mid.
How did you know it was the Deviation game

👀
Common sense. Final Strike Games worked as a support studio for Deviation Games. Sony canceled Deviation's game. So Final Strike Games fired over 40% of their employees and Deviation Games fired over 90 devs.
It's Joever.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
It was bad.
Even the "69 on Metacritic" says it's just mid.

Common sense. Final Strike Games worked as a support studio for Deviation Games. Sony canceled Deviation's game. So Final Strike Games fired over 40% of their employees and Deviation Games fired over 90 devs.
It's Joever.

Did you actually play the game? It didn't deserve a 69. It's a mid to high 70s game even with all the problems it had.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
It's Joever.
After looking into it, it was already known since October 2022 that First Strike was working with Deviation for a Sony game. I thought it was new information. Sorry my bad.